“Mussoorie, The Queen Of Hill Stations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mussoorie

Thane
“Mussoorie, The Queen Of Hill Stations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2009

My Visit To Mussoorie- A Photo Blog

Mussoorie, Popularly known as the Queen of Hills, this charming hill station, 34 kms from Dehradun is situated at an altitude of 2003 mts( + 6500 FT) in the Garhwal hills, above sea-level. Mussoorie is one of the best (To Me, It Is Super) beautiful hill stations in India and the most frequently visited.

We were travelling from Rishikesh ( Hope to write About That Place some time) in the month of September 2008.
We went to Deharadun and from there, we took a taxi to Mussooorie.

It was raining heavyly ,News Papers were splashed with flood photographs of Delhi and a part of Uttranchal…The rain never paid any attention of my presence and tried his best to drench me…
When we reached Mussoorie, We had to run for shelter to keep us dry…
The Taxi stand is just below the famous Mall road..
It is 2 km long. One end is called Library the other end is Gun Hill Uran Khatola Point…

We booked a hotel near the other end as Library point is too much noisy It is full of hotels (Residential + Eating joints) and lined with shops who are selling curios, sweaters, shawls etc…

Unlike Darjeeling or Simla, Mussoorie does not have a mall. But it has beautiful and clean Mall Road. It will give you a rare feeling of happiness when you walk down on this road. It has no elevation flat through out. The added bonus is the view of the Doon Valley from this road.

After check in, washing , lunch and a little bit of Siesta we set off for Gun Hill. The rope way station is at the end of the Mall road. It is 400 M journey to 2nd highest point of the town..

From Gun Pont you can have panoramic of the beautiful Mussoorie and the Himalayan Ranges.. As it was cloudy and foggy, we were deprived from viewing the snow peaked ranges…but what was offered in our platter just floored us…

I remembered Wordsworth lines
“I gazed -- and gazed -- but little thought
what wealth the show to me had brought”
I must admit that Wordsworth gave me company at so many places and so many times during my tour of Mussoorie..
( My Snaps will give you some idea, better you visit it
And enjoy).

When we came down it was past dusk and the mall road with colorful lights and white fog created as if I am watching a horror movie!

Next day in the morning we went to Municipal Garden..
It is 4 km from Library point.
We took a taxi…Here, it must be noted that at Mussoorie, you just cant hail a taxi here. You have to book a taxi at the taxi drivers associations and pay according to the chart. Taxis accommodate 5 persons and mostly consists of Ambassadors and Maruti Vans.

The municipal garden is worth to visit. You have to pay to enter. They have maintained beautifully. Long pines, a small canal with boating facility and green house with beautiful orchids.. Any nature lover will like this place.

After returning and having sumptuous lunch, We decided to walk on the camel back road. It starts from Library Bazaar and ends at Kurli Bazaar covering a distance of about 3.5 km… You can also hire horse. Two bends just like camelback gave this novel road to this walk way..
At one side hotels and residential places and the other side gives you wide angle view of the Himalayan ranges…
We were greeted by sharp shower while taking walk…
Two good points are there from where the view is lovely…I will request all, who wish to visit this hill station to have a walk on this road…

Next day ,we proceeded to Dhanolti, about 30 km away.
The only thing you will enjoy during this travel is greenery and beauty of hilly areas..
But we were forced to stop due to land slide. I did not see any effort from the Govt. to clear the road..
Local villagers were breaking the huge boulders.. But they were more interested in the stones than the clearing road. So I asked our taxi driver to negotiate with other side taxi driver. We passed through narrow path and started our on ward journey…

Dhonulti has a Nature park. It is pay and enjoy park. Must do it, if you love nature…
We also purchased Rhododendron syrup, which the shopkeeper claimed is available there only..

After, changing to our original vehicle ( the road was not still cleared), we proceeded toward Lal Tiba.
The highest point of Mussorie.. Here, Mussoorie municipal authority installed a powerful Japanese telescope( You have to pay for this facility, It is fixed on elevated platform) and get bigger and closer view of the same landscape what you see with your normal eyes..
I must advice if snow-peaks are to be viewed then use this facility.

From there I started for Kempty falls which every body of Mussoorie and all my friends suggested.
But I felt I was duped or slapped brutally.
It is cascading fall, even the heavy rainfall of the last night did not add any force to the waterfall.
What pained me more unplanned and out of Sync construction of viewer galley at the falling point. And Uttranchal Govt. allowed commercial shops and shades to proliferate within 15 feet of the fall!
What a callous attitude to wards beauty of the nature.

