“Fabulous stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 111 Hotels in Agra
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Fabulous stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

We stayed for one night on my 50th birthday, a truly memorable place for all the right reasons. The service was excellent on our arrival and throughout our stay, and we were made to feel very welcome. The building and grounds are beautiful with quality materials and with great attention to detail. Reception, breakfast room and our suite all huge with lavish chandeliers, curtains, furniture and decor. The food was also excellent. I would have liked to stay longer!

Room Tip: Our suite overlooking the gardens on the first floor was stunning
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

The first thing you notice - security. Big gates welcome you into what can only be classed as a very good attempt at presentation and style. Once you through the bag checks you are welcomed by reception staff with garlands and a neatly placed red dot on your forehead. Definately not something we are used to upon entering a hotel. All the same it was different and made us smile. Check-in did take an age, but once things were done we were escourted through the gardens and water features to our stunning room. The beds are comfortable and the bathroom emenities are adequate. The main dining and bar areas are very good. Well staffed and gave a decent area to relax. The breakfast restaurant is large and offered a reasonable selection of food. Not brilliant, but ok - just. The hotel does represent a safe, comfortable, and calm oasis from the total caos that exudes outside the big gates. I can recommend this hotel.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

Amazing value for a really nice place to get out of the Indian "circus". The website descriptions seemed unreal when comparing to the other "resort type" Agra prices. However we found the WGA to have nice, quiet villa situated rooms and very attentive staff. The property was only half full and so very calm and relaxing.

The weather was sunny but coolish so we didn't sit by the beautiful pool area. Adjacent to the pool is a spa and exercise facility. The spa offered complimenary sauna, steamroom and jacuzzi pool. We toured these to see what was on offer but did not partake. (too short of a stay to take in all of Agra)

The included breakfast is buffet style and consisted of Asian/Indian and American choices and was accompanied by continuous coffee or tea service. We had the dinner buffet one evening. Buffets are not my thing ever but the variety was a nice change from our usual Indian meals. The salad and fruit offerings have so far not caused any of the typical digestive issues that usually accompany uncooked food in this part of the world.

Getting around Agra is a separate charge and arranged by the front desk staff. Even the drivers of the clean taxis have vendor or guide friends that "show up" along your route to try to get your money for something.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlantic City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

My husband and I only spent 1 night here but we were very happy with the hotel and the staff.Very clean rooms and the bathroom. Beautiful grounds, wish we had more time to explore further.

New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

I had gone with my family on a very short vacation to Agra from New Delhi. Hotel appears to be beautiful but there is something missing. It can become good property but I think some cost cutting has ruined what could be a great Hotel Staff was polite and efficient, though we were not being let it the main gate at night , when we returned after dinner , due to party in the hotel.
The rooms are good size but need to be upgraded if the hotel want to be in league of ITC Mughal , Trident or Jaypee. The toiletries in the hotel were very bad quality , hair shampoo spoiled my hairs and I have to rush to market to buy shampoo etc..Room was comfortable otherwise. As it was not too cold it was comfortable, Garden are beautiful and there is construction for additional rooms is going at other end of hotel
I had breakfast at the hotel, though the spread was extensive, food was just OK nothing to write anything about. My experience in other chain like Taj , Trident , Oberoi in India is much better.

Though we were satisfied with our stay but for money we paid , we expected something better. I hope things will be better next time we visit Agra.

Room Tip: It is better to stay in the rooms away from main building. It took this advise from this site and ve...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Hong Kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

Summary:
Nice stay, beautiful ground, good service, great food, but let down by poor outsourced travel service.

Location:
Not the closest to Taj Mahal, but not too far and acceptable. Shops not far away. You won't be able to see the Taj from the hotel.

The Property:
When I stepped into it, I felt the "Wow" factor. They are trying to build a palace. The garden and fountains are beautiful. The lobby is truly palatial style and restaurants look great too. It is built in Mughal style , and it works well.

The Room:
The room is clean, and big. It is trying to look India, to blend in with the architectural style in lobby and other areas. That said, it is not executed tastefully and might look cheesy to some people. To me, I have no complaint, and it looks not that bad after all. At least, it is not just another room in another five star hotel. The bathroom is not that big, relatively speaking. It would be nice if it could be a bit bigger. The shower and hot water worked well during my stay. Mirror is heated and so steam free. The room has all the modern amenities, including a cordless phone, DVD player, LCD TV, and Wi-fi is free. The password is easy to get and, indeed, it is some kind of combination of your name and another word.

