“The best part of our travels in India” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 22 Activities in Varanasi
More attraction details
Owner description: VaranasiWalks is an experience oriented and eco-friendly walking tour and boat journey company. We give an intimate look at the holy city of Varanasi by providing both licensed guides and cultural explorers who are able to show you places in the city that the average tourist could never find. VaranasiWalks was started by an international who has lived in Varanasi since 2001 and now has 7 staff members. VaranasiWalks was birthed out of running a successful Hindu Studies & Hindi Language university program and working in the Social Service sector. It caters to those who want to see the real interiors of the city and avoid the static silk shopping game. We are flexible and open to working with you to create a experience you will never forget! Call, text or email... sometimes all three works the best and explore Varanasi with us!
Brisbane, Australia
“The best part of our travels in India”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Most of the time I am turned off by tourist tours, but this was definitely the highlight of my trip to India. Jai (our tour guide) conveniently met us at our hotel and took my group of 4 friends on the hidden bizar tour. He took us into places we would have never found, told us about the city in such a casual manner it honestly felt like he was just a friend showing us around a new city. He had a great sense of humour and made us feel so comfortable in the craziness and hecticness of Varanasi!

We had such a great experience on the hidden bizar tour we also did the night tour to the holy cremations along the ganges. I was actually really grateful having Jai because when you go to the sacred site where cremations take place you really don't know how far you can go or when you can and can't take pictures. You get to learn all about the rituals and history behind Hinduism which just ads to experience.

I can't recommend taking a tour with Varanasi Walks more! You learn and see so much about the city that you just wouldn't discover when you wander the city alone.

Visited January 2013
VaranasiWalks, Owner at VaranasiWalks - Day Tours, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
you all were super! lets go again! So glad it made a part of your trip memorable. jai

San Francisco, CA
“Varanasi Walking Tour - a must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I can't say enough about our experience in Varanasi which would NOT have been the same without the insight and knowledge of our guide from "Varanasi Walks." I'm sure that all of the guides are fabulous but we had the good fortune to have Nandan as our guide. We did the night boat trip with Nandan as well as two day walks with him. We saw a stunning Hindu temple where we were the ONLY people there (incredible in place a populated as Varanasi); we saw Hindu wrestlers in an outdoor practice area; we walked the narrow back alleys; and we learned about daily life in Varanasi from a truly passionate and enthusiastac guide. Nandan's ENGLISH is flawless and his knowledge of Hindu customs is incredible.

Visited December 2012
VaranasiWalks, Owner at VaranasiWalks - Day Tours, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thanks for the great comments about Nandan. He is one of our most experienced staff and you said it all. Hope Banaras remains in your heart for a long time... or at least till the next life... then walk with us again!
Washington, DC
7 attraction reviews
“Definitely book them!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We booked Varanasi Walks for both days that we were in Varanasi, and I'm so happy that we did. Nomi, our guide, took us on a morning boatride and then we explored parts of the city and several temples. The next day, he took us into the Kashi Vishvanathe Temple (amazing experience) and then we took an evening boatride for aarti. Nomi's english was great, he was always on time and very polite, and we really enjoyed his company! He tailored the walks to our interests, and was willing to be detour from the "itinerary" if something of interest caught our eye. We met his partner (Jeremy/Jai) randomly while walking around and he seemed like a great guy also; we had been emailing with him about booking the walks, and he was responsive and easy to get in touch with. Having guide made Varanasi much more manageable and a little less overwhelming!

Visited January 2013
VaranasiWalks, Manager at VaranasiWalks - Day Tours, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
I will be sure and let Nomi know about your excellent comments. Also, I am so glad that he made the experience special for you. Banaras is a strange and wonderful city filled with peril and delight. Most visitors never get into Kashi Vishwanath due to red tape or confusion... so glad you made it to the centre of the universe ; ) Come visit us again soon!
Milan
“This will change your experience of Varanasi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We came across "Varanasi Walks" by chance (on tripadvisor) and it literally made our holiday. Varanasi can be quite overwhelming and Jai took us off the beaten track to see the most amazing sights and eat the most delicious street food. Jai speaks Hindu which makes the walks more interesting and less contrived. We went on a walk every day for the three days we were in town. It was one of the most enriching experiences ever.

Visited November 2012
VaranasiWalks, Owner at VaranasiWalks - Day Tours, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Yes! It was great fun wasnt it! So glad you came and enjoyed the experiences!!!
West Yorks, UK
4 attraction reviews
“'Varanasi Walks' should be down on everyones itinerary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Having visited Sarnath on a previous trip and done a few boat rides I was hoping to do something a little different on this trip to Varanasi. 'Varanasi Walks' makes that possible.

Booking was easy via website and emails with Jai, he even let me make one or two late changes without fuss.

My guide Mayank, was a cheerful chap who weaved in and out of the streets with me stopping at various places no solo tourist would find on their own.
He was obviously a very knowledgeable person and I hope Jai will give him to me again when I come back to Varanasi next year.
It was great having chai with him in one of the side street cafes, and at the end of our journey he made sure I got back to my hotel.

My walk (Walk 4) is an unmissable tour and there are plenty others to try too - including boat rides - do check the website out.

Visited November 2012
oltmann, Manager at VaranasiWalks - Day Tours, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thanks for the kind words! Mayank is a great staff and yes Walk 4: Northern Bazaar's & Hidden Alleys is one of the walks dearest to our heart as it gets people away from other tourists and into the deep alleyways of old Banaras. Come back soon!