“Average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Taj Home Stay

Save Saved
You added Taj Home Stay to your Saves list
Taj Home Stay
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   26/3, Old Idgah Colony | Near Idgha Bus Stand, Agra 282001, India   |
Ranked #33 of 145 Agra B&B and Inns
san francisco, ca
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

1) Economical price for basic stay
2) Staff was
helpful to find us last minute taxi to Jaipur
3) Free rickshaw pick up from Agra train station

NEGATIVES
4) Wifi did not work at all after repeated requests to staff. Don't rely on it
5) There was problem transferring outside calls to our room
6) We witnessed travelers' discomfort due to strong incense burning right next to dining table. To be fair, India's accommodation sector still has a long way to go in terms of adapting to western standards.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

175 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Other than the Taj Mahal and Red Fort there isnt much to do in Agra. My partner and i stayed at the Taj homestay for two nights and was perfect.

Its not too far from the agra cantt or agra fort train station and doesnt cost much in a tuc tuc.

The room was clean and spacious and the bathroom was more than suitable (clean, hot water, towels). They provide a selection of food which you can eat in the room or in the communal area. Breakfast was also good - tea, toast, omelete.

The staff are very helpful. They organised a driver for us for the day and arranged our transport to the train station. We got engaged whilst we were there and although they didnt sell wine - they went out and bought us some in! (very expensive though - but obviously worth it that night).

The hotel has internet facilities which was great and cheap.

Regarding the location - it may not be near the main attractions, but you can travel around fine via tuc tuc for not much at all.

Overall a good place to stay if you are travelling through to see the Taj.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

I made a reservation through Agoda to extend a tour of Rajasthan that ended in Agra at the Taj Homestay. I booked two more nights and the hotel agreed for us to stay another night then move to a different hotel. ("no further expense needed - to a very nice hotel")

Then reception asked me to pay up front 2,200 INR (an inflated price for the standard of the damp Taj Homestay room) I showed them the Agoda voucher (showing 1,420 INR room charge) but they said they had had no contact from Agoda, no reservation from them and that I must pay 2,200 INR.

Both the manager Mr Sati and another who had checked me in became quite unpleasant (one on the telephone) shouting at me and demanding payment. They said I needed to call Agoda ( in Thailand) on my mobile and not use the hotel phone, which I didn't want to do.

We settled on paying 1,600 INR for one night and checked out without the second nights stay, but also my debit card was charged for both nights and I'm i the process of trying to get a refund through Agoda.

Ok. this issue aside, the hotel is damp and cold ( in January) and in a poor location the wrong side of the city. The payment issue is my concern but I want to let others know that if things go wrong with your stay, then you are unlikely to get the appropriate assistance you would hope from hotel staff.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Doha
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

This BB is located in an housing area (colony) isolated from Agra town, and took us over an hour to find it. Room was basic and freezing in winter without heating. They claim that Agra has problems with electricity and thus cannot provide heaters.
The only option for food was their home cooked meals at premium prices.
Wifi is not always available and exercise caution when using their PC on the ground floor as it will be reflected in the bill when checking out. No prior notice of the rates is given. Connection on this PC is poor with constant reminders that the Windows OS cannot be verified.
They do not take credit cards.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

I booked this home stay via -----------, received my confirmation & paid my deposit- all good. Unfortunately our flight from Dharamsala was delayed due to bad weather which meant we missed our connecting train. When I got to Mumbai Airport I emailed Taj Homestay to let them know what had happened and to advise that we'd be there later than planned.

When we finally arrived it was after midnight, the guy denied having any knowledge of our booking, or receiving my email and said that it was the agents fault, not his.

We were stranded at 12.30 am in Agra with absolutely no idea where to go next. Fortunately we had a great auto driver ( they're not all scammers!) who took us around to a few different places.

It was a horrible experience, I'd booked based on good reviews but do remember one review saying " be careful about bookings" so I would give the same advice

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

me and my family is very happy in this hotel very clean and food also very good... room is very big and good.
if i go next time in agra i stay same hotel....... and roftop resturnt is good
mr sethi is very friendly owner

Room Tip: balcony room is good
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

Taj Homestay is located off a busy street down a more peaceful residential road. The building is a beautifully well kept mansion with spacious rooms and tasteful decor. Our room had a large bed with fresh linens, a sizable sitting area, a refrigerator, and a wardrobe. Our two criticisms about the room: the outdated, run down bathroom was a contrast to the impeccable bedroom, and the window in our room looked into a hallway (so we had no view of the outside).  Breakfast was served at a small table in the lobby, and included toast, coffee and eggs.  Wifi coverage was (sometimes) available in the lobby, but the staff did not alway want to turn it on. We only stayed one night, but this was one of our more comfortable stays during our three weeks in India.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Taj Home Stay? Share your experiences!