“Engagement Dream - Pesta Lobster!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of AYANA Resort and Spa

You added AYANA Resort and Spa to your Saves list
AYANA Resort and Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan Karang Mas Sejahtera, Jimbaran, Bali 80364, Indonesia   |
Special Offer
FREE $50 Credits
Ranked #8 of 38 Hotels in Jimbaran
Melbourne, Australia
“Engagement Dream - Pesta Lobster!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

My fiance surpised me with a taxi drive to the AMAZING Ayana Resort where we were taken down to a private jetty where there was a candlelight table set for two and he popped the question! It was such a magical experience! This was followed by an sensational Lobster feast whilst our very own butler waited on us and band played balinese music. I could not have asked for a more magical experience and highly recommened this to anyone looking for ideas to pop the question. I would also love to return to Ayana for a holiday and stay at the resort.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toowoomba QLD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

My wife and i stayed at the resort from 3rd november 2011 for 6 days. It is approx 30-40 min taxi ride from the airport & same to Kuta.
It is a very large resort located on a cliff top fronting the ocean with lots of space and facilities, numerous pools, restaurants and bars, shops etc + kid friendly. You never feel like there a lot of people around due to the space and layout.
Our room was in the "Club" section, good size room + balcony, air con worked as it should, very comfortable large bed.
there are numerous restaurants to choose from, with indoor/outdoor options + varied cuisines to choose from, some portion servings are a bit small. Wine list limited and expensive, beer not so.
Service throughout the resort was excellent and very friendly, could not fault it.....
Confrence facilities again were excellent.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

The Ayana (fka: Ritz Carlton) is located at the end of a long long drive from the populated parts of the Jimbaran area. There is very little immediately outside of the resort's gate. After clearing security and entering the property, there is an additional very long drive to get to the lobby. This makes it virtually impossible to stroll outside of the resort, and there is no shuttle service from the reort proper to the entry gate. Reportedly there is a free shuttle to Kuta, but that has apparently been cancelled. There still is a 4x/day shuttle to Nusa Dua's Bali Collection shopping center.

There are lots of villas within the resort, enabling guests to have a villa experience within a large resort hotel complex... "best of both worlds". The hotel rooms are in the process of being renovated. Some look like typical Ritz Carlton rooms like in the US or most countries around the world. The post renovation rooms have more of a local design element. Rooms are fair sized for a resort destination, but not large. LCD TVs but no DVD players in the hotel rooms. DVD players are available for $10/day rental. There is no free internet anywhere within the resort, but available for around US$23/day. There is no pillow menu, and the pilows provided were not feather or down, but polyester fill, and too plump for my comfort.

The staff is very friendly and helpful, probably well trained by Ritz Carlton, but it gets very annoying that they constantly ask for your name and room number at all of the pools. Gym was under renovation, so they moved the equipment outdoors, but making it very uncomfortable to exercise in hot and humid weather. Service level also seemed to fade after the first day which was very excellent, to check out when service was ok. There are several pools, but most did have a little bit of a dated feel to them, including a large upper main infinity pool, a lower pool, and a children's pool with 2 water slides. However, the layout of the kid's pool did not make it easy to keep an eye on the kids. There is also a "river" pool, but it had no resemblance to a river. Finally, there is an ocean pool with salt water, for adults only... this was the best pool, although not very large.

The restaurants were excellent overall, but the breakfast buffet was a little disappointing because the quality was not so great. There was planety of variety at the breakfast buffet, but it seemed as if they (re) used some of the dinner leftovers in the next morning breakfast. For instance, there is a once a week dinner buffet and Balinese performance, this included babi guling (roast suckling pig). At the next morning, there was babi guling at the breakfast and it looked like a mess, like what one's leftover turkey looks like the day after Thanksgiving.

Overall, the resort was great because it was so large and expansive and offered so many nice different experiences within the one compound, including a beach (Kubu Beach) accessed by a short shuttle ride, making it unnecessary to leave the resort complex... unless one wants to make the trek to Kuta for more of a party, and touristy experience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
AYANARESORT, General Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Dear ‘Maptraveler’
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay at AYANA. I’m glad you enjoyed your experience and I’ve made a note of the points you raised so that we can continually improve our service and facilities. I would like to clarify a few things. There is free internet for Villa guests, and also in the Club Lounge for use by Club-level guests. We are very proud of our staff and service philosophy, which was created by Horst Schulze, the founder of West Paces Hotel Group. I will energize your points to ensure service levels remain high throughout each guest’s stay. In regards to the breakfast buffet, we never use leftover foods. We offer suckling pig every morning at the buffet as it is a local specialty which many guests enjoy. I apologize if the presentation on that morning was not up to our normally high standard and I’ve asked the team at Padi restaurant to ensure this does not recur.

Thank you again for your comments, I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011 via mobile

This was my only first time that my GF and i stayed in Villa 3005 of Ayana Resort from 28 Sept 2011 to 30 Sept 2011, Immediately we become Ayana Junkie as we really had a memorable and wonderful anniverisary! I went to quite a number of resorts in Bali, but i personally think that Ayana is one resort that has the wonderful villa, superb sea view, nicest bech, incredible F&B outlets and very-well-trained staffs. I must thank the GM and his team to have a such a high quality team which gave triple A experience. I am really happy becoz my GF was happy. And my GF was really happy becoz the Ayana was realky excellent!! She loves it so much. If given a chance, we definitely want to come back to stay at Ayana. l must say that It’s a good and right choice for honey-mooners. Guys, you really have to book this hotel if you dont want to risk disappointing your partners. Ladies, trust this hotel if you want a true Bali experience. I am really picky but i really cant find any fault at all. The staffs are well-trained and excellent. They do provide good quality of service and its really above of what I had expected from this 5.0 stars resort. They (Receptionists, Waitress/Waiters, Chef, F&B manager, etc) were actually attentive and responsive to my request/problem or my call. The main restaurant serve excellent BREAKFASt to start a good day!The Rock Bar restaurant is a class of all and you must really really got to go visit it! If not, you have not come to Bali at all! Check out the YouTube for more information if you don't believe me. Ha. I am not worried because I am right. Actually, there was only one big issue about Ayana: Ayana made us enjoyed so much that time really shortened!! Love you, Ayana!! I am proud to stay that we had stayed in Ayana before! Thanks for giving us a wonderful HOLIDAY! May we meet again!!

