“The Gateway Hotel Taj, Varanasi” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi

Save Saved
You added The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi to your Saves list
The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nadesar Palace Grounds | Cantonment, Varanasi 221002, India (Formerly Taj)   |
Ranked #13 of 53 hotels in Varanasi
Gurgaon, India
“The Gateway Hotel Taj, Varanasi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

The Gateway Hotel Taj at Varanasi is located centrally and in comparatively cleaner environs of Varanasi city. The Hotel is just about 1.5 km from the Varanasi cantonment Railway Station, about 2.5 kms from the city bus stand and about 22kms from the Varanasi Airport. Though the hotel belongs to the Taj Group of hotels the decor and rooms cannot be compared to Taj Mumbai as far as elegance goes. Nevertheless it is one of the best hotels in the tariff range. The rooms are old but are well maintained and kept clean. The hotel is constructed in a 'swastik' shape, which is an ancient hindu symbol of good health. The hotel is housed in a sprawling garden and has good space all around which is a bonus in a place like Varanasi, which is very crowded and a city of narrow alleys. The hotel has a swimming pool, gymnasium,spa, coffee shop, a good sitting lounge, a restaurant and a shopping outlet which sells local artifacts, silk sarees (Varanasi is famous for silk sarees) and carpets. The restaurant is very good which offers awesome breakfast and buffet with wide variety of food to suit the taste of tourists worldover. The staff is courteous and responsive. Adjacent to the hotel there is Taj Ganges which is palatial and has very good premium suites which are on a higher tariff. Taj Ganges is also located on a huge area of open space and is very comfortable for staying, while visiting the holy hindu city of Varanasi.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the swimming pool are ideal for better view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Greetings from the city of the temples!!
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback. I am pleased to note that we met your expectations and you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us. I have shared your appreciation with my team as feedback such as yours motivate us to achieve higher levels of service. I look forward to meeting you during your next stay with us at Varanasi.

651 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Hotel was overall clean but facilities were a bit old which were under our expectations. Staff was polite and generally helpful though.

However, we were very unhappy with the local tours arranged by the hotel. We visited the Ganges River twice, both at sunset and sunrise, as many travel books recommended. We were told that due to the waters level we couldn't get on a boat as the local police wouldn't allow it so we went for a car trip instead to visit different ghats although in reality we pretty much had to walk everywhere... (so for those who DO want to get on a boat which we think is pretty much what you most want to do in Varanasi, please check with your hotel beforehand).

For the sunset one, we went to one of the ghats to see a ceremony (half an hour long) in which ppl do their prayers/worships to gods. We were arranged to sit on a boat (parked by the Ghat) which was soooooo far away from where the ceremony was held and we basically saw nothing! Upon our request, we moved to the steps from which we were able to see LITTLE but had to stand all the way through. During the ceremony, the guide was just sitting behind us and did no explanation either. Then we went back to the hotel. And that was it.

On the next day (i.e. the sunrise trip), we were originally told to meet the guide at the hotel lobby at 4:45am but the guide said 5am was ok. However, once we got out of the hotel, the sun was already out. We thought we would see the sunrise at the Ganges River! We were first brought to the SAME Ghat to see ppl bathe at the river where there were only a couple of ppl doing so (and we ALREADY saw it the day before during the sunset trip!!!). We thought it would be a different Ghat which was mentioned in some travel books! Then we walked to the cremation Ghat but again from where we stood we basically saw nothing!!! When we asked the guide if we could get any closer, he just said we could walk there but he would stay behind and wait... Last but not least, we headed to the Golden Temple but again the guide was just telling us to leave all our belongings with him at a random souvenir shop and we go ourselves. What's the point of having a guide if we have to walk to different sightseeing spots ourselves, not to mention leaving all our belongings at a random shop?

Overall we think the guide was very unhelpful and had a very bad experience at Varanasi.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Greetings from the city of the temples!!
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your feedback. We have noted your constructive feedback pertaining to the tours organized by the hotel Travel Desk. The same has been duly shared with the team especially with the Accommodations Manager and we promise to take corrective actions from our end. It is our constant endeavour to provide the finest of products & services in line with the standard of Taj Group of Hotels, myself and my team assure you that all steps have been take to ensure non-recurrence of such inconvenience in future.We value your patronage and I am confident that you would provide us another opportunity to be of service to you and experience the gracious hospitality and legendary service provided by The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi. I look forward to welcoming you again during your next stay with us!
Varanasi 221 002 India
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

The heading says it all. My comment is not based on technical grounds as The Gateway Hotels are very much a part of the Taj Group of Hotels. The comment is based more on the experience you get out of staying here versus a Taj Hotel. This was my second Gateway experience. The first one at Vadodara was FAR better. But this one was a disappointment. The room was as expected. The main culprit was the fact that the Hotel insisted that a small junior bed was a KING bed. It was ridiculous to suggest. Surely the TAJ management can provide a standard size definition across its own chain. Doing so will prevent travellers like me from getting disappointed and save the Hotel management some time that we lose getting into needless arguments about what is a King size bed in actual dimensions. To make matters worse the amenities in the room the bathroom in particular were not of expected standards at all. There was no dental kit, no comb and a matter of grave safety concern there was NO SAFETY MAT in the bath tub. Considering that there is NO shower cubicle taking a bath in the room can be seriously risky business particularly if age is not on your side and you are alone in the room. The spread at the breakfast table was just about satisfactory. The food was good at the Varuna and only satisfactory at the GAD. The staff is courteous and helpful. To sum up if you are a person who likes Luxury in abundance then this is not the place look elsewhere. This is an average business hotel.

