“Mixed Experience” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 56 Hotels in Varanasi
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Mixed Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

I travelled with my partner and 2 adult children. We booked 2 nights in the hotel and had both positive and negative experiences.

The positive first. All staff are very friendly and helpful, especially Muna whose tour of Varanasi was interesting. The hotels location is great, being on the banks of the Ganga and in the heart of the old city. The restaurant served decent vegetarian food in an open-air venue with fantastic views of the river. However the tables seem never to be washed and were covered in flies when we arrived at the restaurant which was uninviting at best!

The negative experiences related to the rooms themselves. They are extremely small and spartan (we booked the larger rooms with balconies overlooking the river so I imagine the standard rooms are even worse). We had no hot water in 1 room and neither room was serviced. The bathrooms are very uncomfortable with the shower being located virtually above the we with no curtain to retain the water so every time the shower is used the entire bathroom is flooded.

In summary if you're not too fussed with the spartan nature of the rooms and facilities the location of the hotel will make up for these deficiencies.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I booked this hotel for two nights for my stay in Varanasi, and I was not disappointed. I stayed at the royal view room. The room was clean, but my personal opinion is that it is not worthing the extra money compared to the deluxe room, just for having a balcony facing Ganga. However, I cannot blame the hotel staff for this since I was given the choice and I have chosen this room. I've arranged also pick-up from the airport, for an extra fee. The hotel cannot be reached directly by taxi since it is in the pedestrian only area, so someone from the hotel waited for me where the taxi stopped and took me to the hotel. All in all, a quite nice experience.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

This hotel was the reason that we enjoyed Varanasi as much as we did! We were collected from the train station (at an additional cost, which we were informed about prior to booking) by a very friendly driver who begun our stay on a great note. We had probably the best room in the hotel, with a balcony hanging over the Ganges, which provided a perfect spot to take in the serene views of the river at sunrise and sunset. Our room was spacious and clean. The restaurant was good, with great service, which was very important to us in our travels. We also took a day tour run by the hotel manager, Munna, who was excellent!! His energy and excitement in teaching us about his city and culture meant an informative and fun day. We were taken on a sunrise and sunset boat ride up and down the Ganges, went to a few temples, a silk factory, the university, Burger King Restaurant for lunch (where we had a delicious curry) and was taken on a tour of the old city by foot. The small things made a difference on this tour, such as Munna asking the driver to stop off on the side of the road where we enjoyed our first cup of Chai, which was followed by many many more! After showing interest in the kites that we saw being flown up and down the river, Munna made the effort of getting his own kite and letting us have a try at flying it off the hotel balcony. The front desk was organised and efficient, we booked our flight from Varanasi to Agra through them and were very satisfied with the process.

Highly recommended to travellers visiting Varanasi.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Totnes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We had an enjoyable stay at The Alka for the first three nights of December, the hotel is a little difficult to find the first time as it is tucked away down some narrow lanes( I understand that you get arrange for the hotel to meet you on arrival at Varansasi which is advisable). Once there Hotel Alka's location is really good as it backs onto the ghats along The Ganges .The views from the hotel are great and you can see most of Varanasi's 4 mile Ganges frontage from the balconies!It is easy to walk to all the Ghats at the sights of Varanasi from The Alka.
The hotel is clean, well run and everything works. The restauant is very friendly and serves tasty vegetarian food( although I found the egg free pancakes a challenge!) We ate there alot!
After we checked out my partner was taken ill (a bug caught elsewhere in Varanasi) so we returned to The Alka to rest before catching the overnight train to Delhi.Neeraj and his colleagues were very caring to her and gave her a room to try and recuperate before travelling.This was a kind and thoughtful touch after we had checked out ! Thank you Alka!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Elanora, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

The rooms were clean and had everything you need for the price you pay. The courtyard is great for meeting other tourists. The food is great and all the staff are very kind and helpful. They helped us get a locals taste of Varanasi :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I am Naim from Morocco I stayed in #126, first time in India & Varanasi as well, I liked food here the most, staff is very helpful,kind & always smiling, than the view which is again near Ganga river,I took city tour from Hotel with very reasonable price & Mr. Munna is the organizer of my tour,and I can say its a memorable tour for me,Hotel management organize Christmas function with Classical dance & music program with cake cutting ceremony.
which is wonderful function, last but not the least this place is home away home.

Room Tip: all the category rooms are nice I believe.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Good low budget option if you want to stay by the riverside and the main ghats (Burning ghats, Dashashwamedh Ghat etc). I was in the standard single room, clean and well maintained. However, the large open air vents above the door meant that I could hear much more than I wanted to from the next room. The restaurant is pretty average, but the staff were very helpful in terms of making sure you didn't get ripped off too much by touts etc..

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Alka? Share your experiences!