“Good location,average service” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 111 Hotels in Agra
Lisbon, Portugal
“Good location,average service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This hotel being from the Taj chain is very far from the real Taj. This one is well located for the main Agra attractions : the Taj Mahal and the Afra fort.
The hotel itself is a vulgar property with a kind of "gardens" and a pool somehow a bit decadent.
The rooms have a poor decor and the Taj Mahal view i didn't find a very attractive one.
They have 2 restaurants ,one serving international food that is quite acceptable but has a very poor service and an indian restaurant with very good food and very nice service.
Price : very moderate .
The best is really the location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
AmitTandon, Director of Sales at The Gateway Hotel, Agra, responded to this review, April 25, 2013

Greetings from the Gateway Hotel Agra

At the onset please accept my sincere apologies for the lapse in the service at the GAD Restaurant
We would like to assure you that we are taking necessary corrective action in this regard to ensure that such incidence does not reoccur in future
I deeply regret the inconvenience & discomforts caused to you and hope that this incident will not diminish your otherwise favourable regard for the Gateway Hotels & Resorts.
We look forward to having you stay with us again in future. Please do get in touch with me for any further assistance.
Amit Tandon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
HAUZ KHAS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I visited the said Hotel after a gap of two years and was really amazed by the raised standard of service and food, this property of the Taj had really gone down in both of the above stated facts but now the food served was really good tough the lay was not that all big but the food had the aroma and was good also some improvement is needed in the lay of pastry products as most of them were stale and the variety of sweetdish need to be increased.special mention needs to be made of the SPA services offered as it was really good.

Room Tip: Taj facing Room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
new delhi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed overnight for a weekend trip...everything was in order...the service was perfect...the ambience brilliant....the view of the Taj Mahal was brilliant.....cozy property and highly recommended....rooms on higher floors give a perfect view of the Taj Mahal, the property is located close to all major attractions an important fact when traffic in a city can be the biggest deterrents...

Room Tip: Insist for higher floors for a perfect view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings from Agra
With reference to your feedback on trip advisor we would like to express our gratitude for your valuable feedback.
We would like to inform you that your appreciation for our services has been shared with the entire hotel team and this will motivate us to further increase our service standards in order to make your future visits more comfortable and delightful.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

we checked in at 11:45pm. to our horror it was a twin bed room as opposed to a double bed..and to make matters worst, the hotel staff said all the rooms were booked at 12:30 in the night.(it was an offseason, middle of the week day for the hotel to be booked). horrible hospitality..inefficient staff. we had made all the payments in advance so got stuck.
the next day, they did move us into a better one, but the damage once done is done.

Room Tip: please confirm with the hotel first about ur rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings from the Gateway Hotel Agra

At the onset please accept my sincere apologies for the lapse in the checkin process.

We would like to assure you that we are taking necessary corrective action in this regard to ensure that such incidence d not reoccur in future
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Before we arrived,I noticed on the net that the price had been lowered by 6000 Rupiah.I contacted my booking agent,and they contact The Gateway,but they did not lower the price.They said that they were going to "upgrade" us to the next level room,but did not.They also mentioned that they were also considering to upgrade us to a Taj Mahal view room,yes,if we paided another 1000 Rupiah per day.That is not an upgrade,that is another booking.Sadly money once again becomes number 1,not your word or even service.But saying that,I did enjoy my stay in Agra.The junior staff are great,and we meet many interesting people.I like the pool,the gym was acceptable,and I enjoyed the steam room.Good cheap food is not to easy to find,and the hotels prices are way too high for me to part with my money.Would I stay again,probably.P.S. VERY GOOD BECAUSE OF THE STAFF/PEOPLE.

Room Tip: We were show a Taj Mahal view room,but I was totally under whelmed.Yes you can see some of the Taj,b...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
AmitTandon, Director of Sales at The Gateway Hotel, Agra, responded to this review, April 19, 2013

Greetings from the Gateway Hotel Agra
We thankyou for your valuable feedback for our hotel
We would like to inform you that sibnce we have a dynamic pricing model and the rates are different for third party site portals hence we cannot reduce the price . I hope that you will pardon us for the same
Muscat, Oman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The rooms are nice and clean. you can have a view of taj mahal but pay double the price or more.
well furnished. Swimming pool is not really clean. Food is good with variety though it could be spicy where unexpected (This is india :) ).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I loved this hotel. The staff were extremely accommodating and the rooms were great. I was upgraded to a Taj facing room for free, which was wonderful. The food at the restaurants was some of the best food that I had during my three weeks in India. The chef provided me and my friend with a kitchen tour. The pool was clean and the cabana area was inviting.
The only criticism that I have is that the spa treatments were subpar. My friend and I booked massages that were below average and did not last as long as they should have. We were not impressed by that.
Otherwise, I loved the hotel.

Room Tip: Join the Taj Groups hotel points program to get an upgrade!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Greetings from Agra
with reference to your feedback about the SPA treatement we would like to inform you that we have taken necessary corrective action and have briefed the staff to be more careful in future

Amit Tandon

Been to The Gateway Hotel, Agra? Share your experiences!