Room Tip: Garden Facing and farthest away from the Renovation floor would be the best choice.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Greetings from the city of the temples!!
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your feedback. We have noted your constructive feedback pertaining to the room and amenities .The same has been duly shared with the team especially with the Accommodations Manager and Executive Housekeeper and we promise to take corrective actions from our end. It is our constant endeavour to provide the finest of products & services in line with the standard of Taj Group of Hotels, myself and my team assure you that all steps have been take to ensure non-recurrence of such inconvenience in future.We value your patronage and I am confident that you would provide us another opportunity to be of service to you and experience the gracious hospitality and legendary service provided by The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi. I look forward to welcoming you again during your next stay with us!
Varanasi 221 002 India
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I stayed here twice during official visits, 3 days each time. The rooms are nicely done tough they are a bit small in size for a luxury hotel. The best part about the hotel is the huge garden, my room being garden facing just made it better.I spent time reading a book and having a lazy smoke in the garden with a lot of open space to myself.
The room service is top notch, so is the morning buffet. The staff is really courteous & pleasing.
For its price range, the stay here is a steal..!!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Coimbatore, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Firsly, one expects nothing short of excellent service in every Taj property and this one doesn't disappoint either. Absolutely clean and deco-laden interiors, some of them even precious pieces of art, I hear. Next, the room I got was a medium sized one, but had pleasing views of the city. We didn't want to try the buffet because of less number of options and we were then soon well guided by waiter NAVEEN who told about some alternations in buffet he had given us some starters and they were amazing. great mind reader and a well trained waiter with excellent english and knowledge.
Just one disappointment for me though, the bath tub was a tad less wide, so its not suited to those with a lottle extra pounds on them..!
The staff were polite and readily granted us a late check out by 1500 hrs.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sir,
Greetings from the city of the temples!!
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback. I am pleased to note that we met your expectations and you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us. I am also glad to note the positive experience especially with 'Naveen' from restaurant who have been complimented on your behalf. We have also noted your suggestive feedback on bathtub and same was duly shared with the team and we ensure for corrective actions at our end. I have shared your appreciation with my team as feedback such as yours motivate us to achieve higher levels of service. I look forward to meeting you during your next stay with us at Varanasi.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Varanasi was emotionally draining & the Gateway provided a retreat from this & time to reflect on what we had seen and felt on seeing the ghats.
The staff were helpful & friendly making our stay enjoyable. But we were not warned on check in of renovation work in progress which made noise through the day. Not a big problem but we should have been warned on check in. Having drawn it to the managements attention - a letter did then appear in our room.
The staff were accommodating as we arrived early following an overnight train
The room was roomy & comfortable
The gardens are pleasant and the pool area clean & well managed.
We took advantage of a guide & boatman arranged by the hotel for 2 trips on the GAnges- I would recommend this option - it was good value & the guide excellent.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Greetings from the city of the temples!!
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback. We have noted your constructive feedback pertaining to the noise of renovation which was duly shared with the team, especially with the Accommodation Manager and we promise to take corrective actions at our end. It is our constant endeavour to provide the finest of products and service in line with the standards of Taj Group of Hotels, myself and my team assure you that all steps have been taken to ensure non-recurrence of such inconvenience in future. We are also glad to note the appreciation for the ambience of pool and the garden and also for the compliments for our associates. We value your patronage and I am confident that you would provide us another opportunity to be of service to you and experience the gracious hospitality and the legendary service provided by The Gateway hotel Ganges Varanasi. I look forward to meeting you during your next stay with us at Varanasi.
T 91 542 666 0001 F 91 542 250 1343
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Varanasi is so stunning that the hotel experience here is really secondary. The facility was OK, rooms older and showing some signs of wear. The buffets were lavish but a bit frightening when I realized one morning that the milk I put in my coffee was really warm from having set out too long-I replaced it all promptly-didn't need any more GI challenges!
The gardens here were very pretty, staff friendly but a bit aggressive.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Greetings from the city of the temples!!
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback. We have noted your feedback and the concerns which was addressed to the Food & Beverage Manager & Learning Development Manager for further improvements and we promise to take corrective actions at our end. It is our constant endeavour to provide the finest of products and service in line with the standards of Taj Group of Hotels, myself and my team assure you that all steps have been taken to ensure non-recurrence of such inconvenience in future. We value your patronage and I am confident that you would provide us another opportunity to be of service to you and experience the gracious hospitality and the legendary service provided by The Gateway hotel Ganges Varanasi. I look forward to meeting you during your next stay with us at Varanasi.
T 91 542 666 0001 F 91 542 250 1343

Been to The Gateway Hotel Ganges Varanasi? Share your experiences!