“Average (maybe better than average for Indian hotels)” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Plaza Agra

You added Howard Plaza Agra to your Saves list
Howard Plaza Agra
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Fatehabad Road, Agra 282001, India (Formerly Howard Sarovar Portico)   |
Ranked #22 of 115 Hotels in Agra
Chicago, Illinois
“Average (maybe better than average for Indian hotels)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2007

The hotel is basically average. It looks like it was remodeled in the early 1990s. The view of the Taj Mahal from the roof was okay but it is not that impressive. You will still need to go see the Taj. The rooms are spacious and basically clean (it was not immaculate). The service was poor. We asked for the hotel to arrange a taxi to the train station. Not only was the taxi not complimentary but they charged us 100% more than the taxi driver from the train station charged us. The resturant buffet in the hotel served Indian food that was mediocre at best. We did not see the bar, pool or fitness center. But I believe the hotel did inlcude them. The best part was the price but I was not overly impressed with the value.

• Disliked — I felt I was ripped off by the front desk on getting a taxi to the train station.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2006

Stayed here as part of a tour arranged by Explore. Compared to the hotel we stayed at in Delhi, this was a welcome improvement. The room was reasonable clean (at the rear of the hotel) and on the third floor. The bar was closed because of local elections (an Indian peculiarity). Breakfast was good, did not eat other meals there. Others in the group reported the pool as dirty and the "Health Spa Services" as a waste of time. Generally, clean and reasonable for India with sifficient security to keep the Agra hawkers out.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Stayed October 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2006

Where to start? I guess, with the stains on the mattress that shone through the sheets. The room was dark and fairly oppressing and the stains didn't lighten it up.
The breakfast buffet was ok, (nice staff!) but what I liked less was the army of ants that enjoyed the free breakfast too. You could manage to avoid the ants but it was more difficult to avoid hair on your breakfast.
As a woman traveling on my own I also had to avoid the pool unless I wanted to be stared at by some 15-year old (guest, not staff that is!). And what irritated me most was the monkey they kept by the pool on a chain! It shocked me, I complained but no one seemed to understand why animals should be treated any better - in any case Western standards are not applied.
That's why I chose a small guesthouse in the next town, it was clean, quite neat and cost about a 10th of what my stay in Agra cost.

• Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2006

My wife and I stayed at this hotel as part of a Golden Triangle Tour booked through First Choice. I can say that our experiences here almost ruined what should have been a memorable trip. We were tired after a long and gruelling road journey and just wanted some peace and comfort. The room on first glance seemed well furnished. We then noticed the stained carpet. The bed was a 6 inch foam pad over a plywood base with stained sheets. The mini bar had been removed. The bathroom was well below what I would have accepted on any of my five previous trips to India. It was unkempt. Tiles were smeared in places with black mould. Grout was smeared around tiles that had been replaced. There was a hole where the telephone had been resited and bare wires were visible. The waste outlet in the bath had at sometime been repaired by smearing mastic around it and the bath. There was a crack around the handbasin waste which had not received its layer of sealant in order to stop it from leaking. The shower could not be switched off. When we took a bath we also had a shower. When we took a shower we had our feet washed from the bath taps. This experience stopped us from eating in the hotel that night as we were unsure of the food quality but I was very impressed with the breakfast we ate the next morning. The public rooms are well appointed and decorated. The bedrooms need however a total refurbishment as they are well past their use by date. Some have been given a face-lift. I hope that you are not given one, as we were, that has not been updated.

• Stayed April 2006
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2006

Melbourne, Australia
Howard Park Plaza Hotel, Agra (TRULY 5 STAR TREATMENT IN A 4 STAR HOTEL)
January 2006

The rooms were clean, spacious and well decorated. The beds were very comfortable and I slept like a baby.

The staff were very kind and friendly, ever willing to be of service. The buffet breakfast provided was superb. I can easily say we were spoilt rotten.

We experienced excellent service in this wonderful hotel and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I would highly recommend this hotel in Agra - you will not be disappointed.

mjsal

Been to Howard Plaza Agra? Share your experiences!