“Definitely Avoid it” 1 of 5 stars

Mumbai
“Definitely Avoid it”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

Take my word for it ...

The most horrible hotel experience I had in recent times.
This hotel is nowhere even close to be called a 1 star hotel.
There are numerous let offs. Beginning with the staff. I guess the staff are just picked up randomly from the road.. no hotel management experience nothing ..
We reached Dehara Dun in the early morning 5 ish . I had earlier booked a cab with the hotel but to my horror the cab was not present at the station.
So I called up the hotel .. they Smsed me the drivers no .. I had to call him ask him where he was, to add to my dismay the driver was sleeping, he told me that he can pickup us only by 8a, I called the hotel to send me a new cab, they disappointment me further saying that he is the only driver they have. This got me all irritated. So i took the local taxi to mussoorie that all in 150 Rs .. the taxi stand is just a few steps away from the railway station.
The location of the hotel is on the second highest peak in mussoorie , something that they boost about but actually its really not something to be proud of.
The hotel is inaccessible from the main mall road . We had a ambassador, the local taxi guy couldn't lift his car to the "high peaks". He left us mid way on the steep winding road.
I called the hotel to send someone to pick us up from the mid way. I got a cold response from the hotel saying that all their skilled drivers will arive at the hotel at 9 am . I really had it by that time, because I had my elderly parents with me. I decided to walk to the hotel. Its really like climbing the EVEREST..
With all the luggage and my parents we reached the hotel in half an hour. A journey that could take 3 min by cab was stretched to half on hour. After reaching to the main lobby I requested to a room. After some paper work they provided me with a room. I was shocked to see the location of the room. It was on the topmost part of the hill. I called up the reception and asked them to provide me with a room close by to the main premises a promise that they would provide me one remained a promise till the end.
I would request all the travelers to avoid this hotel to the very end.
There are many who will agree to all the "hospitality" of this sick hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
delhi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

We stayed there through our RCI membership. The Hotel has an excellent location, right at the centre of Mall Road on Gun Hill, Mussoorie. The climb to the hotel is a bit steep but the hotel's cab can pick you up & drop for INR 75/-. If you are not a wimp , you can enjoy the daily climb free.
The restaurant was just okay, but the good thing is you can walk down to KALSANG which serves some of the best TIBETAN food. They also serve Chinese & Thai food. The restaurant is owned & run by a Tibetan family. The service is excellent, the interiors are warm & inviting and the waiters' hairstyles are funky. Don't miss.
"Chic Chocolates's" chocolates are rightfully deserving of their excellent reputation. However their Pizzas & Pastas were a letdown.
CASA MIA's quality has gone down. Their cream rolls/horns were sans any cream & tasted stale. They were always out of Garlic Bread, so it must be selling well.The pastries were a disappointment, having indifferent taste.
Regulars like SAGAR RATNA, BARISTA, C.C.D., DOMINOES, etc. are there.
River-rafting & camping etc. are nearby at Rishikesh, but this not being the season, we gave it a miss.
Horse riding is fun on Camel Back Road. But do check the horses. My daughter's horse slipped on a turn amid full gallop. She was lucky to escape with minor bruises.
As the hotel is centrally located, all these activities are easy to indulge in.

The only sore point was the management's attitude. On arrival, as per our terms of booking with RCI, we offered to pay "Utility Charges" which the resort said could be paid at the time of checking out. However, the next day we received a call from RCI saying we had refused to pay the charges.
Our stay was till the 17th having paid till then, but we decided to check out on the 16th. The resort guys wanted us out of the room, as they wanted to give out the room again.
On both occassions they relented and were apologetic but it did spoll the wonderful experience.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
delhi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

Make sure while booking the exact room location and type before you reach them . They can offer you a side cornered dirtly room.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Noida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

Am a frequent traveller and stay out often both India and Abroad but Avalon Resort had been one of the worst experiences in recent times. Zero value for money. We stayed for a night with our twin sons and it was no pleasure. Service is too poor and too slow, the attitude is worst and except for a couple of warm staff. The beds are lousy and after a long travel i wanted to climb into the bed but just a feel of bed, I jumped out and was better to sit on bed... Absolutely inflexible, one of the worst worst experiences. Not an enjoyable place if hygiene, service, cleanliness and warmth are anywhere on your list....

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Delhi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

Well we reach out abit late there and we already had a booking but staff was kind to help. They send their own guy to get our to their Hotel. Resort was on top of a hill. For the first time we reach out with our car. It was a great view from the resort all around. I already booked for valley view, std appt.

The room was an excellent one, with a perfect location. Well maintained, good interiors. It was just awesome. The staff was also kind and helping.

We get relax and went down to Mall for walk and food.. it was a great day, we walk all to the left and right on same day. Thr was nothing much to do. I crossed kepty fall once, so i know that was a hopeless place, so we planned to go back to hotel.

Now thr was the most biggest problem. Resort was way high from the mall. It was fine with me bt my wife was so much tired that she said better to stay back at room.

Well in night the view was awesome, the glittering stars - entire dehradoon city, just beautiful...

It was an awesome location room. We really enjoyed. We order the food in room, It was also good.

• Liked — View from Room
  • Disliked — the height and no conv from hotel
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Haryana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

If u still wanna stay, take only Room Nos. 2 to 8.
Any other Room no. means climbing the Hill. They only advertise the Golf Cart. They dont use it. They will make you cry for the Golf Cart. either it is out of battery and being charged, or the driver is not available..or they'll say that YOU were not there on the collection point. Apart from the Golf Cart also, still some climbing is required.. So older people or mothers with small infants are a strict No-No in this Resort. Service is poor.. 29 and 30 number rooms are not renovated yet.. Never stay there even for free.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Delhi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

Its a beautiful property on top of a hill called gunhill, as you enter the mall. The rooms are very nice have a very nice view overlooking ITBP hill, food is ok could have been better if they had some more options other than Indian. A peacful place to stay, away from the hustle bustle of the mall. An electric operated golf cart is used which is environment friendly is used to transport guests from the reception to their rooms. An Ayurveda Massage where you can reuvenate yourself after a hectic drive from Delhi, Ardhyanga Therapy Recommended. A resort which is complete in itself where everuthing is within itself.

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Convinience
  • Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Avalon Holiday Resorts? Share your experiences!