A ‘destination spa’ in the hills above the Ganges town of Rishikesh, about 45 minutes drive from Dehradun regional airport, recommended by travel agent. It’s a converted part of an old maharajah palace that was apparently a popular ‘old colonial’ retreat. Good check in and comfortable room with nice valley views from balcony (ask for a higher floor if possible, as the view of the Ganges valley below gets better), and adequate bathroom with a power shower and bathtub. They provide traditional Indian cotton long loose shirts (kurta) and tie-up trousers (pyjamas), which can be worn in all areas and activities. Choices of pillows, bed linens, and sleep quality good. Wireless internet charged at high rates, which doesn’t really seem right when you consider the room rates at Ananda. Pavilion restaurant good with wide selection on breakfast and dinner buffets in addition to an a la carte menu, some items not always available. The spa is excellent and set in an expansive area, and has a variety of treatments with very well trained staff - no doubt one of the prime attractions of Ananda. Large choice of spa options available. There are numerous other interesting, stimulating and wellness activities as well, including meditation, yoga, spiritual talks, stretching regimes, hikes of varying difficulty, swimming, gym and golf. All staff generally excellent and very helpful, friendly and courteous. We brought up some service problem issues with the manager after a couple of patiently tolerant days (a cumulative series of what in isolation might have been accepted as ‘minor’ problems, but became quite annoying once they kept continuing in different areas of the resort), and they were addressed immediately and effectively, but the point is that these should not have arisen in the first place in a place that prides itself as a premier spa and wellness resort that charges pretty high rates, and appeared quite busy with a good number of guests. So…some work on the service ‘details’ and complimentary wireless internet is needed here urgently, otherwise a unique and excellent Himalayan experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ananda-In the Himalayas is a luxury destination spa located in the foothills of the Himalayas, the birthplace of India’s ancient arts of yoga, meditation and Ayurveda. Dedicated to restoring balance and harmonizing energy through a holistic approach, Ananda incorporates the healing principles of the East and the West with a specific focus on Ayurveda and Yoga, along with contemporary International spa experiences. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, HotelTravel.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Priceline and Expedia so you can book your Ananda in the Himalayas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ananda In The Himalayas Hotel Rishikesh
- Ananda In The Himalayas Rishikesh