“Great intro to Bali” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Jimbaran
Ventura, California
“Great intro to Bali”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed at InterContinental on arrival in Bali for 4 nights. I was not anticipating a great experience as I thought it may be just another "big" impersonal hotel. We were so pleasantly surprised! We were in a "club" room with beautiful view of ocean. Furnishings were a bit dated but room very clean with no musty odors. Best parts of stay were GREAT afternoon tea, cocktails and buffet breakfast. We enjoyed the gym, spa was terrific (had 3 spa services) and pools were wonderful - would stay again. Even though close to airport the noise was never an issue. Wonderful staff.

Room Tip: Definetly choose a "club" level room on upper floor with views in remodeled wing.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Our family of 4 (kids 7 & 9) stayed here for 5 nights while in Bali and we loved it. We had already spent a couple of nights in the Ubud area and this was our total relaxation spot afterwards. The resort is absolutely gorgeous - the pools are beautiful, the grounds are stunning and the location on the beach is ideal (sand is great and you can walk down the beach to casual dinner places nearby). The rooms are just what you'd expect from the InterContinental and the breakfast buffet is excellent. If you can spring for the Club level rooms, do so. Not only do you have the usual Club benefits, but there is a private Club pool that is really relaxing. The turtle release program you can take part in is also nice. Lastly, our girls loved the kids club.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Calabasas, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My family and I spent six days in total at the Intercontinental (IC) in Bali. Previously, I've stayed at the IC in Zurich and in Fiji, both of which were great experiences and I was actually looking forward to this stay. I was left extremely disappointed, but let's do the positive stuff first!:) The hotel is lovely and large and the grounds are beautiful - just what I'd expected. The breakfast buffet was also good with a large selection. We paid a bit extra and stayed in the Club Duplex suite, which was nice. Now on to the negatives, which will take up a good chunk of this review, unfortunately. Our arrival at the airport was terrible. We were travelling with another family and had specifically requested that enough vehicles were sent to transport all of us to the hotel. In fact, my husband had repeatedly reminded the staff that two cars were needed (airport transfers were included and we had a total of 11 people). Despite all of the reminding and the assurance of the staff that there would be enough vehicles, we arrived late in the evening to find that only one car was there to pick us up. After much drama and several phone calls to the hotel, we had to hire a taxi and the hotel agreed to cover the cost. The service at the hotel was extremely slow and lacked consistency all around. There was little action taken to fix any issues, which we found puzzling. There were issues with even basic things, such as bringing straws for ALL the water glasses on the table, getting napkins, plates, drinks, etc., etc. We brought this up to the Club manager, Devi, who said she'd work on it. As people who've travelled so extensively, this was a completely new experience to all of us and not what we'd expect having paid the extra money. The afternoon tea and other perks of the Club were very average at best. It just seemed as if very little training had gone into the service staff. They were pleasant, though! Budi, one of the workers in the Club Lounge, had to be the best guy there.
The rooms were fine, but I'd completely re-do the lighting. There were so many switches and it was completely unnecessary. Also, the room service cleaning was a bit hit or miss and actually missed cleaning one of our Club Duplex suites! Some of the elevators needed a good going over for mildew and the Planet Trekkers room (the kids' club) was so warm that we were actually afraid to leave our children there. We asked them to turn the AC up a bit and were told that it was already on. Then, we asked them to bring fans into the room and were assured that it would be taken care of. When we returned to get the kids a few hours later, there were no fans. Nice.
The best service we had during our entire stay was a meal at Bella Cucina. The staff was very good and the food was impressive. Sadly, neither of our families will return to this Intercontinental:(

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Bali Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Jennifer Y,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to improve and continually provide the best experience possible.

I am sorry to hear about your experience at our property. I hope you will believe me when I say that your experience is not the norm in our hotel. Please accept our deepest apologies for the poor experience you had in our shuttle service and for any service issues you have encountered. Your concern is definitely not up to our standards and we assure you that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.

I regret that you found these aspects of your stay displeasing, your feedback will be discussed with the management team and will be taken into consideration for future improvements. We all hope that should your travel plans bring you back to the area, you will give our hotel another try and allow us to redeem your faith in our award winning service.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at IH from 15 – 19 Dec 2012 and it is our first holiday in Bali.

