“Urgent need of Renovation!!” 3 of 5 stars

The Gateway Hotel, Agra
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Taj Ganj, Fatehabad Road, Agra 282001, India   |
Ranked #7 of 111 Hotels in Agra
Delhi
“Urgent need of Renovation!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Not fit to be a TAJ HOTELS property. Rooms have badly plastered walls, mouldy bathrooms. Only positive seems to be location. Better properties in Agra within same price range. Fast food joints like McD, KFC, Pizza Hut are nearby.

Room Tip: We stayed on 5th Floor -- Taj View rooms. Nice view, but noise from the road at night can be disturb...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
PulkesinM, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel, Agra, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Sir,

Greetings from the Gateway Hotel, Agra!

This has reference to your feedback received through Trip advisor with regards to your stay at the hotel in the month of ___.

At the outset, please accept my sincere apologies, for not meeting your expectations in terms of our product.
While it is our constant endeavour to provide our guests with exceptional standards of products and services, in this particular instance, we seem to have faltered. I hasten to add that your experience is not reflective of our usual services that we provide to our valued guests.

I would like to inform you that we have already planned a rennovation fo the upcoming year and would definitely come out with a product of your expectation

Once again, I deeply regret the inconvenience & discomforts caused to you, and hope that this incident will not diminish your otherwise favourable regard for The Gateway Hotel Agra.
Kind Regards,

Yours sincerely,

Pulkesin Mohan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

This hotel feels international, as you may expect in a large chain. The pros were faultless service by the staff, the cons were that it is pricey and a little bland.
If you take a Taj View room, be aware that the pollution levels are high, particularly in the morning so you may not be able to see it. The smog clears a bit in the afternoon, but it is still pretty heavy. Did not use the wifi as it was not included and was expensive. Bar and restaurant prices are high but the food is reliable with lots of options if not exciting.
Our room was serviced to a very high standard.
We booked a guide through the hotel, it was definitely more expensive but hassle free. The next day we visited the Taj Mahal again on our own and used the audio guides available there, and that was excellent and is what I'd recommend. We saw and learned more that way. Be aware that you need to leave some ID at the counter for the audio. There is also an app you can download.
The hotel car was ridiculously expensive, so try to arrange your own. (1500rps for 4 hours but we only made two short journeys in that time).
I was recommended this hotel by a family member but would probably look elsewhere next time for better value, though I wouldn't not stay here again.
One last point is that the road is quite noisy, so if you are a light sleeper ask for a room at the back overlooking the pool.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
PulkesinM, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel, Agra, responded to this review, December 15, 2013

Greetings from Agra
I would like to express our gratitude for your valuable feedback.

We would like to inform you that your appreciation for our services has been shared with the housekeeping team and this will motivate us to further increase our service standards in order to make your future visits more comfortable and delightful.

With regards to your feedback about the noise from outside , I would like to inform you that we have planned a rennovation for th same in the next summers . Wwith regards to the pricing of Cars I would like to inform you that the same is already being taken up with the vendor and we are trying to bring the prices down

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Luxury hotel with excellent hospitality & warmth by the staff.Good food options and good facilities & activities for children.Excellent view of the Taj Mahal.The staff goes out of the way to help for outdoor activities.

Room Tip: Taj Facing rooms are superb
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Greetings from Agra
With reference to your feedback on trip advisor we would like to express our gratitude for your valuable feedback.
We would like to inform you that your appreciation for our services has been shared with the entire hotel team and especially the activity centre staff for making your kids visit a special one. and this will motivate us to further increase our service standards in order to make your future visits more comfortable and delightful.

New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

This is an average property by the Taj. And it definitely doesn't have the Taj touch when it comes to service. It feels more like an American-style hotel with limited service. I felt the attitude of the staff permeates a transient hotel that isn't expecting repeat business. Just once in lifetime visitors to the Taj Mahal. So there is no need to roll out the Taj experience. As I stay more often than not, at Taj properties, and love them, this was a disappointment.

Room Tip: Take the Taj view rooms on a higher floor. Its lovely to wake up to the Taj
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sir

Greetings from the Gateway Hotel Agra

At the onset please accept my sincere apologies for the lapse in services
We would like to assure you that we are taking necessary corrective action in this regard to ensure that such incidence does not reoccur in future
I deeply regret the inconvenience & discomforts caused to you and hope that this incident will not diminish your otherwise favourable regard for the Gateway Hotels & Resorts.
We look forward to having you stay with us again in future. Please do get in touch with me for any further assistance.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Pleasant hotel and a good base for tourism. Room very nice, clean, food good. Internet access expensive, most other places is complementary. I would recommend the hotel BUT despite being asked they charged my credit card in GBP, not rupees as I asked. This is sharp practice at best, fraudulent at worst and spoiled an otherwise pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Taj views not really worth it.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
PulkesinM, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel, Agra, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Dear Sir

Greetings from the Gateway Hotel Agra

At the onset please accept my sincere apologies for the discrepency in charging .
I have spoken to our bank and have asked them to provide better machineswhich inform about th option for charging in different currencies

We would like to assure you that we are taking necessary corrective action in this regard to ensure that such incidence do not reoccur in future

Bracknell
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Welcoming reception given. Room large. Tea/coffee and safe in room. Our room overlooked the main street. Although some distance away, there was some noise in the room. Local celebrations or perhaps religious service till 2.30 am, starting again at 6 am. Internal sound proofing could have been better. Our room near the lift suffered from inconsiderate other guests. Staff were friendly, helpful, and attentive without overdoing it. Breakfast buffet was very sedate, good choice, with egg dishes to order. Service was slow for tea, but fast for coffee. Wi-Fi is outrageously expensive. A sour note on leaving was that my cc bill was charged in UK pounds, thus costing me around 6%. As I had been given the bill in Rupees, I expected to pay in Rupees, but the transaction to pounds was conducted without my formal approval.
Despite all this, a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Avoid a room at the front.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
PulkesinM, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel, Agra, responded to this review, December 5, 2013

Greetings from Agra
I would like to express my gratitude for your valuable feedback.

I would like to inform you that we will be redoing the double glazing of windows during the rennovation of rooms next year and will be ensuring that the windows in the room become sound proof.
I have also taken up the matter pertaining to the charging in UK Pounds with the cashier on duty and havve asked the front office manager to seek approvals for all such transactions. I once again apologise for th inconvenience caused

West Cork Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very moderate. The reception area is very grand compared to the rooms which while adequate could be modernised. We had room overlooking the pool which was quiet but we heard that those facing the road were not so quiet

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings from Agra
I would like to express my sincere gratitude for your valuable feedback.

I would like to update you that the Taj facing rooms are planned for rennovation ,during which we will also be ensuring that the double glaze windows are made sound proff

Amit Tandon

Been to The Gateway Hotel, Agra? Share your experiences!