“Hospitality at it's best” 5 of 5 stars

La Villa Bethany
Near Kellogg Memorial Church | Landour, Mussoorie 248179, India   |
Ranked #1 of 71 Mussoorie B&B and Inns
Hyderabad, India
“Hospitality at it's best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

We ended up booking LVB out of a short list of the cheaper hotels in Mussoorie just because it 'looked good' and boy, we feel thankful we did that. The proprietors, Sunita and Amarjeet are very hospitable and their dedication to running LVB in a ecologically sustainable manner is laudable. The rooms are tastefully done & are quite cozy and comfortable and the family's 3 Tibetian Terriers were great fun to play with.

The one house rule which LVB has is that all house guests dine together, and it was nice to converse with the foreign guests staying there and studying at the language school.

Staying at LVB was an experience in itself which added much more to our visit to Mussoorie than we had expected. Given it's location, quaintness, comfort and most importantly, the quality of service, I would highly recommend LVB to anyone planning to visit Mussoorie.

Will return 10/10.

Room Tip: Try the log cabin if its vacant!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Abhishek,

Thank you for taking out the time to review us! it means a lot to us when we get acknowledgement for our green initiatives. It motivates us to strive for more ways to give back to society.

I am glad you you enjoyed the meal times at the "family" table with all guests. This is one of the USPs of LVB and has become formalized on the feedback given by one of our guests whom we remember very fondly.

We look forward to welcoming you back home soon and yes, this time in the Log Cabin!

Sunita

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
New Delhi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Lovely comfortable place. Its home. This is a beautiful heritage property tucked away in Landour...perfect location, perfect setting and perfect people running the place. Sunita and Amarjit are doing an amazing job. Staff very very courteous. Loved the log cabin. Will return definitely.

Room Tip: log cabin is to die for.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Leeza,

Thank you for taking out the time to review us! Your appreciation means a lot to us! Glad you could spend some quality quiet time with Col. Sahab here before you get head on with the busy days ahead.

Looking forward to welcoming you back with your gang of girls now!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

La Villa Bethany

I visited La Villa Bethany from March 15-17 with my family and friends. The group consisted 6 adults, and four kids aged, 5 months, 2.5yrs, 3yrs, 7yrs and an 8 yr old Labrador.

After a long 10 hour drive from Gurgaon to Landour, we were very tired but the destination was worth the drive.

What struck me immediately was the breathtaking view of the Himalayas as we drove up toward the entrance to La Villa Bethany. Through a framework of tall pines and deodars, the setting sun lit up the majestic mountains and made them seem as though they were within touching range. Excitedly we all jumped out of our cars, rejuvenated, and started clicking pictures, not wanting to miss an angle of this magnificent mountain range.

Although it was around 6pm, we got a clear view from the entrance of La Villa Bethany, the perfect start to a great weekend.

We were met by staff of La Villa Bethany to help with our bags down the steep slope to the cottages perched on a terraced hill. Surrounded by lots of greenery, La Villa Bethany is tucked away on a hill side, dotted with blossoming rhododendrons. At first sight you can see the lovely log cabin half way down the incline, followed by the green, scalloped roofing of the old English cottage.

Here we met Sunita with huge smiles and warm hugs, and hot cups of ginger and honey tea to keep the evening chill at bay and relax us.

She gave us a tour of the property and then we all settled into our rooms to have a quick shower and unpack for the weekend. While my family and I stayed at the main building, our friends and their families were put up at Longworth Block in two suites.

After a sumptuous Kashmiri meal of rice, mutton, dum alloo and chapatis,( and endless chatter and laughter), we all headed for our bedrooms which were quite cozy and comfortable. My family and I stayed in the deluxe rooms located next to the dining area, The Wells and Shore Rooms. The beds were large enough to accommodate the four of us comfortably and the bathrooms were clean and equipped with all the toiletries necessary.
Sunita, the owner made sure heaters were placed in all the rooms, ours and that of our friends, because it got quite cold at night although it was mid March.

After a good night's sleep we had a hearty English breakfast, and after making plans for dinner, we set off on a short tour of the area with Sunita as our guide. She narrated the history of the place to us and pointed out each type of plant as we made our way down to Char Dukan, which was about 1.5kms away.

She is not only committed to the success of her business but has an awareness and respect for the environment that I wish each one of us possessed. LVB is an extension of this passion as it uses solar energy, from water heaters to cookers, hence the reason she's won so many awards. Of course, her dynamic personality also has something to do with it.....I'm sure:-))

On our walk, she was busy picking garbage from the roadside and didn't discard it until she got to a garbage bin. She has also instilled the same admirable qualities in her daughter, Shrushti, who, along the walk, was busy collecting certain types of leaves to treat stings etc, in case anyone should get bitten. A late lunch was taken at Char Dukan and then we made our way back to La Villa Bethany.

That night we had planned a barbecue in the courtyard of LVB but the cloud cover and drop in temperature didn't allow it. However, the kitchen oven and grill still made it a tasty, filling meal.

We had planned to leave early that morning but after consulting Sunita and her husband, Amarjeet, we were informed of a shorter route we could take back to Gurgaon, and so we set off at 11:15am. This route would take us through Roorkee and we'd avoid the Saharanpur road we took on our way there which led to a longer, more tedious drive.

It was difficult pulling the kids away as they had become quite attached to Sunita's daughter, and her dogs, especially Pepper, a two week old Himalayan Sheep Dog pup. There was also ample space for them to run around, and a play area where they spent most of their time making new friends as well.

As for us, the adults, we took one last deep breath of fresh, unpolluted air, and made up our minds, long and hard, to return to hazy, Gurgaon.