We originally booked for two Resorts Classic rooms but reservations staff suggested that upgrade it to a Duplex Suite which sleeps 2 adults and 2 children as they were unable to commit to our request for connecting rooms. We took the hotel transfer (at USD12) and we reached the hotel within 15 minutes on the road.

Everything on the hotel is huge, from driveway, lobby to the compound. May be this is the criteria of most Bali hotels. Check in was smooth and we served by a trainee. She was patient and spent some time explaining to us the facilities and hotel map to us. We were grateful that they Duplex Suite was ready even though we were there at noon time.

I have a mix reviews on the Duplex Suite and hope this helps those who are contemplating on booking one, especially families.

Room
Pros:
- more spacious for family – for the kids, suitcases, shoes, sand toys and purchases (I like my stuff organised even when on holiday)
- there were two TV in the suite, means no fighting over TV channels or me being forced to watch Cartoon Network !

Cons
- the bellman left the suitcases at the ground floor and we completely forgotten the “room” is on upstairs till he left. In the end, my hubby had to lug the suitcase up himself and we decided to leave one of it on the ground floor.
- ground floor toilet is just a vanity toilet and not very helpful if the kids are still sandy back from the beach and in need of a quick rinse. We ended up with sands on the floor
- one morning my hubby decided to read newspaper in the balcony and left the door opened and that means inviting the mosquitoes into the room too – yikes. And once the balcony door is open the air con will be automatically switch off (there is a fan upstairs but it wasn't in working condition)
- no regular maintenance – e.g. fan wasn't working, torch light ran out of battery
- till the day I checked out I haven’t got a clue how the switches works. It seems like the master switch is on the ground floor by the main door. One night I merely press a switch on the side bed table and that switches off the downstairs TV! There wasn't any option for us to leave the bathroom light on as night light for the kids
- the hotel set up the sofa extra bed at FOC on the ground floor and it means you will have a bed smack right in the middle of the living room in front of TV throughout your stay.

Conclusion: I would not recommend Duplex Suite for family with young children as they will refuse to sleep alone downstairs. It ended up with my hubby sleeping on the sofa bed and the kids bunk in on the queen bed with me. The stairs are quite steep for young children to climb up themselves. This room is more suitable for family with older kids.

Suggestion: It would be nice to have kids size bath robe / bedroom slippers in the rooms if the hotel is actively selling this Duplex Suite to families.

Spa
I visited it on my last day as a treat for myself. A 50 minutes for shoulder and back massage set you back by Rp.400,000 + tax. Expensive but I didn't have time to recce outside spas.

Restaurant
The only meal to we took in the hotel was the daily breakfast which we took at Bella Cucina overlooking the beach. Nice and quiet. Buffet spread was good.

Overall
A nice quiet hotel with a well maintained garden and ample compound for the kids to run around. My elder boy rented a kids bike to cycle around the hotel. There is a small playground and mini football area for kids.

Hotel is located in a fishing village and nothing much within walking distance. Nearby outside eateries (Balinique, Jimbaran Corner) but not very advisable to walk out at night with kids. Traffic can be bad and there are potholes along walkway (some are without covers!). Taxi ride to Kuta is cheap at Rp. 60,000 if you decides to venture out.

We were out on day trips most of the days expect on the last day which we really spent half a day on the daybed overlooking the beach. It was very relaxing with sea breeze blowing on your face and looking at flights taking off from Ngurah Rai Airport - thinking to myself in a few hours time I will be on one flying home ….. BUT I BE BACK!

p/s: Oh… and 2 days before our arrival, the hotel Concierge sent us a welcome email attaching the hotel’s weekly activities. I think that was a nice welcoming gesture even before we reach the hotel.

