“Luxury” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Castle   |   Nadesar Palace Grounds, Varanasi 221002, India   |
Dublin
“Luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed in this fascinating city for three nights. The 'hotel' is outstanding; I have put it in inverted commas simply because in my view, staying here is an experience. Just check the people who have stayed here! I was none too well during my stay and the manager and staff could not have been kinder.
This former Maharaja's palace only has ten rooms and has been visited by the royalty and exalted of the world.
A truly wonderful experience

Room Tip: Try and avoid the room in the front. The Hindu temple across the road could wake you at 5am!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at Nadesar Palace Varanasi, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Greetings from the city of temples!!
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback. I am pleased to note that we met your expectations and you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us. I have shared your appreciation with my team as feedback such as yours motivate us to achieve higher levels of service. We value your patronage and look forward to welcome you back to Varanasi!

119 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

This is a small, boutique property operated by Taj Group with about ten spacious rooms. It has a beautiful grounds and the facility has a great deal of history. Queen Elizabeth and Philip stayed there as did Lord and Lady Mountbatten.
Our room was well appointed and very nice. Service was very good and the dinners were very nice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at Nadesar Palace Varanasi, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is a charming, beautifully renovated, former palace of the maharaja of the region where numerous royal guests have stayed in the past. Your arrival and departure at the hotel are unforgettable. Have your camera ready. Service is impeccable. We stayed in one of the smaller rooms at the hotel and it was quite lovely. The spa is very nice and staff there, too, attentive and accommodating. There is a small temple on the premises and the priest holds an evening service with the ringing of the gong (a much smaller scale ceremony than the one in town on the banks of the Ganges). Breakfasts are relaxed, and delicious. Dinner was fairly expensive and fine, but not outstanding. We had one dinner at the next door Gateway hotel which was more moderate in price and quite good. Our last day we had a little time before we were being picked up to go to the airport and they offered us a carriage ride around the property. Being driven in a horse drawn carriage by a 3rd generation driver for the maharaja added to the uniqueness of the experience and place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at Nadesar Palace Varanasi, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Varanasi is an undeniably wonderful experience, for the spirit, soul and senses. However at the end of the day, if you wish to get away from the crowds, smells and noise then you can't go far wrong with the Nadesar Palace....

A small palace converted into a luxury boutique hotel, this place is a lovely find. 10 rooms, very personal and professional service and lots of character and lovely decor. Location is also excellent, close to the sights (by car) but very quiet and lovely secluded gardens.

Food is good (nothing too special) and air con in our room was more noisy than we would have liked, but overall a lovely and memorable stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Gatewayvaranasi, General Manager at Nadesar Palace Varanasi, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Greetings from the city of temples!!
At the outset I would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in sharing your kind feedback. I am pleased to note that we met your expectations and you had a pleasant and comfortable stay with us. We have also noted your constructive feedback pertaining to the noise of air-conditioning and same was duly shared with the team especially with the Chief Engineer and we promise to take corrective actions at our end.
I have also shared your appreciation with my team as feedback such as yours motivate us to achieve higher levels of service. We value your patronage and look forward to welcome you back to Varanasi!
West Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights in one of the well appointed Historical Suites...we cannot say enough about this extraordinary boutique hotel. We do not know where the Taj group found the fantastic staff...good for them...as the service truly genuine.

The hotel sits on a property that would normally have a hotel with 150 rooms...sitting on such fantastic grounds gives the 10 room palace a very grand feel. We loved the carrige ride around the grounds...listening to classic Varanasi music...piping out speakers along side the entire route...WOW. Our carrige driver's grandfather and father were both carrige drivers for the maharaja...what a great story.

This property made our stay in Varanasi....Varanasi and the Nadesar Palace were the # 1 highlight of our 1 month Indian odyssey.

Room Tip: historic suite
Brigadoon, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

This is a small hotel, but highly recommended if you can get a room, since there are only ten. During our India trip, where we stayed in some amazing hotels, we became accustomed to all the little touches on arrival to make you feel a valued guest. On arrival here the ceremony was even more over the top (as was the departure ceremony) and garlands of clay beads were offered instead of the flowers. So we now have a tangible souvenir. Our room was a Palace Room, which was clean and quiet, though not particularly large. It did have an unfortunate musty smell, however. The bathroom was quite large, especially the shower. There was nowhere to sit in the room apart from at the desk, but this was not an issue as there are several pleasant places to sit in the public areas and terrace. As this is also a Taj property there were the same amenities we had become accustomed to during our stays at the Taj Mahal Palace, Lake Palace, Umaid Bhawan Palace, and Rambagh Palace hotels. But where these hotels are somewhat on the grander scale, the Nadesar Palace is a more intimate, country house experience. There was of course the same attention to excellent and friendly service as we experienced in the other Taj properties. We were there two nights and had all meals there, so had ample opportunity to test the food options. Everything was very nice, although not the best of what we had during our tour. Of course, as everywhere, the alcohol was over-priced. Dining on the terrace at breakfast time and in the evening by candlelight was very atmospheric. We did not know what to expect of Varanasi itself, but in the event it was one of the most memorable places we have ever visited (and we both are way over the hundred mark for countries visited.). Varanasi is a riotous explosion, an assault on your senses. Which is why a serene haven such as Nadesar Palace is such an excellent choice. Since it is already an expensive option to stay in a Palace Room, perhaps consider upgrading to a suite as the Palace Room we had was on the small side. Also, there are of course no lifts to the second floor, so if climbing stairs is a problem then request a room on the ground floor.
A final nice touch is that a member of the hotel staff takes a few pictures of you during your stay there and later emails them to you - so in addition to the clay beads you will have another souvenir of your stay.

Lusaka, Zambia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

During our visit to Varanasi my wife and I wanted to stay somewhere special...and we definitely found it. The traditional greeting is something to enjoy and should be appreciated, it allows the staff to welcome you to their hotel. This greeting was the start to a very special mini-vacation. The city of Varanasi is full of dramatic scenes, friendly crowds and interesting spectacles, so having the Nadesar to come "home" to was perfect. With only 10 rooms, each and every guest gets treated like a member of a small family by the staff, who are all professional, friendly and gracious hosts. I have several food allergies and only needed to make mention of them one time, and they remembered for the remainder of our stay. The gardens are beautiful and was a perfect setting to enjoy all of our meals near. The rooms are very large and in keeping with Taj tradition, were minimally changed in order to upgrade from a centuries old Maharajas' residence to a true five-star hotel. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our spa treatments at Jiva. The coconut scrub is truly calming and leaves you feeling relaxed and ready to spend another day walking along the Ghats. I would highly recommend the Nadesar to anyone visiting Varanasi, especially those looking for top shelf treatment and a great place to relax.

DID: +91 542 6660011

Been to Nadesar Palace Varanasi? Share your experiences!