“Nice hotel, fantastic Rock Bar!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of AYANA Resort and Spa

You added AYANA Resort and Spa to your Saves list
AYANA Resort and Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan Karang Mas Sejahtera, Jimbaran, Bali 80364, Indonesia   |
Special Offer
FREE $50 Credits
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Jimbaran
London, UK
“Nice hotel, fantastic Rock Bar!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Booked a resort view room which was pleasantly decorated and a nice size. There was a nice big day bed on the balcony and the room though facing into the resort was not directly overlooked at all. This is a very big hotel, very busy and seems popular with Japanese tourists. Check in was efficient but compared to some of the other places we stayed during this trip seemed a much less relaxing experience with lots of people/kids running around.

We were only here for one night and booked up to experience the Rock bar mainly. It was very worth it for us. We arrived at 5pm at the bar to find a large queue we were able to bypass and get priority entry. We were found a table straight away in the packed bar although the view was not as good as we wanted. A bit later on when space freed up, being hotel guests we were moved to a much better area of the bar higher up which only guests can use. The bar really is spectacular and the crashing dramatic waves are worth seeing. The drinks and service were also really good. The bar staff kindly arranged dinner for us in the Kisik restaurant on the beach, again we had a lovely table by the sea edge.

We did have a couple of issues when we first arrived. The plug sockets didn't work and we couldn't charge phones etc. We had to put several calls in to reception before maintenance arrived and fixed the problem. WIFI was also not working and again this required several phone calls until it was ascertained my details had been put in back to front hence I could not log in using my name.

Breakfast was good although did not really feel like a 5 star experience. It was all self serve and again a very big busy space. I think it is best suited to families or larger groups rather than couples or those wanting peace and quiet. The part of the hotel with villas etc will cater to those wanting to relax in more luxurious surroundings I imagine. This hotel was very good value and I would recommend it though maybe not for a long stay. It is not within walking distance of other restaurants or attractions and is quite remote compared to the rest of the action in Jimbaran.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
AYANARESORT, General Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear ‘Kittkey’

Thank you for sharing your experience at AYANA, I am glad you found your Resort View Room comfortable and spacious. I am delighted you enjoyed the Priority Access to Rock Bar and the best seats in the top bar area, and your dining experience at the adjacent Kisik Seafood Restaurant on the beach.

I am also glad that our team members were able to resolve the issues you experienced upon check-in. In regards to breakfast, I note your comment and am pleased to update you that we have introduced a new benefit for our guests, to enjoy breakfast at a choice of three restaurants. Each breakfast venue offers a different experience; for example Dava serves a la carte breakfast (limitless selection) in a sophisticated setting, and you may want to try this next time you visit. As you mentioned, AYANA is located on the cliffs above Jimbaran Bay, about 15 minutes from the airport and 30 minutes from the hustle and bustle of Kuta/Seminyak area, a perfect place for guests looking for total relaxation.

Again thank you very much for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back perhaps for a longer stay and a different breakfast experience next time.

Best regards,

Roger Habermacher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Off the hustle bustle of the main Bali beaches, this lovely property is a unwind from the minute you step in. The rock bar is amazing place to enjoy a few drinks and watch the sunset. Great music and atmosphere. Tip: At about $ 350 a night, not exactly cheap and to get the best out of Ayana and your money, maximise time at the hotel, the bar and at the pool and do Bali shopping and sight seeing after switching to a cheaper hotel room.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Guangzhou, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The most fantastic place I have ever stayed at. Although I have stayed in many gorgeous hotels across the world, I have to say Ayaya has the best view ever!!! The rock bar and swimming pool is unforgettable.
The only disappointment is that the beach is not suitable for swimming, but view and the color of the water is AMAZING!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

This was my first time (and absolutely the last) staying at Ayana. Been to Bali many times, been to many 5-star hotels in Bali. And Ayana is by far the worst 5-star hotel i've stayed at.

I asked the front desk upon check-in if the hotel rooms were newly renovated and got an answer yes, this was important because old rooms to me are spooky and scary.

Front desk also tried to give me a room on the 2nd floor, which, according to her, was a higher-grade room, with twin beds, while I requested a double bed because I was with husband and an infant.
The lady said my travel agent confirmed a twin-bed room, which was funny to me (and frankly speaking, I thought it was only an excuse the hotel made to spare the king-bed room for some reason they only knew? Since this was the same issue as other reviewers who complained about the same thing, too, they also suspected it was on their purpose to give guests a twin-bed room instead of double-bed as requested in advance.
I stayed in 4 different hotels during my vacation this time, and Ayana was my last night's stay. The other hotels we stayed earlier were all booked via the same agency and all confirmed double-bed with no mistake at all. So?? Judge for yourself.

I pushed them to give me a double-bed room, and they said all were full, if I insisted I would have to wait for 30 mins, so I agreed. It was already 3.30 pm by the way. They said the double-bed room for me needed to be cleaned first because guests just checked out (????) and so I waited. But after only 5 mins waiting, some man came to me saying room was ready. When entering the room I asked how could a room be cleaned that fast if guests just checked out. The man told me it had actually been cleaned before. (?????)

Okay so it wasn't important. The thing is, I got so disappointed to find how old the room was. No good smell like u r supposed to find in a international 5-star hotel. Furnitures were old, dark, TV was so old-fashioned, doors of storages were so poor. OMG, I could get a waaay better room with half the price of what I paid for Ayana!!!

The steels stuff in the bathroom were stained. Shower room was sooo narrow, stuff were old-fashioned and worn out not representing a 5-star hotel. When the shower room door was opened, it almost hit the hanging bar right in front of the door.

The worst was, bugs were in our room. Itchy little green bugs were inside the bathroom, mosquitos were in bedroom and bathroom.

