“excellent veggie food” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 132 restaurants in Varanasi
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dessert
Description: Aum cafe' is the correct spelling of the cafe'..Om cafe is the same cafe' sorry for the confusion....we are a small family run cafe',we take pleasure in providing pure, healthy and very tasty food....we make everything including breads,cakes, cookies,yogurt, granola, soup, pasta sauce and our all of our yummy chutneys..to mention a few....we use real ground coffee and serve organic teas from around the world, as well as several special Ayurveda herbal blends.....up the stairs and behind the temple on Assi ghat..see you soon ... Hours 7:00am until 3:30pm...closed Monday...May and June Closed due to summer heat..FREE HUGS (very popular)
Barcelona
“excellent veggie food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Being not used to veggie food I admit I enjoyed eating here a lot, I repeated the experience, as ambience was as good as food, the cakes are WOW

92% Recommend
  • Polish first
“Good food in Varanasty!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Excellent coffee and pizza on a small terrace roof. No real scenery or atmosphere... Bit like sitting in a cage but still enjoyed the food.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lincoln, VT
“Oasis of safe food but unpredictable hours”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed a month in Varanasi and regularly ate at the OM Cafe (this is the same as the Aum Cafe). It is run by an American woman who is very kind and clearly understands how important food safety it. The Lemon Lhassi was just outstanding, and the food was always good and healthy. However, often I went only to find it closed, as it seems the owner decides on a day to day basis when to open. If you are nearby, it is well worth it.

Visited March 2013
ShivaniAum, Manager at Aum Cafe, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
I am so sorry about the sometimes unpredictable hours...but when you run a Cafe' in a third world.....life is very unpredictable...... we cook only with purified water ....when we have many hours and sometimes days without electricity.......our water purifier being electric won't run....I will not cut my standards and serve food that I myself would not eat......sooooo we close until, we can maintain our standards.....with the whole of my heart......Shivani
Oxford, United Kingdom
“A lovely place and always busy!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The pancakes are the best pancakes ever! Oatmeal, juices, lassi, chai homemade bread also all delicious! Good value too. Its a small place, reached via cow pat alley, and it's always busy. I think maybe they should scrap the free wifi as people were hogging tables so they could use the wifi whilst others were waiting for a table. Definitely go here though; you won't find too many places like this in India.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London
“My little oasis in Varanasi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I just wish there were more places like this in Varanasi because when I had brunch there soon after arriving in Varanasi I presumed it was probably a typical western hangout, but gradually discovered that this place was the exception rather than the rule! To be honest I've never in all my travelling ever known a place so terrible for food as Varanasi - it is just one disappointment after another. I'm told that Brown Bread Bakery is good but unfortunately when I went to seek it out I ended up in the rip-off fake one instead which was horrendous!

Anyway, fortunately (as I'm in Varanasi for 2 months) Om (or Aum) cafe, is just lovely. It's run by a really friendly American lady whose staff are helpful and polite; the atmosphere is friendly and relaxed; the portions are generous (especially the enormous cinnamon buns) and you know that it is all hygienic. It's generally a little ray of sunshine on the Varanasi eating scene. I just wish the upstairs area was bigger so that you could be sure of getting a table and that it would open more hours because I'm yet to find anywhere else to go in the area when it's closed! I really hope to find more places like Om cafe but until then, and even when I do, I will keep coming back.

Visited February 2013