Room Tip: Duplex Suites are more suitable for family with bigger kids or teenagers
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Wisconsin, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Having traveled throughout the world and stayed and many wonderful resorts, the Intercontinental Bali stands out in our minds for its excellence. There is a very large number of staff at the hotel and all of your needs are attended to very well. All of the staff were extremely friendly, warm and went out of their way to make our vacation enjoyable. The grounds are manicured to perfection. There is never one branch or blade of grass out of place. Additionally, the pool is always the perfect temperature for swimming and the view is phenomenal. The breakfast buffet is the most outstanding breakfast buffet we've ever had at a resort. The setting for breakfast was beautiful, make sure to grab a table outside while they play the traditional Balinese music. All of the food was high quality, and there was good variety. For activities we hired a driver through the resort and it was very reasonable. We spent two very memorable days traveling through the countryside of Bali with our driver, Gusti. He was a very kind hearted, warm and funny person who added much enjoyment to our trip. From beginning to end we cherish the week we spent at Intercontinental Bali.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Stephane D, Manager at InterContinental Bali Resort, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear "AJKTRK",

It was a pleasure to host you and your family at InterContinental Bali Resort and I'm pleased to hear that you had a memorable stay especially for the views, the room, overall service, the food and the staffs. We are extremely proud of our family of 1000-plus staff and it is particularly rewarding to hear you talk so highly of them. They really think of visitors as honored guests to their island home, and consider it a great privilege to be at your service.

We all look forward to seeing you again next time.

Warm regards

Stephane Duchenne
Resort Manager
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Room - This is a very old property. There are switches on a brass panel located at the bed side table to control the lights, this is how old this place is. Cranky shower heads and early nineties type of bathroom, marble plus white rectangular bath tub. Wood flooring is badly scratched, and cushions in the balcony area were dirty. Bed is alright, rest of the furniture well maintained.

Surroundings: typical old style bali architecture, sprawling, well manicured lawns and gardens. Great water features, with ponds and water ways, but there is some strange looking fountain in one of them, maybe it's some water aerator. Dirty beach due to dilapitated restaurants operated by locals next to the hotel, though the stretch in front of the hotel is clean. Very peaceful if you walk away from the screamy kids.

Pools: Several pools located in the centre of the property, it seems to me the hotel is targeting families, as the pools were infested with loud screamy kids, not recommened for couples or a quiet retreat. I notice there was messages placed at the club pool to advice people to take their kids to the main pool so as not to disturb others. Pls enforce it.

Restaurants/food: breakfast typical line up for buffet, quality is average, coffee is very good. Hygiene seems to be an issue here as there are swarm of flies zooming around all the time. Ko restaurant is okay, just don't order their seafood, the steaks are of good quality, and done well by the balinese teppanyakki chef. Sake prices are ridiculous. Italian Restaurant is very good. Pool side cafe is horrible, we ordered a fish that stank, it was some sort of fish curry, and they gave us an unfresh fish which was promptly returned back to the kitchen, had a chicken curry too which was their recommendation, this is terrible too, it has overly cooked sliced chicken breast in it. Very unauthentic to use sliced chicken breast in curry.

Service: Prompt and polite, PC status is acknowledged and greeted by a manager. There's definitely no complaints in this section.

Spa: Some of the Spa facilities are open to hotel guests, and they allow kids in! Hence, a racket in the jacuzzi. Please at least restrict entry to at least age 16 and above, and do enforce it if you do. Otherwise massage was very good, done by experienced masseuer, would recommend their deep tissue massage.

Room Tip: Tip - there are better hotels for the money you pay here...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Bali Resort, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear LDY99,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good points of your stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused you and for falling short of your expectations. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Intercontinental from 15th December, 2012 for 6 days in a Club room.. Breakfasts were brilliant in the buffet or Club dining room which offered excellent attentive service while not being over bearing. The pool dining area is good for lighter meals but on many occasions we travelled outside the hotel to some of top local restaurants as per Trip Advisor reviews. The grounds are truly stunning with the opportunity to either interact with other guests or have quiet time. The rooms are still great but we did have a problem with controlling the shower temperature which they attempted to fix immediately but still remained unsatisfactory. Clearly from other comments this is a common problem and must be remedied. Overall a great hotel with excellent service and we will definitely revisit.
We have subsequently moved to The Legian in Seminyak which is a good but completely different style hotel.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Stephane D, Manager at InterContinental Bali Resort, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear ‘Jo C’

Thank you for your comprehensive feedback. I am glad to note that you enjoyed your stay at InterContinental Bali Resort, especially for the views, Club Room, Club Lounge, overall service, and the grounds. I am grateful for your feedback on where we can enhance our services and you can be sure that I will address each point with my team. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Warm regards

Stephane Duchenne
Resort Manager

Been to InterContinental Bali Resort? Share your experiences!