My baby was super starving because it wasnt easy for us to get a seat in 3 of their restaurants just because we didn't make reservations. We had to go up and down the stairs in vain just to find out we couldn't eat in their places because we had no reservations. And we saw empty tables, instead.

We were so hopeless that we then decided to dine at to'ge Rimba, their sister hotel. Prices were not cheap at all considering their food was so so, but service was nice and good.

I would have added another 50 USD to get me a room in Mulia (I had the most pleasant classy stay at Mulia when in Bali) rather than in Ayana.

I wouldn't complain if I got what I paid for Ayana. When I read about the terrible comments from the other reviewers, I tried to think positive that maybe I wouldnt experience the bad things here, but one of the reviewers is right, the same issues complained by different guests over and over again means there is no improvement and correction, I should have known!

I had a hard time sleeping at night becausd I got itchy from the bugs, I hurried when showering because bathroom was spooky and old and dirty.

Ayana is not a place if you are to bring your kids to play on the sand at the beach. It is hot all day long, no trees whatsoever on the seaside so no shade for you to hide from coarching sun.
One has to go thru 197 steps up and down the stairs to reach and leave Kubu Beach, ayana's private beach.

Towels are just below standard of 5-star hotel. Low quality towels!!!

I had to call housekeeping too because there were no shower gel and shampoos in my bathroom.

If you are one who can tolerate and doesnt mind low standards, then try Ayana. This is definitely a public place, too many outsiders, no privacy for guests. Bye bye Ayana, for good! Wont be coming back.

• Stayed May 2014
AYANARESORT, General Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear ‘270885jakarta’

Thank you for your feedback after staying at AYANA Resort and Spa.

I regret to hear that your experience was not up to expectations, and certainly not up to the service standards on which our team take pride in delivering. I sincerely apologize for the miscommunication in regards to your request for a King room, rather than Twin, and that you felt uncomfortable during your stay. We have shared your feedback with our Housekeeping leader and team to investigate thoroughly based on your feedback and comments. With 650 rooms across the resort, we do not tolerate any shortfall in hygiene or quality and do not compromise our standards. With this in mind, we are always upgrading and reviewing our facilities, and all 290 rooms and suites in the hotel were completely renovated in 2011. The architecture of AYANA is traditional Balinese, and the renovation maintained this Balinese style and charm. Our new sister hotel RIMBA Jimbaran Bali features 282 more modern, chic rooms which offer a different style and ambience to AYANA’s traditional design.

Again thank you for your feedback, I hope that we still have a chance to welcome you back perhaps at RIMBA with its more modern style.

Best regards,

Roger Habermacher
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I will say that this place is amazing. The pool at the bottom by the ocean is breathtaking but you have to get there early to get a place because only about 18 people or less can hang out down there at one time. That being said the grounds are amazing. The other pool is just as relaxing and they walk around giving you ice cold water bottles. The rock bar on the property is also amazing place for sun set drinks. Our room was very lovely, I loved the decor and our view of the ocean. The breakfast buffet was also good. I am sad we did not take a free golf cart ride around the resort to see more of it because I know there were many restaurants and other bars we did not even know about. I would do this both at night and during the day as the place changes dramatically and I think the place is beautiful each way.

Now things to think about. It is expensive to stay here. So if you have a lot of money go ahead it is worth it. But if you are like me and you like your buck to go a little bit longer maybe it is not the best idea. Romantic weekend get away, sure. But the hotel is very isolated. It is at the end of the hotel row. You can not walk anywhere except to other parts of the resort. The food in the lobby bar was not good at all and extremely over priced. To be honest we did not have good food anywhere except for in the rock bar. Also, you do not have to stay at this hotel to go to the rock bar.
If you do stay here and you want somewhere to go for dinner just get in a taxi and go to the Jimbaran Beach. It is like a 5 dollar cab ride and you can have fresh seafood cook for you right on the beach for very very reasonable prices.

Other then that the resort is very clean, the staff are very nice, and it is luxurious. If you do not care about money stay there, otherwise I think there are better deals, but that is just me. :)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Robina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I recently got married at the beautiful Ayana resort and Spa in Jimbaran Bay Bali. We can highly recommend the wedding packages on offer and our Wedding co-ordinator (ASHA) was exceptional. The resort catered for many of our family and friends needs with large rooms and exceptional bathroom facilities and amenities. We had an ocean view private villa and our own pool. This was luxury and faultless. The room was spacious, clean and has all the facilities you would ever need. If you ever have the opportunity to experience this don't hesitate. The Ayana has several restaurants to cater for all your dining needs. We had our reception in the Dava Restaurant. Service was above and beyond and food truly delicious.. this restaurant is open for all guests worth a visit. The Ayana Spa is world class and you are truly treated to a relaxing and professional experience with many massage and beauty packages available.The grounds of the Ayana are manicured beautifully and have many pools around the property all offering a little place of tropical paradise.The Rock Bar is a wonderful place and at sunset its spectacular. I truly advise anyone to experience the pleasure and quality of the Ayana resort its heaven on Earth.. Try it you wont be disappointed.

Room Tip: If planning a Wedding look no further everything is thought of and delivered at such a high level.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We decided to take a little Segway from our seminyak villa because we wanted to visit the famous rock bar. Checked in for one night to ensure entry to the rock bar at sunset. Rock bar was superb, if not a little hot. Staff bring you cool towels to help compensate. Luckily ( or unluckily because the sunset wasn't awesome) it was overcast because the full sun was unbearable. Cocktail were perfection but expensive. Rock pool the next morning was amazing...but only a few cabanas available. Hotel- Meh. Service at hotel- Meh

Room Tip: Request room in the hammerhead area if you want an ocean view. Swim rock pool- a must.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to AYANA Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!