On the way to Kemty, we visited Manta Devi Temple. It is on a hill and about a km from the road. And During our return journey we went to Tibetan monastery. I have visited Rumtek at Sikkim. It can be skipped.
Now some useful information..
1. Nearest railhead – Dehradun
2. Nearest Airport - Jolly, Dehradun
3. From Dehradun – Bus Or Taxis.
4. For local sight seeing – Taxis, Horse and Cycle Rickshaw.
5. For budget traveler best time to visit Sep to Jan.
6. For Others, any time of the year.....
Now my snaps will tell you only a part of the story, but your visit to the Queen of Hill stations will unfold the whole beauty..

New Delhi
“Whats There in Mussoorie”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

Well, The big question is Whats there in mussoorie, I went there for silence, And i think i got that, I went there for a getaway from my life, And i got that. But was searching for sumthing historic, Some art form, Some gentle and welcoming people. Didnt get that. There's no art in mussoorie, Looks like all the art objects are available for a better price in Delhi. And the people there who are original inhabitants of that region look to Honeymooner's as if they are not wearing anything . But i didnt bother about that and roamed with my head free and up in the sky.. As high as mussoorie is. Climbed that Steep Climb in my FORD FUSION even on Tyres without much tread. Nice experience. But not something as exciting as Manali. I've been there twice but it feels new place everytime. And if u live on a different location the place totally surprises you again. But ya one thing i liked about mussoorie is the hotels near sister's bazaar on LAL TIBBA. Don't get scared by the name bazaar, its just two three shops selling grocery, utilities, frozen food, and sum handicrafts. But the location is nice.. with a view of snow capped mountains, and lot of silence and nature, and no cars around. But for that you have to sacrifice the MALL ROAD, but exactly there's nothing good there to sacrifice, So get in the LAP of the NATURE as many foreigner's do. And we INDIANS don't in our own motherland.

Dehra Dun
“Queen of Hills in Garhwal Himalaya's”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2008

Mussoorie's is standing tall at the height of 6000 feets on the Shivalik range of Garhwal Himalaya. Mussoorie is 35 Km away from the Clock Tower of Dehra Dun town. Dehra Dun is the Capital City of Uttarakhand state in India. Uttarakhand is also called as the Devbhoomi and Mussoorie is a gem of Uttarakhand.

Annually some 2.5 million tourist visits Mussoorie both from India and abroad, though percentage of foreign tourist is in the range of 5 to 10%. Coming back to the describing about the beauty of Mussoorie, let me be honest it is really magnificent and lovely hill station in India and looks like the galaxy in itself if we preen it from the Dehra Dun town during night hours.

Town of Dehra Dun is looking like the milky-way galaxy from the tortuous Mall Road running from Library Chowk to the other end of Mussoorie. Having a stroll on the Mall road during morning and evening hours has got its own charm. We enjoyed it thoroughly and so were the other people enjoying the cool temperature of Mussoorie and its natural beauty.

Mussoorie has got other tourist attraction within the confines of city limit like, Company Garden, Jhula Ghar, Gun Hill, Ghanta Ghar, Mussoorie Lake and Tibetain Market. There is Lal Bahadur Shashtri National Academy of Administration in Mussoorie, which is the training institute for the allied services of Government of India.

Manual Rickshaw is the other attraction which is plying between Jhula Ghar to Library chowk to Company Garden. Do not look out for big shops or Multiplexes in Mussoorie as it is a small town. So, what are you waiting for? Go and enjoy nature, peace and cool climes in Mussoorie.

jaipur
“my Favourite Hill station of all time...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2008

it waas a great trip. we stayed for 2 days n enjoyed a lot there...
its on a great height.i have not seen butiful scenes before...hills r covered with a lots of greeneryhotels r located on hill be attracts the most....lots of tourists come here...t o enjoy the greenery/.....

Delhi
“Good Hill station”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2008

Small, however beautiful hill station but should not be
called as queen of hills,The Mall in Mussoorie is too much crowded.

Sight & scenary is good, small hut shape resting places with wrought iron benches & old British time style old lamp posts is a treat

View from Gun point after taking ropeway is also fun.Good view at the mists beyond mountains. No lakes around

visit to Campty fall is must and complete journey to Mussoorie
Overall If not the best of hill station but deserves one visit if you
are found of hills.

Been to Mussoorie? Share your experiences!