“Luwak trail” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 151 Outdoor Activities in Denpasar
“Luwak trail”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

As described by previous reviewer it was the best day of our Bali trip. Mario & Jony were great & so much fun. The meal served to us after was fantastic...too much for just my daughter & myself. Will definitely be back to do it again!!! Thanks guys for a great day :)

Perth, Australia
“Family of 4 (2 teenagers) Awsome Bali adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Well! While I would not consider us world travellers, I think my family and I have visited Bali enough to have pretty well seen and done most all it has to offer.
How wrong I could be!
On our latest sojourn, of which we have booked into a private 3 bedroom villa, we were introduced to MUNDUK WILDERNESS Adventurers, we opted for the "Dragons breath expedition" and a totally honest Bali did we see.
Our guide picked us up from our lodging around 7:45am, in a nice new mini bus and trekked us across the opposite side of the island, giving us opportunity to see most of the touristy places along the way, Monkeys, Temple on the lake, epic views, etc. When we reached Munduk and turned left for the last 4km leg, the bus ride got very interesting, driving along ridge lines with plunging edges less than 2 meters away on either side and a road surface that had all but disappeared due to torrential rain a few days before that I would not have tried driving on without a 4wd, bought us to our initial and as we later found out our final destination.
Greeted on the side of the road by about seven staff all wanting to shake our hand, introduce themselves and give us refresher towels, we were ushered into the establishment for a chilled beverage. Upon entering we were shocked by the stunning view across and into the valley eventually disappearing into the haze and mist, so now we had an idea of the gods sitting above, going about there business watching the world slip by.
After due refreshment and a minor hiccup with payment via Eftpos we were taken to our Komodo, that had been pre packed with our bikes and lunch, for an introduction to its most basic operation (just the same as a go cart) and then it was on!
Following back the way we were driven in, we were amazed at how the bus driver could have driven on this road! After about 10 minutes we were re checked for capability and lead to the bike point. A quick unload of bikes by the staff and we were off. Unfortunately Tyler found the two wheels a bit to daunting as he is used to his trike, so only lasted about 5 min, then a quick exchange to get him back into the Komodo and off again. Sadly not ten minutes later the guide, trying to show off with a front wheel stand went straight over his handle bars and thud onto the road (very badly) several staff and ourselves were there in seconds and he was adamant he was ok, but seeing the angle of his wrist I knew it was a break! Exit one guide, bring on the mechanic (our newest instant guide.)
When they say the ride is down hill, they REALLY mean down hill, I rode at least 90% of the way with the front break on almost full and the rear brake being used to try and slow down. Alas after about 30 minutes it proved to much for Penny and she also went head over heels but luckily with a much softer and slower landing than the guide. She chose to continue in the Komodo, leaving Tamika, myself and the Mechanic / Guide to finish the bike section which I must admit it was pretty heavy going; I found it impossible to remove a hand at any time or catastrophe would have followed. But It was totally incredible and a must do experience. The path was fairly adventurous, through native jungle, plantations and stunning scenery. All the farmers and especially ther children would run to the fence line and call "hellloo" waving their hands profusely, we would yell, hello back, occasionally we would call salamat pagi and they would be amazed that westerners would call in Bahasa. After maybe 2 hours of downhill flying, it was back into the Komodo (thank goodness) and a short run up to a stunning spot for lunch.
A few rounds of fresh ham, cheese and salad, with views to die for and it was off again. The Terrain while adventurous was not daunting and even consisted of some town road driving in Munduk and Banjar, I am still unsure as to how they get past the licence as none were asked for or produced and all had an opportunity to drive! During our drive through Banjar there was a cremation ceremony taking place so the guide asked if we would pay our respects, we have seen and attended this ceremony before which I felt was more touristy than ceremony, but this one was a real experience! The guide was explaining everything to us when a gentleman came and expanded on a few issues, as it turned out, it was his Aunt that the ceremony was for, we discussed in depth the ceremony and differences in customs, we met his wife and had tea and cakes with them while the discussion went on.
After this rest we cruised for awhile longer to the bottom of the mountain and entered Banjar Holy hot springs which is a destination I have been trying to get to for a number of years but had always been told it was not worth the trip there, however this proved to be a perfect way to thoroughly enjoy the hot springs. After all the adventures of the day it was a very welcoming indeed to amble through the street sellers, down into a valley paradise, across the bridge over a running brook and there in front of you is the springs, 3 separate bathing areas ranging in heat and strength of pressure. A float in the springs and quick wash and then our waiting staff were ushering us back to the Komodos to reach base camp in time for dinner.
Another trip with a bit rougher tracks bought us around the mountain to the back of the original starting point at Munduk Wilderness where again all the staff were waiting to serve us hand and foot. A scrumptious 3 course meal was consumed while surveying the land for miles around, during the meal our guide came and asked if after dinner we would go and plant a tree with a small plaque and give them our email address so they could send updates of how the tree was going from time to time (very good marketing ploy?)
All through this I was waiting for extra bills but none came? I figured it must just be added on at the end of the day, but no EVERYTHING was included in the original, very reasonable cost.
While drowsing in and out of sleep on the long drive home I felt content in the days activities knowing that this days adventure was one of those memories that are filed for future use if ever the chips are down! A truly great deal that showed us places and memories irreplaceable that I still consider was way under priced, but probably the best value we have found in Bali. Highly, highly recommended and in fact we are planning the next adventure with them, but I will have to wait for the pictures to download, as apparently if we send some to them, of our last trip, they give you a good discount as well.

