“Great location - shame about the rest of it !” 3 of 5 stars

Mayur Tourist Complex
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Fatehabad Road, Agra 282001, India   |
Ranked #75 of 111 Hotels in Agra
Galle, Sri Lanka
“Great location - shame about the rest of it !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

You might say we asked for it as this was our third stay at the Mayur over a period of 5 years, each time when escorting family members or friends to see the Taj / Fatepur Sikri. The first time it was really nice getting out of the heat, dust and generally frenzied atmosphere of Agra. The Mayur is in a quiet park-like setting with bougainvillea-covered 2 bedroom cottages scattered around under mature trees, including frangipanis and other fragrant vines and bushes. We had one of the cottages, and with a bit of stuffing around re-starting the AC from time to time (totally standard in India with its constant electricity fluctuations and outages), we were quite comfortable. The hot water was also dodgy, but that didn't matter in 40 degree heat.
The next time, a couple of years later, we found the place had deteriorated further. Both rooms had problems with the AC, and we had a hard time getting anyone to do anything about it. However, the rates were low, and the setting was still lovely, especially in contrast to the rest of Agra.
This last visit a week ago was the last straw for me. But here's the full story - stay at your own risk.
I booked through Hotel Pushpak system, having had no luck getting anyone on the phone at the Mayur itself.
The first problem I had was the system displaying my booking for the Hotel Pushpak itself, in Bubaneshwar, but when I called them to enquire about this I was assured that the starting-point screen was the important one, and my selection there would be confirmed by email within half an hour. The staff member also confirmed I would be able to get a late checkout at 6pm on the second day.
With a few days up my sleeve to sort out any problems, I went ahead, and booked "2 deluxe AC doubles" at the stated rate of 1700 rupees per night each, with a 10% discount for booking online. Total = 3060 rupees, duly deducted from my credit card.
The first confirmation email again listed the booking at the Hotel Pushpak, but sure enough, shortly afterwards a second email got it right. But, the rate was described as 4400 rupees, and my payment as "deposit" only.
I called the Hotel Pushpak again and after arguing with several staff finally spoke to the manager there who told me there were "technical difficulties" with the site (which I had already seen for myself) but that he would try and negotiate a discount for me!
I replied that I was not asking for any favours or any discount, but only for them to honour the contract that was created by their online offer and my acceptance and payment. I warned that if they made any further deduction on the card it would be declined, and in my opinion they were on shaky legal ground charging more than the site stated without any warning. I also said if they did charge the higher rate I would make a point of telling other travellers through Tripadvisor.com and other websites. He then said that this "technical problem" could be rectified by us coming to the Hotel Pushpak itself, where the rate was 1700 rupees as stated, and as I had paid!!! (Yeah, see the Taj Mahal, via Bubaneshwar!)
Arriving at Agra we found the hotel itself has continued its slide into dilapidation. This time both rooms had problems with the AC either not working at all or only running its fan, not the cooling. In our room it was not fixed until an hour before we checked out. As the temperature during our stay was a record 47 (!) degrees on the first day and 44 on the second, I think this was a serious failure of service.
The numerous complaints we made about it were more difficult to deliver because the phone wasn't working either - and did not work at any time during our stay, despite our requests for repair, and their claims that repair had been made while we were out at the Taj and Fatepur Sikri.
Staff moved at all times at a snail's pace, and while the heat was stupendous, twenty minutes to bring a bottle of beer across the lawn is really stretching it.
The 2 rooms were comfortable enough otherwise, though sparse furnishing did not include a fridge. One TV was antique enough not to have video inputs.
As other travellers stated, the restaurant is always empty - I have never seen another customer there on any of our 3 visits - and for good reason. The food ranges from just average - simple stuff like toast and eggs - to terrible - also simple stuff like sweetcorn soup which was salty enough to be used as an emetic.
Also, as seems common, the swimming pool was not in usable condition, explained as "water restrictions". (On all 3 of our visits it has been either empty or not useable, with varying reasons given.)
I found that the Pushpak booking system had not made arrangement for late checkout (tho' that wasn't a problem as we seemed to be the only guests for most of the time), and that although the additional amount had not been charged to the card, the hotel did expect to be paid another 1400 rupees.
I did not waste valuable energy arguing over approx $10 each, but I did tell them I thought that they would have trouble with their credit card facility if they made a practice of bumping up the rates after making a booking, and that I would be warning other travellers online.
Ok, consider yourselves warned !

Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Parramatta, Australia
1,347 helpful votes 1,347 helpful votes
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

The Lonely Planet’s review is pretty much spot on, there isn’t any reason why this place should get a mention for anything great. It’s like watching your 60 year old uncle hit on your girlfriend…painfully embarrassing.

The hotel is not well located & not really within an easy walking distance to the Taj Mahal south gate. There are few places to eat for foreigners close-by but the relative cheapness of the hotel as well as the bungalow-style rooms was supposed to make up for any lack in expectation. Did anyone mention the swimming pool filled with green sludge? The grass seemed more like cultivated weed than any proper lawn. The hotel workers/kitchen staff also expected tips for every time they lifted their fingers including changing the dirty plates & cutlery. They would hold out their hands & growl when nothing was forthcoming, terrible behaviour.

The Room: The 2 rooms we got were damp & mouldy in corners. We paid for a room with hot water so the girls could have a bath but it never worked. After 2 days of complaining I refused to continue paying for hot water when I hadn’t had any hot water at all. It took an hour arguing with the reception manager before he would agree to have a look at it & it turned out the hot water heater was broken. It was amazing that it also affected 3 other rooms but they didn’t make any effort to tell the other patrons so I did them the favour myself. The room was furnished with a mix of tables & chairs from the 1970’s & 80’s, periods in history well known for their style.

The Restaurant: This place was perpetually empty even on a Saturday night. It is one of the few places in all of Agra with a separate bar but the laundry dudes who doubled as bar staff seem more confused about drinks & the menu than I did. The white table cloths are off white & one cook in particular wore overalls that resembled a motor mechanic’s…this is the absolute truth! His overall’s were visibly stained & remained unwashed for the 3 nights we stayed there. There were orders mixed & after paying for a meal I was short changed by $80 rupees & had to ask the hotel manager for my money after the waiter had conveniently disappeared. I witnessed the other 2 kitchen hands climbing thru windows rather than using the front door while trying to eat which seemed surreal to me.

Overall, this place is shockingly bad & deserves to be mentioned as one of the most dysfunctional places to stay in Agra. I can think back & laugh now but that’s because I’ve just had a few beers & not steaming at the ears.

• Liked — It was better than sleeping on the streets
  • Disliked — That it cost more than sleeping on the streets.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
cordenons,italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

It was a good place to stay x me,i was alone,very safety,out of noise and pollution.Very relax in the garden and nice swimming pool.
Good Staff,good room service and very pleasent Receptionists.
Very cheap price x night.If I'll go to Agra again,i'll be in Turist complex again!
PAOLA italy

• Liked — clean bathroom,very spacefull room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bristol
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2008

We stayed in a non AC room, hoping for a bit of luxury by spending some extra on a room. It was a big mistake as the room was so damp it was impossible to sleep in and the bed felt like a wet sponge. The AC rooms may be ok. The hotel was also out of the main tourist areas on a busy and unpleasant road. We moved out before spending a night there as it was so bad.
There is a pool, but it was decidedly green and uninviting and the hotel cheekily charged 100 Rs for a dip which the Rough Guide failed to mention!
The only good things about the hotel were very polite staff and lush gardens.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

The grounds and facilities here are a par above most hotels we have stayed in India, it's just a shame the rooms didn't come up to the same standard. The AC was very noisy, the bathrooms not up to scratch, and the windows very dirty. That said, the staff were very helpful and the pool looked pretty good (I didn't use it).

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Amsterdam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2008

This place was stated as one of the best midrange options in the lonely planet.
Unfortunately it turned out to be the most unfriendly and dirtiest place we stayed in during our trip in India.

The staff is very unfriendly and the rooms are at least 30 years old without any form of maintanance.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2007

This was a substitute option that our travel agent made at the last minute. This hotel looks like it was built in 1950 and not been maintained or painted since. The rooms are clean, but the color and maintenance is such that they look dirty. The service staff is willing to do anything, but management has made this place a "tip trap" - every request you make is met with a request for money. When we went to check out, management held our luggage for 3 hours because they refused to honor our travel vouchers even tho there was apparently no problem with the vouchers when we checked in.
It offers meal service, but I don't suggest eating there. I saw the waiter wiping freshly washed dishes with a towel that he had used to clean a dirty table - then he set the table with those dishes. There are lots of hotels in Agra, go to any of them but this one!

Stayed February 2007

Been to Mayur Tourist Complex? Share your experiences!