“Faultless location and staff, spartan rooms” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Sidhartha
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Western Gate, Agra 282001, India   |
Ranked #21 of 111 Hotels in Agra
Krakow, Poland
“Faultless location and staff, spartan rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

For location Hotel Sidhartha is premium located about a minute from the western gate of the Taj Mahal. The staff are friendly and engaging, the in restaurant has a diverse menu and is highly recommended. The rooms themselves are clean but incredibly basic, don't expect too much from them, however if it's only for a night or two they are acceptable.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012 via mobile

While the location was great, we were extremely disappointed by the hotel. I made reservations online and paid 600rs per night for two nights, which is higher than what others seem to have paid. definitely do not stay in room 104.

I didnt opt for an A/C room because the weather didnt warrant it, but the windows to our room didn't shut properly, and the bathroom didn't have a glass window (just a piece of plywood with holes cut in it), so our room was full of mosquitos, and was extremely noisy, as it faced the street. All night we were kept up by music, the sound of the mosque, people on the street, and barking dogs (thats WITH earplugs). There was also no hot water in the shower, so the hotel brought buckets of hot water to our room. This wouldn't have been too big a deal at a cheaper place, but I wish I'd known when I made my reservation.

I guess the room was reasonably clean, and the mattress was comfortable. We didn't eat at the restaurant.

Having never been to Agra before, we thought it would be nice to be do close to the Taj so we could get up early and see it. Pretty much all of the hotels in the area are only a few minutes' walk away. Stay somewhere else. We ate at Lucky Guest House, and the manager told us he had a large AC room with wifi, a big TV, and hot shower for 600rs. Wish I'd shopped around.

NSW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012 via mobile

Good value for money. We stayed two nights. Excellent hot water in the AC room. Blankets on the bed needed a good clean. Floor was dusty.
We didn't try the food as we ate out at various places.
The owner/manager is a fun friendly & caring man, who speaks very good English.
Don't use the Internet next door, they quoted a crazy price. Much cheaper places around the corner, & there is free wifi at some restaurants too!

Gurgaon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

I was in due to be in Agra this last weekend ( 25-26th Feb 2012)and was looking for a budget hotel.Booked this hotel after reading reviews on Tripadvisor, what looked promising was its proximity to Taj Mahal's western gate, and its decent rooms at reasonable prices. I got exactly what i expected when i got there, I had booked a non-AC room as it is still relatively cool during this part of the year. I think anyone looking for a budget hotel should not definitely look at Hotel Sidhartha as one of the options.

Room Tip: 1.Dont be too excited about the roof top restaurants, monkeys will always keep u away from eating th...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Agra, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

We looked at 4 rooms the non A/C rooms are not clean and smell bad !! the A/C room had less smell. The bathroom is very old as in a rusted stick to turn on shower. not real bedding sheet on mattress and thin dirty blanket. We didn't stay as although we had ID and the credit card used to book, as per the terms, they demanded our passports and visa which we didnt take for security reasons. The hotel we stayed at insted didn't ask for passport.

Room Tip: get a/c room even if you don't want the a/c as they don't smell as bad.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Richmond Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

Just like the title says, cheap, clean and a great location, couldn't fault it.
Except, we we're there late Jan...was freezing...ask for extra sheets, as it's cheap some places charge for these things, well worth it, we weren't prepared

Defo use the place, worth it!

Room Tip: Doubt you'll get a bad one
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012 via mobile

I stayed two nights at Sidhartha, when I arrived at the Agra train station and asked a rickshaw driver if they knew it, they all did, and I quizzed them to be sure! Sure enough, it is a well known hotel, you won't have any problem finding it.

The location is exactly where you want to be in Agra, it is less than a 2 minute walk to both the ticket office and the entrance to the Taj Mahal. Extremely convenient.

I had a few meals in the Garden Restauant, no complaints and I didn't get sick, so that's good.

The staff are very nice they can give you information about things to do in Agra and how to get around.

Minor complaints: my windows, while locked, had gaps in them. Meaning mosquitos could get inside. I had the basic rooms there without AC and the rooms are close to each other so you will hear your neighbors in the hall. I would say if you had the extra cash, go for the AC rooms, as they looked nicer.

Same day laundry service was really efficient and reasonably priced.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012

Been to Hotel Sidhartha? Share your experiences!