First things First: Avoid this hotel even if this is the last option in Agra. We were part of a large group and below is the summary of the horrifying experience we went through.
1. Shower door in one of the room broke while one of the group member was trying to enter the shower area. It fell on his body hurting him. He was bleeding as some glass pieces pricked his body. We showed it to a staff member but he seemed to be the least bothered, and worried more about damage to his property! We refrained from making a police complaint (which could have sealed the hotel) and just requested for a replacement room. One of the member of our group was not happy at this attitude and was mad at one of the staff member. Staff member made a huge hue-and-cry over 'ill treatment' done to him. He called all his colleagues and went to manager with his complaint. Manager, who was no where to be seen till now even after the accident, appeared suddenly for his staff's assistance. He 'summoned' our group leader to his office. During meeting, none of the hotel staff was apologetic of the accident and the injury to their guest but were very concerned about us raising our voice!! Not wanting to spoil our party, we closed the matter.
2. Two other rooms that our group got, had water seeping in to the room from the roof. On complaining to housekeeping, were told that it can not be fixed and we will have to live with it. As a 'goodwill gesture', they put a bucket under the roof right in the middle of the room! One room did not have a shower door at all and water was spilling all over the bathroom.
3. Our request for replacement of the above 4 rooms did not meet a positive response. After multiple requests and follow ups and 5 hours, we got replacement of only two of the rooms! That did spoil some of our plans. Again, no apology...just rude, straight looks that you have to adjust with these rooms only.
4. Continuing with the housekeeping, some of the air conditioning units were not working, because their filter has not been replaced for long. TV was not working because cable bill was not paid. Shower jet in my unit was not working and it took a long time to fix it. HOUSEKEEPING here is only reactive and not at all proactive.
5. Coming to other facilities - breakfast was one of the worst I have ever had in any hotel around the world. Only few items on the menu and that too were not too tasty. Egg counter was available only on one of the 2 days that we were there. Person preparing eggs was a nice guy (I think Sunny).
6. Toiletries, linen etc were ok; towels could have been softer.
Overall not at all a pleasant experience. Only advantage is its proximity to Tajmahal but there are hundred other hotels so near to the historic place.
Hotel staff including front office need to understand that they work in a service industry at India's top most tourist destination. They need to be polite and understand their clients requirements. They can't be rude and audacious.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Tingo, HotelTravel.com, Agoda, Travelocity and Venere so you can book your The Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.