My family and I stayed at the Hotel Ashoka for 4 nights in February 2011.
The only reason we did not move to another hotel is because I had already booked the hotel by credit card for 4 nights. We were so tired after travelling in India for 4 months and had too much luggage to move yet again with 2 children. Very disappointing, this was our last stay in India before our long trip home.
The name Ashoka truly means " A Shoka" eg. A shocker, if you are a western traveller you will definitely will not be happy. We have stayed in many hotels but this the worst.
A few bad points are listed below:
1. When we arrived the Manager was rude and unhelpful.
2. The television was unwatchable due to poor reception.
BUT even worse, there was no plug on the end of the power cord,
they just stuck the wires into the powerpoint, nice and safe for children.
3. The website said that it had a mini bar and a safe for valuables in the room, it had neither.
When I asked the manager if I could get both he said he replied very rudely and without eye contact
while he was sitting in the foyer with his mates "not possible, take it up with reservations".
4. The bed sheets were dirty and the blankets also. The towels were the colour white about 5 years ago.
5. The toilet window was covered up with news paper.
6. There was air conditioner, but the same as the tv, there was no power plug, only exposed wiring.
Also there was no power to the air conditioner between the hours of 6-9pm, I tested the powerpoint at 10.30pm and it still was not working.
I am so glad that it was cold in New Delhi at the time, but I need the power point as only the tv power point stayed on permanently.
7. Hot water was only available between 5am - 10am, we were offered a bucket of hot water,
but then someone came up to the room they said that it was "not possible".
I don't mind taking cold shower in summer, but it was very cold in Delhi when we were there.
8. We were charged for breakfast even though on the website is said that breakfast was included in the price (We even asked which breakfast was free and were told what we could order).
We were charged for five breakfasts even though we were only there for 3 mornings.
We were charged for two American breakfast which we did not order. What was really funny was that the American breakfasts
included fruit which was not available in the restaurant at the hotel.
9. Ordered a chi tea and the container was black from mould.
10. Paint was peeling of the walls.
11. The pictures on the website are actual, but must have been taken when the hotel was built 10 years ago. One regret is i did not take any photos to show how the room looked.
12. Light and fan switches were unique, If you turned on the light a fan would come on also,
and depending on which switch you turned on, would result in a different combination of lights and fans.
13. I wish I had read the review from the link below, before I proceeded to book the hotel, because it is exactly as it says.
14. One positive, there were two young boys who were always ready to help carry luggage.
I hope this review helps.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Ashoka Continental reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.