“Whatever the Brand of Taj, Equity persists!” 5 of 5 stars

The Gateway Hotel, Agra
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Taj Ganj, Fatehabad Road, Agra 282001, India   |
Ranked #6 of 111 Hotels in Agra
mumbai
“Whatever the Brand of Taj, Equity persists!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Be it a Ginger, Gateway, Vivanta or Safari property, the TAJ people have taken some kind of an oath to treat their guests as precious gems!!!

There is a surprise waiting for you at every step of your stay in a Taj! Its a whole new world, a world of luxury, pamper, royalty, class, surprises & gifts!!! I am overjoyed with my stay at the Taj Gateway, Agra & this review is a trailer of my experiences.

At first I was a little sceptical as I was staying at a Taj Gateway property for the first time & wasn't sure enough if it would meet my expectations of the Taj standard. But it turned out that this property with the efforts, training & unique attitude of the team called Taj, have stolen my heart!

Taj & other high end properties have something called as their best available rates. The key to getting these amazing rates(paying in pennies as against taking advantage of the brand power!) is to book on the Taj website, look for a property & check their best rates or offers(which they keep coming up with). Another trick is to become members & take advantage of all the pampering there is like the gift certificates, free pick ups, free upgrades & a whole bunch of lucrative offers! I booked the best available rate on the phone & stayed for 3 nights by paying peanuts for a Taj property!

On my arrival, I was served a welcome drink, greeted warmly with smiles, luggage taken care off, no waiting & escorted to the room in no time. The rest of the 3 days were like I was floating in a bubble with everything else around me well taken care off! From the concierge, the lift man, the waiter, the receptionist to the GM everyone works on a Chinese whisper code language thing. When I would move anywhere within the hotel, I was always address by my name & I guess everyone knew my back ground & so each & every staff member was equipped to handle any kind of situation I was in. Nevertheless, the service I must say is the best in the industry!

The room was quite eloquent with state of the art decor, a kingsize bed & grand bathroom with finesse & traditional opulence. I had requested for a room facing the Taj Mahal at the time of check in but nothing was available. On my second day of stay in a series of surprises bestowed upon me, I got an upgrade to the executive Taj facing room, absolutely free!!!

Lets talk about the food, which needs no introduction! I had the opportunity to try both a la carte & buffet & each time I was in for a surprise, a culinary surprise! A burst of flavours, subtle yet crisp tastes, style & oomph defines the food of Taj. I was sure in a culinary haven enjoying the best food.

I would like to mention some special people who made my stay a very comfortable & memorable one. Ms.Ekta at the desk was ever eager & warm & an epitome of the brand that Taj stands for. The GM Mr.Pulkesin, went out of his way to play a perfect host symbolising the Taj star power. I hope I could do justice to express & share in a gist the experiences that will remain as an everlasting memoir in my travel journeys. Thanks to the staff & team of Taj.

As they say, the rest is history.

Room Tip: The Taj Mahal facing executive room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
AmitTandon, Director of Sales at The Gateway Hotel, Agra, responded to this review, April 25, 2013

Greetings from Agra
With reference to your feedback on trip advisor we would like to express our gratitude for your valuable feedback.
We would like to inform you that your appreciation for our services has been shared with the entire hotel team and this will motivate us to further increase our service standards in order to make your future visits more comfortable and delightful.

Amit Tandon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This hotel was the second of our India tour, and was booked directly by ourselves. Belonging to the Taj Group of hotels, we had never experienced the Gateway brand, and we wondered what to expect as we arrived. However, we were not disappointed, and the hotel and its facilities matched our experience of all the others we have stayed at from this group. Our arrival was dealt with in exactly the same way, being made comfortable with refreshments by front of house staff while check-in was taken care of. All staff were very attentive and couldn't do enough for us during our stay, in the hotel's very luxurious surroundings. The grounds and pool at the rear are as just as breathtaking as we have come to expect from this group. Our room was spacious and impeccably clean, with a well stocked bathroom. The view from the window was, of course, nothing other than the Taj Mahal in the distance. When we made our way to breakfast, we were greeted by live sitar music in the entrance to the restaurant, which added to the atmosphere of this magical place. We would certainly like a longer stay here in the future to explore this area further.

