“Hotel Restaurant - really good !” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Hindusthan International Varanasi
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   C-21/3, Maldahiya, Varanasi 221001, India   |
Ranked #38 of 53 hotels in Varanasi
Toronto, Canada
“Hotel Restaurant - really good !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I attended a wedding in Varanasi and dined here a few days later on the way back to the town my husband's family is from. I have read the other reviews and all I can say is that I loved the feel of the place from the moment I stepped into the cool and serene lobby with its impressive atrium and comfortable sitting areas. My husband and his family went to arrange for a table in the restaurant with all the wood panelling and glass ( there are two restaurants and I don't recall the names). This was the more formal of the two and I found that it did not disappoint. We had a constant "parade" of dishes that pleased the palate ; especially the chilli chicken and Chinese noodle ( chow mein) type dishes were awesome. Eggplant and other vegetarian dishes were also wonderful. White table cloths and attentive service complemented the overall "starched" experience - which was quite welcome to me ! A great place to eat and freshen up while staying in Varanasi or en route elsewhere ! We are now considering hosting the next family wedding here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

199 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
County Tipperary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed here for two days. The hotel was not too bad, but we were put into a single room, so the room was very small. It was central to everything. Food was not brilliant, however as I was not very well I spent most of the two days in bed. One redeeeming factor for my husband was that one of the bars allowed smoking! Would we stay here again, probably not.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Vadodara, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Location was fairly central for the Ganges and other attractions and friendly staff and the size of the rooms were good. There is lot of opportunity to improve the service quality and type of food offered in buffet.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Sevenoaks
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

What can I say. Definately the worst hotel we stayed in during our 18 days in India. Initially our room was filthy, dirty finger prints around the electrical fittings and a window you couldn't see out of, plus the room stunk of smoke. Eventually we were offered another room. This had only one light working in the bathroom and the fridge was broken. We asked the Deputy Manager about this and he promised to get it fixed. Over the course of two days we asked a further three times about fixing these and each time received profuse apologies and 'it will be fixed in five minutes', but nothing happened. When we dined in the restaurant on our last night my biryiani took an age to prepare, guess they don;t know how to prepare such an unfamiliar dish, and when it arrived it was chicken, not the mutton I had ordered. When I pointed this out to the waiter he took my fork, pushed it through the food on my plate and to his surprise came up with a drumstick! The previous day it had taken 45 minutes to prepare cheese on toast in an empty restaurant. Final straw when we went to leave they had mis-placed one of my signed receipts yet wanted me to settle their bill without all the dockets. Took them almost half an hour to locate this from their accounts department. Their level of incompetance was raised to new highs, what with lies, surley staff and my only advice to anyone rash enough to consider staying here is....NO, don't do it.
But then was it all our fault, after all the room we were transfered to was 101!

Room Tip: Another hotel, any other hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed this hotel April 6th and I fill really disappointment.

First, washroom is totally dirty. I can't shower because room was so dirty. Really sucks...

Second, breakfirst was really sucks. All cups are broken and food quality was sucks... And there are so many dirt on coffee machine but no one try to clean. really like trash.

Third, really terrable hotel front. I call taxi from hotel but taxi driver don't want to go because I'm the only passenger, even I pay more then 10 times higher than local taxi.

Please.. if you don't want to hasitate your travel, never stay this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Newcastle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Really helpful friendly staff and the size of the rooms were good. Location was fairly central for the Ganges and other attractions. Two major problems however: the room was really hot and the a/c was terrible. The fan on the ceiling cooled it down but was noisy enough to prevent sleep. The other issue we had was the traffic noise which was again very loud.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Chennai (Madras), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The hotel is located very centrally, especially for those who are visiting the temple and the ghats. At Rs.5000 a night for a standard double, the rooms were spacious, well equipped, modern decor with wooden flooring, comfortable beds, and all the elements that go into making a room comfortable. Service was consistently good. The bad - you would get hot water sometimes and barely warm water most of the times; the AC did not have independent control in the room - you either turned it on or off! For a hotel at this level, these were serious lapses that hopefully they will fix.

I made the mistake of using the travel desk at the hotel for car hire. Apart from the exorbitant charges, the car's AC could not cool even when the outside temp was just 29 degrees C. They charge Rs.1200 for an airport drop (about 23 kms to the airport one-way). Unfortunately the travel desk seriously compromised our hotel experience. While giving the hotel a rating of 4, I have ignored my unhappiness with the Travel Desk.

Room Tip: DO NOT use the travel desk at the hotel!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Hindusthan International Varanasi? Share your experiences!