Visited February 2014
Canberra, Australia
“5 star tour,must not be missed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

This is definitely the highlight of my Bali trip! We went there for a rain forest horse riding session, and a canoeing session at lake tamblingan, and both were fabulous ! The horse riding session was amazing, the weather was just nice, the rainforest air was cool and refreshing, which made our ride even more enjoyable. We had three tour guides, Silik, Sika and Joni, and all of them were super friendly, helpful and attentive during the ride, their services were five-star! The team provided raincoats for us in the middle of the ride when it started to drizzle, and offered my friend a plaster when he accidentally got a scratch on his leg during the ride. At the end of my ride, they even extended my horse-riding session for 15 min, knowing that I had enjoyed the session very much.

The older tour guide was really familiar with the tracks and so we never felt like we're gonna get lost in the dense forest. The horses are really tame and safe to ride, even for beginners! This was my first time riding a horse and my guide did a really great job in teaching me to steer my horse, which made my first horse riding experience unforgettable and fun.We stopped by a house owned by a local to have a cup of coffee, and the host was really welcoming.

The tour at the lake was more relaxing, but the sight was spectacular and the waters were really clean. It was not touristy or crowded at all, only some local villagers fishing and building wood houses. By the time we reached the base camp for our lunch, we were welcomed by the jovial restaurant staffs and with hot teas. We had a delicious five course meal, with bakso ayam as appetizer, deep fried fish fingers with sweet and sour sauce, deep fried chicken thigh with soy sauce, a mixed vegetable dish and white rice for main course, and a dessert platter with black sticky rice pudding and a banana tapioca kue served with black sugar syrup.

And not to forget our driver abang Ronald, who was a humble polite young man, with great driving skills. The roads on the mountains were rocky and steep, but abang Ronald was really careful and alert, no speeding or talking on the phone or anything like that during the whole trip. He even kept the radio volume down to minimum when we were sleeping.

This is a must-visit place for people who enjoy sightseeing, serenity and some adventures. The tour guides and the staffs are the most valuable assets of the company! For the price that we paid, counting in the great services that we got, the free transportation to and from munduk, the 5 course lunch, and the sheer awesomeness of the tour, this tour was certainly more than value for money. All in all, it was a great trip and must not be missed!

Visited January 2014
“Fantastic day trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We did the luwak trail tour as described by another reviewer so I won't go into the details of it, but it was an excellent day out with young children. This might be one of the only places where you can take a 5 and 7 year old on ATVS and we all got dusty and dirty and it was a lot of fun! The base camp is 5 star and we were served a beautiful 3 course meal in front of an open fire. We live in indonesia and so go to Bali often and this is definitely one of the best things to do!

Visited October 2013
Newcastle
14 attraction reviews
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

All I can say is "WOW" we had such a great time .
Treated like royalty, Great staff ,Fantastic tour,..We started on the Odessey x Dune buggy, driving through the mountains down to a beautiful Lake area and small village, We were then taken out in hand carved canoes and cruised around the lake where we got to see a lovely little water temple. Back in our buggy we drove buck up into the mountains where a guide took us for a short rain forest walk ,the guide was very informative and spoke very good English, when we got to the end of the track our vehicle was there waiting. From there we were off to a small family run Coffee plantation ,offered their coffee and a sweet banana bread all home made, when the tour returned to the base .showers were offered clean towels and all hygiene needs. the meal that they brought out well I can only describe as a banquet, and one of the best Traditional meals we had while on holidays..if you want a great tour that's different then give these guys a call ..the whole experience was just wonderful..

Visited August 2013