“Convenient for the Taj Mahal” 4 of 5 stars

The Gateway Hotel, Agra
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Taj Ganj, Fatehabad Road, Agra 282001, India   |
Ranked #5 of 111 Hotels in Agra
Bracknell
“Convenient for the Taj Mahal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Welcoming reception given. Room large. Tea/coffee and safe in room. Our room overlooked the main street. Although some distance away, there was some noise in the room. Local celebrations or perhaps religious service till 2.30 am, starting again at 6 am. Internal sound proofing could have been better. Our room near the lift suffered from inconsiderate other guests. Staff were friendly, helpful, and attentive without overdoing it. Breakfast buffet was very sedate, good choice, with egg dishes to order. Service was slow for tea, but fast for coffee. Wi-Fi is outrageously expensive. A sour note on leaving was that my cc bill was charged in UK pounds, thus costing me around 6%. As I had been given the bill in Rupees, I expected to pay in Rupees, but the transaction to pounds was conducted without my formal approval.
Despite all this, a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Avoid a room at the front.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
PulkesinM, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel, Agra, responded to this review, December 5, 2013

I would like to express my gratitude for your valuable feedback.

I would like to inform you that we will be redoing the double glazing of windows during the rennovation of rooms next year and will be ensuring that the windows in the room become sound proof.
I have also taken up the matter pertaining to the charging in UK Pounds with the cashier on duty and havve asked the front office manager to seek approvals for all such transactions. I once again apologise for th inconvenience caused

Pulkesin Mohan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
West Cork Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very moderate. The reception area is very grand compared to the rooms which while adequate could be modernised. We had room overlooking the pool which was quiet but we heard that those facing the road were not so quiet

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings from Agra
I would like to express my sincere gratitude for your valuable feedback.

I would like to update you that the Taj facing rooms are planned for rennovation ,during which we will also be ensuring that the double glaze windows are made sound proff

Amit Tandon
Rice VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We didn't stay at the hotel yet wanted to rate the restaurant located here. We spent an exhausting day touring the area and were tired and hungry when we arrived for dinner. What an oasis this place is! There were 10 of us - some Indian people and some U.S. people. The wait staff was patient and kind to us and brought a wonderful choice of excellent food. There was also a buffet yet most of preferred to order from the menu. Good service, excellent food and decent prices.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

I would like to express my gratitude for your valuable feedback.

I would like to inform you that your appreciation for our services at GAD has been shared with the entire restaurant team andthey have been motivated to further increase our service standards in order to make your future visits more comfortable and delightful.

Surrey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Stayed for two nights at the Gateway Hotel. Staff great, room very comfortable and clean. Acceptable bathroom with strange glass walls and an electronic blind to roll down, couldn't work out what that was all about!
Pool was lovely, a bit cold in November but not as bad as Delhi! Plenty of sunbeds and great pool staff. Ate in the bar one night, food was fine but very few chairs for such a large space. Had the buffet the second night, it was ok but nothing special. Breakfast was fine with a wide choice of dishes.
Would come back here again

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mam,

I would like to express my gratitude for your valuable feedback.

I Have shared your appreciation for our services with the entire hotel team and this will motivate us to further increase our service standards in order to make your future visits more comfortable and delightful.

I along with the chef are also looking at options in making the dinner buffet a bit more exiciting

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

There is outstanding service given by all. When you enter, a refreshing ginger tea is given.
The room is nice, spacious, clean and modern. The bathroom is of good size and clean. The air conditioning works well. The restaurants and staff were very kind and a chef gave myself and my sister a tour around the kitchen to learn how food was made. It was great!

The pool looks appealing as well.
The range of food is large and offers western and Indian options. Again the service is absolutely exemplary. Please send the staff our compliments!

Just note there is a charge associated with the Wifi when booking! (We did not use so can't speak for how it worked.)

The location is excellent.

Overall a good hotel but made excellent by the staff.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
PulkesinM, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel, Agra, responded to this review, November 29, 2013

Greetings from Agra
I would like to thankyou for your valuable feedback and would like to inform you that your appreciation for our services has been shared with the entire hotel team and this will motivate them to further increase the service standards.

I understand your concern on wifi being charged and would like to inform you that we are working on the same to make it inclusive in near future

West Byfleet
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night as part of our tour to visit Taj Mahal. On arrival we were told our booking hadn't been confirmed and that we would need to stay at sister hotel. This was not the fault of the hotel but the company I used to make the booking. However the hotel took full responsibility and moved another couple to the sister hotel and provided me and my son with an upgrade to a suite!!! This on the basis that I was travelling with a child....that is definately great customer service !!
All the staff at the hotel were great, we were very well taken care of while waiting for reception to sort out the room. We ordered drinks and food having been on the road a few hours which was complimentary due to the inconvenience. This was very much appreciated by us considering it was no fault of hotel.
Breakfast was great - especially the dosas which we really enjoyed.
We enjoyed sometime in the pool too which was lovely.
The puppet show was good fun too for my son who also had a go at the dhol drums and puppets.
The suite we got was lovely and huge with a four poster bed and with a view of Taj Mahal!!
The hotel is only a few minutes drive away from the Taj Mahal so location is very convenient.
Would definately stay here again and thanks to all the staff and manager for making our stay great.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Greetings from Agra

I would like to express our gratitude for your valuable feedback.

I would like to apologise for the initial inconvenience as there was a situation due to a guest staying on but I hope that the staff took control of the situation to find a pleasent solution to the problem

I have personally appreciated Tribhuwan and ali and Gaurav from the front office team who had resolved the situation . Your words of appreciation will further motivate us to increase our service standards in order to make your future visits more comfortable and delightful.

Bussum, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

When visiting Agra, nothing else is more important than the Taj Mahal. It's beauty and power will always remain in one's memory. It';s for me the most beautiful building on the world. And second or third best in Agra is (after the Oberoi) the gateway Hotel. In an ugly building you will be pleased with the outstanding service and attention given by all personnel. From liftboy to waiter, from reception to room steward. And very nice restaurants, very nice swimming pool area and very nice shops (do not forget the 1/3 to be offered when bargaining). In a nutshell: are you looking for a extreme nice hotel in the area of the Taj Mahal? Then book the Gateway and ask for a room with a view on the Taj Mahal.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 4th or 5th floor with view on the Taj.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Greetings from Agra

I would like to express our gratitude for your valuable feedback.

Your appreciation for our services has been shared with the entire hotel team and this will motivate us to further increase our service standards in order to make your future visits more comfortable and delightful.

Pulkesin Mohan

Been to The Gateway Hotel, Agra? Share your experiences!