• Stayed September 2011
AYANARESORT, General Manager at AYANA Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
Dear ‘zhida81’,

Thank you for sharing your kind words about AYANA. I am glad that you and your girlfriend enjoyed a wonderful experience with us especially breakfast at Padi and Rock Bar. On behalf of the AYANA team, I am proud to hear such rewarding feedback and will share this with the staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort.

Warm regards,
Darwin, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

Our 1brm pool villa was very nice. The butler service was also handy but the charges were quite hefty for the convenience. The resort is huge, set on 77 acres with 376 rooms/villas. We found it too big as we prefer more boutique accommodations. The location is in the middle of no where. You can't walk to any shops or restaurants that aren't in the resort so you are a captive audience. The Rock Bar and rock pool were both fantastic, especially the pool. The staff were very friendly but I must say the buggy service to get around the resort was sometimes not punctual at all and you were often quicker walking. The spa was I think the best spa I have ever been to. The restaurants were okay, service only average. Quite slow with drinks. For the price you pay to stay here, I certainly don't think the service is up to scratch.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear ‘Kjd773’
Thank you for your review, I’m glad you enjoyed your villa, the Rock Bar and Spa. I am concerned by your comments about the high prices and service. We have done thorough analysis of other 5-star luxury properties in Bali and found our prices to be very competitive. In addition, we strive to provide a level of service unmatched anywhere else, to provide unique and memorable experiences for guests. I will share your feedback with our team so we can address these issues and improve for the future.

Fremantle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

We have been to Bali many times and normally stay in Seminyak but were attending a wedding at Ayana and decided to stay there for a few days before heading to Seminyak for a week.
We booked a family room but were upgraded to a 2 bed villa with a pool when we checked in so very happy, although speaking to other guests at the wedding quite a few got upgraded.
Beautiful gardens surrounded by frangipani trees, very tropical. Villa was spacious but not that practical for kids as the beds were very high off the floor and a very steep staircase down to the second bedroom area and garden/pool.
Hotel is older classic style, similar to Oberoi in Seminyak, very peaceful, very clean, staff all freindly, everyone knew your name.
Restaurants etc at resort very expensive, definatley 5* resort prices for anything from beer to lobster.
Kids club Ok, kids pool with slides was great the kids loved it, other pools large.
Rock Bar is a great place for sunset drinks and if staying at Ayana you get VIP entry so dont have to wait in the queue which is massive, you have to get a chairlift thingy down which only holds 8 people therefore there is a long long wait......
Overall we had a great time although it is isolated, everything is a 20 - 30 min taxi ride away but if you are happy to stay at a hotel and not venture too far this is a perfect get away from it all

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011 via mobile

Positives: A beautiful resort! We stayed there for 5 nights beginning of Nov 2011 and had an overall good time. The staff was very service oriented and friendly, the breakfast was amazing - most probably the best we have ever seen! The main pool is big and there are always enough sun beds. The 'adults only' pool is built into the rocks with an amazing view!
Negatives: there are old and new rooms. The old ones are a bit dirty, show spots on walls and on curtains. It looks a bit old fashioned and not cozy Balinese style what we expected. The new rooms are in renovation process. Unfortunately, both rooms are noisy. The renovated ones a bit less. As the floors of the rooms are made of marble you will hear people walking, things falling down on the floor, slamming doors etc. We were awake almost every morning by 6:30h eventhough we were already using ear pluggs! HOWEVER: the hotel staff reacted promptly and professionally - they moved us from the old to the renovated rooms immediately. Another negative was the noise outside: from early afternoon on you will hear music from everywhere: the rock bar starts playing house-like music which you will hear also at the 'adults only' pool. If you are unlucky there will be preparations for weddings so you will hear all the sound checks during lunch time and early afternoon. Besides this, one of the pools will be blocked from noon on. There was a wedding on 3 out of four days of our stay.
The price level is way too high for everything and above the level of other hotels in the area. The intercontinental eg charges appr 40% less for the same massage. Same goes for food, drinks and even internet etc.
Despite the negatives we had a very good stay at Ayana and would like to thank the staff for being so helpful and understanding!

• Stayed November 2011
Dear ‘Travelhk0’
Thank you for your comments, I’m delighted that you enjoyed the resort, service and breakfast experience. I understand your concerns about the older rooms and am pleased to inform you that these are all scheduled to have completed renovation by December this year. The renovations include sound-proof ceilings to rectify the noise you experienced. I apologize for the discomfort and am glad that you were satisfied by the staff’s response. In regards to the spa, our prices are competitive against other luxury spas, and reflect the quality of our products and therapists (all certified by Thermes Marins in France) and the setting of our 22,000sqm thalasso center. In addition, many of our treatments are not available elsewhere, as they have been developed exclusively for AYANA. I am glad you enjoyed your stay overall and hope you can return in the future to experience one of our newly-renovated rooms and reconnect with the staff you were so fond of.

Charles de Foucault

Been to AYANA Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!