“Best of a bad lot” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #81 of 111 Hotels in Agra
Perth
“Best of a bad lot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

My partner and I stayed at Hotel Ashnish Palace in September 2007 and intend to return in April 2008 with 5 friends. I was looking on the internet for contact details for the hotel and came across these reveiws. My partner and I probably looked at 20 hotels before choosing this hotel, most looked flee ridden and had dirty bathrooms. We found the reveiws in the LP fairly out of date for most hotels. Like one of the other reviewers noted, Agra is expensive in Indian terms for even the most budget accomodation. We however did not lose sight of the fact that we were only paying $40 per night for two people - cheap by Western Standards. With food also an issue in Agra it was good to have a pizza hut (clean to Western Standards) within walking distance and a good coffee house. We found the staff to be extremely helpful and friendly.................Overall I suppose it shows that travel is such a personal experience. ;0) We did used the big lounge area on one of the floors and rested for the day and had a beer. OK.... Hotel/Palace is probably pushing it and it is probably more a motel style accomodation but "for us" overall a good stay. Personally I might pack the spray & wipe for my next trip to India as most places could have done with a clean however it just kinda adds to the "Indian Experience."

Stayed September 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Dubai, UAE
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2008

The experience of a person who wrote the review is exactly like ours. We checked out in our hour after our arrival there.
The room was dirty, I found hairs and fresh stains on the linens, the bathroom towels were dark grey color, they used to be white one day. When we told reception that the room was dirty their reaction was so normal, as it was a usual case there. The other room they gave us was the same. We left the hotel straightly and went to Man Singh, which was like a paradize after that dirty hole.
Try to find something else in Agra, really, the hotel is terrible and not new at all and very dirty.

• 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2007

We travelled in the north of India for a month and had rooms ranging from 450rps to 2500 rps a night - this was 1200rps and classed as 'mid range' in the LP - the review said something like 'new and clean' in a book from 2006. It was neither.
The check in staff were inefficient and dismissive - we were told on the phone that the room would be 1000, but it was actually 1200. When we got to the room (with the porters we said we didn't want and who hung around for a good 5 minutes waiting for cash we did not give them) we had been given a family room with a double and a sofa bed. The sheets looked clean after a fashion but smelled used, the pillows were dirty as were the towels. The shower/bath hadn't been cleaned, there were used soap bars and hairs all over the place. The restaurant looked shabby too, though we didn't use it.
The porter returned with a bottle of water 5 minutes after he left. We took it, said thanks and closed the door. 5 minutes later he was back asking for 50 rps! For a bottle that would cost at worst 15rps. We gave the unopened bottle back.
There was a fridge in the room which was empty bar some half drained bottles of water - definitely hadn't been cleaned in a long time. The rooms are set around the stairwell and the whole place is marble so it's loud and chilly - the staff were shouting between floors and across hallways most of the night and the other guests were noisy too.
We stayed one night instead of two as planned - I don't usually pan places but I really thought this place was awful. We moved to the 600rps a night Sheela Inn whih was great, much cleaner, really helpful and friendly staff, great rooftop basic restaurant with Taj View - basic (no towels) but much better. I think another reviewer had it right - either go top end, or just accept clean and basic budget - the in between is a poor alternative.
Don't go to the Ashish - it's pants.

• Liked — The review in LP
  • Disliked — The reality
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Oxford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2007

I stayed at this place for one night, and it was terrible. Firstly, the bed sheets had not been replaced when we arrived and where full of stains and even pubic hair. I couldn't believe it. Fortunately, the sheets got changed when we complained. There were further problems, however. The bathroom wasn't clean, the sink wasn't cleaned properly, the shower head fell of when I touched it (there was only very little hot water), there were no towels and the one's we got when I asked for them left me covered with fluff after usage (presumably poor quality and new/unwashed) the room had windows which were blinded with paint, so the room had no daylight, there was only very little toilet paper, so we had to ask for more, and it was incredibly loud with a landline ringing outside our room all night long and voices in the common room which is just in the center of the building outside the guest rooms. No sleep without earplugs.