Lisbon, Portugal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This hotel being from the Taj chain is very far from the real Taj. This one is well located for the main Agra attractions : the Taj Mahal and the Afra fort.
The hotel itself is a vulgar property with a kind of "gardens" and a pool somehow a bit decadent.
The rooms have a poor decor and the Taj Mahal view i didn't find a very attractive one.
They have 2 restaurants ,one serving international food that is quite acceptable but has a very poor service and an indian restaurant with very good food and very nice service.
Price : very moderate .
The best is really the location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings from the Gateway Hotel Agra

At the onset please accept my sincere apologies for the lapse in the service at the GAD Restaurant
We would like to assure you that we are taking necessary corrective action in this regard to ensure that such incidence does not reoccur in future
I deeply regret the inconvenience & discomforts caused to you and hope that this incident will not diminish your otherwise favourable regard for the Gateway Hotels & Resorts.
We look forward to having you stay with us again in future. Please do get in touch with me for any further assistance.
HAUZ KHAS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I visited the said Hotel after a gap of two years and was really amazed by the raised standard of service and food, this property of the Taj had really gone down in both of the above stated facts but now the food served was really good tough the lay was not that all big but the food had the aroma and was good also some improvement is needed in the lay of pastry products as most of them were stale and the variety of sweetdish need to be increased.special mention needs to be made of the SPA services offered as it was really good.

Room Tip: Taj facing Room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
new delhi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed overnight for a weekend trip...everything was in order...the service was perfect...the ambience brilliant....the view of the Taj Mahal was brilliant.....cozy property and highly recommended....rooms on higher floors give a perfect view of the Taj Mahal, the property is located close to all major attractions an important fact when traffic in a city can be the biggest deterrents...

Room Tip: Insist for higher floors for a perfect view

Mumbai (Bombay), India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

we checked in at 11:45pm. to our horror it was a twin bed room as opposed to a double bed..and to make matters worst, the hotel staff said all the rooms were booked at 12:30 in the night.(it was an offseason, middle of the week day for the hotel to be booked). horrible hospitality..inefficient staff. we had made all the payments in advance so got stuck.
the next day, they did move us into a better one, but the damage once done is done.

Room Tip: please confirm with the hotel first about ur rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings from the Gateway Hotel Agra

At the onset please accept my sincere apologies for the lapse in the checkin process.

We would like to assure you that we are taking necessary corrective action in this regard to ensure that such incidence d not reoccur in future
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Before we arrived,I noticed on the net that the price had been lowered by 6000 Rupiah.I contacted my booking agent,and they contact The Gateway,but they did not lower the price.They said that they were going to "upgrade" us to the next level room,but did not.They also mentioned that they were also considering to upgrade us to a Taj Mahal view room,yes,if we paided another 1000 Rupiah per day.That is not an upgrade,that is another booking.Sadly money once again becomes number 1,not your word or even service.But saying that,I did enjoy my stay in Agra.The junior staff are great,and we meet many interesting people.I like the pool,the gym was acceptable,and I enjoyed the steam room.Good cheap food is not to easy to find,and the hotels prices are way too high for me to part with my money.Would I stay again,probably.P.S. VERY GOOD BECAUSE OF THE STAFF/PEOPLE.

Room Tip: We were show a Taj Mahal view room,but I was totally under whelmed.Yes you can see some of the Taj,b...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
AmitTandon, Director of Sales at The Gateway Hotel, Agra, responded to this review, April 19, 2013

Greetings from the Gateway Hotel Agra
We thankyou for your valuable feedback for our hotel
We would like to inform you that sibnce we have a dynamic pricing model and the rates are different for third party site portals hence we cannot reduce the price . I hope that you will pardon us for the same
Amit Tandon

Been to The Gateway Hotel, Agra? Share your experiences!