“Expectations exceeded” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 148 Restaurants in Jimbaran
Cuisines: International, Contemporary, Tapas
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Cuca serves SIGNATURE cuisine made exclusively from the best and freshest local ingredients. We are a casual dining destination that tempts you with three reasons to come: tapas, cocktails, and desserts, and three spaces to experience: an interactive and exciting food bar, a relaxed and intimate dining room and a chilled out garden lounge. Choose the space that suits you best and come with an open mind and an empty stomach!
Melbourne, Australia
“Expectations exceeded”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I'd never heard of this restaurant but was talking to a guy on the beach who told me it was the best restaurant in Bali. Big call! But as we were staying virtually next door, we thought we'd give it a go. And I've got to say we were very impressed. The service was excellent. As one review mentioned, if anything, it was too quick. I liked seeing all the chefs at work in the kitchen. If you are interested, they have a counter which allows you to eat facing the open side of the kitchen and even have a word or two with the chef. We didn't do this. We sat in the main area which is somewhat partitioned by some short curtain sections giving each table a feeling of privacy while still being part of the whole restaurant. It is reasonably quiet which is a nice change from 'those places' in Seminyak. The food was great. It is tapas style but many of the dishes done in a way I've not come across before. The prices I thought were very reasonable for the quality of food and the fine dining experience as a whole. Not cheap by Bali standards, of course, but way less than you would pay in a restaurant of this quality in Australia. One criticism I have is that there was no kids menu. Basically kids don't belong in any top notch restaurant but when you're on holiday it is not that easy to ditch them! I mentioned this on our way out and they assured me they were putting one together the following month. In short, if you are in Bali, I recommend you at least put this near or at the top of your list. If you are in Jimbaran it is a must, as is gorging on seafood at one of the beach restaurants.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Perth, Australia
“Great Eating Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

As a regular visitor to Bali I arrived with a list of the restaurants that are generally my favourite. I read the review on Tripadvisor for Cuca and decided to give it a try. I am so pleased I did. It was a unique eating experience. On arrival the chef Kevin came to our table to introduce himself and have a friendly chat which made us feel as though we were his only guests in the restaurant.
The presentation and combinations of the food had my taste buds jumping and jiving. From the bread roll that resembled candy floss and disappeared on impact with my tongue to the sesame dust on one of the dishes I can honestly say it was more a gastronomic delight than a meal. The service is magnificent and I was so impressed with the place I cancelled one of the other restaurants on my list so I could go back and try different dishes a few nights later. I highly recommend this place but if you are expecting a huge plate of regular food then its not for you.
Well done Kevin and your staff you have created something totally different.

Hong Kong, China
“Affordable option for El Bulli/ Michelin cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This restaurant caught my attention because of the background of the El Bulli/ Michelin star chef Kevin Cherkas. Sometimes people get disappointed because some chefs or restaurants are over-rated by media and that raises the bar of expectations, but Cuca is one that has done a genuine impressive job in multiple ways.

I really like that the place is designed to be minimal and down-to-earth with simple fittings and chic colour tones. You can see the actions in the open kitchen, it's very theatrical and enjoyable to watch over your meal.

The menu prices are very approachable starting from about US$ 3 each. My favourite ceviche is the BBQ octopus and smoke fish (forget the dish name). The san gria is very special because they made a twist to the taste. Knowing the restaurant uses fresh and local ingredients, it makes me appreciate their food more cause I find it a great idea to blend Spanish concept and Balinese ingredients.

I spotted on their flyer that there is a food tasting class for learning the secret of how to create tasting dishes without needing recipes and basically how to taste and understand flavour. I am planning to visit again for this class which seems to be a perfect gift and dining choice for special occasion, or simply for a foodie like me!

No regret for my visit!

England
“Shame”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We have just been to Cuca and had cocktails and Tapas..... we were very excited about this visit but it turned out to be a disappointment......

Everything was a bit over complicated we can't say anything was bad but we haven't come away from there thinking anything was particularly yummy. We do feel bad about not such a good review as the chef did serve us personally and explained all the dishes but it just wasn't that great. This guy and his team clearly have skills but the solutions are way too complex.

We are supposed to going back with our fabby chef and the GM from where we are staying but I think we will be having a discussion before we rush back.

It is a real shame we were really looking forward to Cuca but it was a big let down for us, that is not to say others would not be delighted.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Forget boring fine dining restaurants that keep on repeating the same old menu. This place delivers creative, innovative and visually beautiful dishes packed with delightful flavours using local Balinese produces. The staff at Cuca are so friendly and made us feel at home.
Our fav dishes were the delicate fish ceviche, flavoursome bbq octopus and of course, the outstanding bali breakfast dessert. We were not so keen on the puddles but i think that's a matter of personal preference.
We were also very lucky to have tasted Cuca's chocolate ice-cream which is not on the menu. It was just divine!!!
Thank you Kevin and Virginia for sharing with us your passion for food. We really enjoyed the whole dining experience.