Don't bother about this hotel, if you have the cash to avoid it. If you don't have the cash, don't travel! :-)

• 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cape Town, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

Here's the thing about Agra. You have to spend money on accommodation, because every inexpensive hotel pretty much sucks.

Don't make the mistake I did and choose a "midrange" hotel from Lonely Planet. Midrange in Agra equates to bottom of the range everywhere else.

A quick aside on Agra. Many people will advise you to make Agra a day-trip from Delhi rather than staying over. I disagree. To see the Taj Mahal (especially at sunrise or sunset) and the Red Fort and Fatepuhr Sikri you need to stay over for at least one night. The road trip alone to get there (if you hire a car and driver in Delhi) takes around 5 hours, so sleeping in Agra is essential.

In the car on the way to Agra I consulted my trusty Lonely Planet and booked a room at the Ashish so-called Palace Hotel.

What a complete dive. If you arrive in your hotel room to find that the toilet has been sealed with tape to assure you that it's been cleaned - Sure Sign Of A Skanky Hotel.

When you open the wardrobe to find food (yes!) that a previous occupant left there, you know for sure it's not cleaned very thoroughly.

Okay those, and cold water only in the shower, were the worst things.

On the plus side? Fairly central location. Friendly staff. A free place to stay for your driver so he doesn't have to sleep in your car.

Also, there is a central lounge area upstairs that was unused when I was there but looks like it could be fun for the backpacker crowd in season. But then, the Hotel Ashish "Palace" charges more than backpacker rates.

Overall, a cleanish hotel but I wouldn't stay there again.

• Liked — Quite close by rickshaw to the Taj Mahal, free place to sleep for my driver
  • Disliked — A sense of dirtiness, total lack of any redeeming stylishness, cold water
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
boston usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2007

The hotel was fine. It was really basic. All about it was the room. It was pretty big and clean enough. Nothing really special to report here. Staff were pretty much oblivious to you. Again, check on what room you are to take. Book nothing blindly. They gave me a discount in the door so that was good. Food was basic and there was no internet or std phone. It's okay- a place to lay your head where you'll encounter no trouble. I had a good night there because there was a wedding downstairs and that looked great.

As I said, good basic but not many extras.

• Liked — Fairly new
  • Disliked — No extras
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2007

I booked 2 nights directly with the hotel by fax + email. Communication was efficient and there was no problem explaning that I wanted a non-smoking room with double bed. That's exactly what I got. I arrived into Agra by train earlier than I expected (my fault as I confused the arrival times on my train ticket) so the pick-up that I arranged from the hotel was not waiting for me there. So I grabbed a taxi from the Taxi Booth (which was a bit stressful but mainly due to the fact that it was my first train journey in India and I wasn't sure how it all worked). The Front Desk was very sympathetic about me confusing the arrival time and having had to get my own transportation but since it was my own fault, I had no problem with it. Still, it was nice of them to show me so much empathy.

I had to wait for an hour to have my room ready which, again, I didn't mind as I was checking in at 10 am instead of 12 noon. There was a big Indian wedding party staying at the hotel the night before so it was very hectic and the staff was very busy. My room was on 4th Floor next to the lifts. At first, I did not like the proximity to the lifts but then I figured that's not a bad thing as I was travelling on my own. The room itself was spacious, clean and had all basic necessities.

I read the previous review which said that the room was not clean enough. Well, guys, it's India and unless you are staying at the 5-star hotel, you kind of have to bend your expectations a little. So my room was not dirty, the floors were freshly mopped, the toilet was a bit old but clean, and the shower room was fine. All in all, it is a good basic hotel with good rates.

I had the room service both mornings of my stay and the tea masala arrived quickly, tasted great and there was no problem whatsoever.

I would stay there again: the location is great, rooms are fine, I don't care about the "service" for as long as I don't have to wait around for too long and people smile.

Stayed November 2006

Been to Hotel Ashish Palace? Share your experiences!