“Heavenly terrace” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 56 Hotels in Varanasi
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“Heavenly terrace”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Alka hotel seems like nothing special. Rooms are enough clean, staff is enough kind, prices are farely low. But... for me their view above the holiest river of all - river Ganga is that overwhelming part of Hotel Alka, that brings me back year after year. Sitting on a little terrace, watching everyday life beneath the terrace... listening to the sounds of evening rituals... words can hardly describe the happines I feel on that terrace. And that's why next year when I come back to my favourite indian city, I'll be again booking a simple room with a luxurious view in Hotel Alka. :)

Room Tip: Well... it should be a room towards the Ganga. ;)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed for two nights. We had a pleasant stay. Friendly environment. Extended us excellent support in our pilgrimage. Thanks to Mr. Munna for accompanying us to have darshan of the Lord Shiva, Annapurna temple & Ganga Harathi and for meticulous planning our local tour other tourist attractions. Further, we enjoyed good quality vegetarian food at Apex restaurant. Overall a nice place with caring staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

we stayed here for 2 nights rooms are clean , staff is very helpful and arrange a boat ride for us, the place is in the ally that what the negative point is car cant go inside to the hotel, very decent price, meal was good offered by the hotel

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I arrived in Varanasi exhausted after a highly delayed 14 hour train from Agra. I couldn't believe it when after the hotel pick up, my driver had to stop his car and walk with me for a rather long time to get through the streets... but that's Varanasi for you. Lots of winding streets too small for cars. I was really tired of hauling my stuff, so by the time I got to the hotel, my goal was to spend the rest of the day literally sitting.

I have to say, it was a great place to sit. The room was clean and spacious and although the power went out every now and then, they had a generator to work as a back up so it was never a problem. There is a terrace overlooking the Ganges and it made for a great place to get some food and sit and read for hours, which I did. The staff were accommodating and friendly and the hotel was great. Location is awesome in terms of being on the Ganges and getting around the alleys, but as far as accessibility for a car, well, impossible.

I highly recommend a hotel pick up because I thinking finding this place would be otherwise impossible. They were great though. My train was delayed so they left, but when I called, they returned. They also look out for their guests to make sure they are traveling safely and ask that you call them if you stay out late.

One recommendation I have is to get flat sheets. They have old worn out fitted sheets on the beds and then just a blanket. It was fine, but would have felt a lot cleaner if there was also a flat sheet. Other than that, it was all I could have asked for for the price and I was not disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Tadcaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in this hotel. The views are fantastic, the food is cheap, they sell cold beers and all well prepared. The receptionist can organise guides, boats and even send his staff out to buy your cigarettes.

We were on the top floor at the front, I soon realised why there was steel mesh all around the veranda..keep your bedroom doors closed, the monkeys come in and steal things.

The bedroom was basic, ensuite shower..wet room. This is not a plush hotel but it is clean and they are helpful. A bit difficult to find but we asked someone in the street how to find it and they took us through the lanes to get there, Tip was expected of course. There are three separate terraces to sit on and they also have a small book shop that you can buy second hand books.

Situated in the lanes which you will have to bustle through and pass people and cows to get there. Well worth it just to be able to sit and watch the people go about their daily business in and around the Ganges.

Room Tip: Top front rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Nice location near Ganges.

However, not easy to approach by car.

I had to carry my back for 15 minutes from the street where the train station pick up dropped me off to the hotel / hostel.

Decently priced but you get what you paid for.

Ate at the hotel evert meal and they were good.

• Stayed August 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed at Alka for three nights.

The positive: (1) the young man who administers bookings and arranges things for guests is exceptionally helpful and calm; (2) the view is amazing! It kind of feels like you're on the Ganges; (3) the food and drinks are cheap; and (4) all the hotel staff is very warm and helpful.

Our room was the deluxe AC double. It wasn't overpriced and it was quite spacious.

The negatives (or maybe just tips to make your stay as good as everyone else suggests): (1) bring your own towel. Provided towels smell and look unclean; (2) be prepared for sheets that look unclean (holes/stains) and that smell like mold (the latter of which is par for the course in most of India); and (3) you may want to wipe down counter tops and other surface areas, as the staff likely just tidies before a new guest takes occupancy.

The are small points, yes, but the deserve mentioning so that new arrivals know what to expect.

If the rooms/sheets/towels were clean, I would have given Alka a 5/5 on value for cost. Enjoy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Alka? Share your experiences!