We ate our puris, alloo, eggs and toast, filling our tummies before setting off. As we drove on Holi, all the shops were closed which made it easier as there was very little traffic. On the Meerut bypass, a Mc Donlad's outlet was open and this is where we had lunch. Making good time back to Gurgaon, where we arrived at 6pm.

We plan to return to Landour, if not this year, then next, but this time during winter when it snows. For if we have to be stuck in a place when it's snowing, then LVB is our first choice. For no matter how cold it may be outside, the warmth of the people and that place, can melt any icicle wherever it may be.......

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Angie,

Wow! What can I say, you have not missed capturing a single moment of your stay! Thank you!!! It has been our privilege to meet you all and the kids and I am glad they enjoyed themselves. We look forward to welcome you guys back home soon and promise you a barbeque and yes if its snowing - "a snow man" for our lil princess!

New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We found La Villa Bethany via tripadvisor after being highly recommended by some of our friends. What we experienced was far greater than the amazing reviews we had heard. This truly was a place straight out of a Ruskin Bond or Enid Blyton storybook, with spectacular views of clouds rolling into the hills during day to the crisp and star spangled nights. It was the perfect winter getaway my wife and I could have imagined for our Anniversary.

We stayed at the Bedell Suite and immediately fell in love with how everything was detailed with so much love and care, from the authentic decor, the cozy handmade quilts and coordinated warm colors to the perfect lighting. The water harvesting system, kitchen garden and greenhouse were some of the most effective eco-friendly and self-sustained measures we had ever seen. Most importantly Sunita, Amarjeet and little Shurshti welcomed us like family and made us feel right at home sharing their amazing story with us over meals in the grand dining hall. The ever smiling staff too, always attentive and caring of all our needs. With great walks around the top of Landour to the old world charm of the cottages, historic sites like Kellog's Church and the quaint sisters's Bazaar shops selling peanut butter chocolates and cinammon rolls there was plenty to do and see all around as well. The artist in me was so inspired that the day before we left, i couldn't help but sit and sketch a view of the suite.

The three nights and three days spent at LVB will be one of our most cherished and memorable holidays not only in India, but in the whole world. The fragrance of Geranium flowers will always remind us of the gorgeous sunsets we spent sitting in that Balcony. LVB We cannot wait to return again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Reuben,

You and Tanu are now part of the LVB family. It has become your "Home" and only you could have captured it so beautifully in words and also in sketch. The sketch of the Longworth Block that you made during your stay, proudly hangs in the Dining room.

Your home now awaits your return!

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

The first thing that strikes u about the place is tat u cant see it...and that is th best part about it..its so cozily hidden in th ghats that you want it to b that way..The moment u enter the the place u realize th passion and the thought which is put behind each nook & corner of the house,right from show piece to chandeliers..Rooms r cozy n the log cabin is the best...I didnt miss my bed back home..Unlike th cold weather outside the staff was warm n friendly..At such altitude wat really cheers u up is the sunshine snow and some "ghar ka khana"....that is exactly what the cooks dish out for u at LVB..Last but definitely not the least to manage a home you need a woman..and that for LVB is Sunita...3 cheers fr LVB

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Rachna,

Thank you for not just taking out the time to review us but to also get your friends over. I am so glad that you guys enjoyed yourself and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

My wife and I stayed two nights at LVB during February. When we first meet Sunita, she welcomed us home and although we only stayed two nights, we were treated as family. The food was excellent and the views are just spectacular. Our room, the Bedell Suite, had a gorgeous view of the valley and we actually came home early during the day just to enjoy the gorgeous sunsets and view the rare winter line. I was also extremely impressed with the green energy. Solar water heating and 60,000 litters of stored mountain H2O make LVB a self sustaining paradise. The hand made local soaps and lotions adorning our bathroom were also an unexpected perk. My only regret is that we were only able to stay two nights. We will absolutely return the next time we visit Mussoorie. Thank you, Sunita!

Room Tip: The Bedell suite has a cozy deck and a wonderful view of the valley. It's an excellent room to s...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Dirk,

Thank you for taking out the time to review us! It means a lot to us, especially your encouragement on our green initiatives. It is something very close to our hearts. Look forward to welcoming you home soon!

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I stayed at LVB for all of February while I studied Hindi at Landour Language School and it was an ideal home base. Bethany is located just a 5 minute walk away from school, which allowed me to sleep in and enjoy a leisurely breakfast every day before going to class, and also gave me the option of coming home between lessons if need be. Breakfast and dinner were wonderful and healthy throughout my stay, and I really enjoyed talking to the staff at the hotel to practice my Hindi!

Overall, the rooms are very cozy and warm, the bathrooms are very clean, and there is always plenty of hot water for showers/baths (which is wonderful during the cold season!) - in addition, when I was quite sick with a stomach issue for a one-week period, Sunita Aunty took very good care of me, making simple meals that I could eat and making sure I was okay. I'm very grateful for the hospitality.

The place is a bit removed and isolated from the rest of Mussoorie, about a 30-min walk, which makes it a bit more difficult to explore, wander, or eat meals outside of Landour, but the cleanliness, hospitality, and convenience for language students absolutely makes up for this in my opinion. If I were coming again for language study, or for a short trip with my family, I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Sunitakudle, Owner at La Villa Bethany, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Ravi,

Thank you for taking out the time to review us and I am very sorry for such a delayed response. However you would be glad to know that this time has been well spent in making "your home" more comfortable for all its future guests! We now have a few additions to the house which I am sure you would like.

We have also been busy in taking forward our commitment to the environment and the local community further and are working extensively with the close by villages that were affected by the floods last year. These efforts are now yielding results and we have managed to positively impact lives of more that 500 families. We would love to share all this with you in your future visits.

Looking forward to welcoming you home once again. Take care & God Bless.

Sunita

Been to La Villa Bethany? Share your experiences!