“Best Ayurvedic Massage Ever” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 22 Activities in Varanasi
Type: Health Clubs, Wellness & Spas
Bend, Oregon, United States
“Best Ayurvedic Massage Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I am able to sit here and write this review because Dr. Peetambar Mishra gave me two massages, one Friday and one Saturday, before he left Bend, Oregon. He was here for a very short time, staying with a student of his who is one of my neighbors. I was squeezed in, literally, after running into another neighbor who had gotten massages from him (she and her husband both had 3 massages each). I have never had an Ayurvedic massage, but have had physical therapy massages after injuring by back at work. I have had two spinal fusions, and have had continuous pain since the late 1980's. The massage took place on the floor of my home, with my husband in his recliner. The second one, the following day took place without my husband present. In no way did I get a creepy feeling from Peetambar. My board certified gastroenterologist, Kusum Stokes, was also arrogant, and I loved her. She was a great doctor, and also was proud of her skills. Maybe because I had been seen by an Indian doctor for almost twenty years, before moving to Oregon, I wasn't put off by any assertiveness i saw. This man KNOWS what he is doing, and may be one of the best. I could barely walk when I saw him on Friday, with pain radiating down my left leg. On Saturday, after my second massage, I rested in front of the fire for an hour, took a nap, and woke up cured! AMazing, for I have alway had to go to bed, with a pillow under my legs for several days to alleviate the pain. SOmeday, I hope to go to his ashram, and learn more, I am SOLD! To insinuate something isn't quite right with him is obscene. I thought his hands were strong, and he knew what muscles to work to fix me, and that is exactly what I needed to heal. Thank you Dr. Peetambar Mishra! Next time, we'll come to India, and maybe you can help my husband.

Visited May 2013

Suisse
“A relaxing and green place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I enjoyed very much my stay at the Yoga Mandir for many reasons: I had two excellent yoga lessons a day, enjoyed the ayurvedic massage and philosophical/spiritual discussions with Peetambar. The room and bathroom were spacious and clean, the food delicious and the environment very peaceful in this green garden full of flowers and with view on the Ganga. After one week, I definitely knew much more about the Hindu traditions, the ayurvedic philosophy, about yoga and about myself.

Visited January 2013
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
“Beautiful place, excellent yoga instruction”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I highly recommend both the Ashram and the yoga classes. I have been attending classes every morning for a week, and can now stand on my head! This had been eluding me for ages!
Dr. Mishra found the words and the breathing technique to make it seem like nothing at all! I am amused by the other reviews, calling Peethamber egotistical. If you have ever traveled in India, you will find that self-made Indians, are justifiably proud of their achievements. And yes, they will tell you about it. Taking offense at this just illustrates a lack of cultural awareness. Americans sadly, are often the worst about this. The Ashram itself is surely one of the most beautiful places to stay in Varanasi, especially for the reasonable price.

Visited February 2013
Napa, California
24 attraction reviews
“I wouldn't go back.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

My group landed here when we first arrived in Varanasi. We were exhausted and starving after a 26 hour long train ride and an extra long rickshaw ride due to the various festivals taking place. We ordered dinner as soon as we arrived, and sat waiting at the tables. We waited for two hours, only to be told dinner had been ready an hour and a half ago but they were waiting to be told we wanted to eat.

Though nothing untoward ever happened, the owner and his sons struck us all as a little creepy, staring at the girls longer than normal (even longer than most Indian men), and rarely getting dressed past a too-small tank top and boxer shorts. I have heard that the yoga here is excellent, but none of us were inclined to wake up early enough to take the requisite shower and walk up to the roof all before five in the morning.

The accommodations themselves were very nice, clean sheets and rooms, and warm water when the power wasn't out, no complaints there!

Visited October 2011
New Delhi, India
“Wonderful class & great view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

My husband and I joined for a morning yoga class. We called the night before and made the arrangements. The class was an hour and a half and took place on a rooftop, covered platform with an excellent view of the Ganges. Highly recommend the class. Far better instruction than a previous class we'd had at another highly reviewed yoga centre in town.

Visited April 2012