All rooms are grouped into small houses surrounding the fountains and inner courtyard. My room is facing inner courtyard, and it is nice.

Beware : There was a wedding party at the lawn next to the hotel. It was a typical Indian wedding party for the riches with lound music, and songs and dances till late night. Just avoid rooms close to the lawn - the music can be really loud.

Check-in and service:
Check-in took about 5 minutes, with welcome garlands. We booked twin, but they didn't have it and we were given a double. The bed is King size, but it would be better if we had what we wanted. Perhaps we checked in too late at 9 pm?

Staff are polite. Contrary to some comments here, I found them professional and knew their job well. They are also friendly.

Before I arrived and during booking, I sent e-mails to enquire several things and replies were quick - not that usual in India as I came acrossed some places that I have never got a reply.

Restaurants:
The Indian restaurant Pakhtoon served great food. One of my best meals during this trip. Downside: it is expensive by India's standard, and not so cheap even in other major world cities.

Breakfast is served in another restaurant. It is not bad- the average breakfast in an Indian five star hotel.

Travel service:
Well, hard to tell whether it is the hotel's fault. I booked a car through the hotel for a day with transfer to Delhi IGI airport. I knew very well that I was paying extra, but I chose to do
so as I had to be sure that I could be at the airport by 1130 pm for my flight back. The price they charged was high, but not the most expensive. So I booked it hoping that it was reliable and had better service.

I was wrong. First, they came with a guide, which I didn't need. The guide was ok, but in typical Indian style, kept recommending some shops, which we refused to pay a visit. Then the driver kept chasing us to go to the airport early, and we finally arrived by a little before 8 pm. Wrong decision! We shouldn't have given in to the driver. We didn't know that once you entered the airport building, they wouldn't let you out again! And worst still, check-in counter not yet open! And Terminal 3 had no decent coffee shops or restaurants or lounges to hang out before security. So we were trapped in the airport for like 7 hours!

Verdict:
I could have rated it higher if not because of the car hiring saga. It would be four dots "very good" here. It is not that expensive, and was cheaper than the other hotels in the same category when I did my booking (such as Radisson, ITC Mughal). I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms close to the lawn that serves as venue for open-air wedding banquet.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Reading, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

First impressions are great upon reception by staff in the beautiful marble lobby and the tolling of the gong to greet your arrival, to the garland of fresh flowers placed around your neck. The good impression continues as you are walked to your room (in small blocks), through the very attractive gardens. But then you reach the room and the disappointments start.

The rooms are prettily decorated and the bed is very comfortable. It's just that the room is looking very tired and the bathroom even more so. The old plastic bath was stained and had a large crack in it. Although the rain shower (over the bath) worked very well.

There is no heating in the room and in the colder months this is needed. The room has marble floors and stone walls which means it remains cold. A heater was provided upon request but this really should be a fixture in the room. I can't believe that a supposedly 5 star hotel can not figure this out.

The rooms desperately require renovation and heating installed.

This hotel was formerly the Orient Taj and is still suffering from split personality. I do not know how long ago the Wyndham Group took over the hotel but is still has not got around to properly re-branding. Much of the sundries were still branded with the Orient Taj logo and there was no hotel service guide booklet in the room, as it would appear they haven't been produced yet. This is a simple little thing and perhaps not everyone uses them, but when you haven't been informed of breakfast times, restaurants and their opening times and general hotel facilities, spa, gym etc, it would have been useful.

Furthermore, when we decided we would stay in and snuggle up in front of the little heater with some room service, that proved very problematic. After some phone calls where I was told no menu existed, asked to order over the phone (without a menu of course), eventually a member of staff was dispatched to the room with a menu (Orient Taj naturally). I took the menu only to be followed into the room by the member of staff which was very awkward. He then asked me to read the menu so that he could take my order. After explaining that we would like to take time to look at the menu together, he still didn't get the hint. He then explained that we could not have the menu which I found rather odd. At this point, I thought the whole situation was just a little ridiculous so tried to send him away without ordering. The guy now didn't appear to want to leave the room without an order so I had to virtually usher him outside. He did surprise me by leaving the menu behind but I did get a phone call asking for our order 10 minutes later.

I can't put this episode down to rudeness or belligerence on behalf of the member of staff because my many experiences of India have taught me that people are not like that. It must come down to poor training. This was further compounded at breakfast when glasses and plates were cleared away when they were obviously not finished. Stop eating for too long and whoosh...your plate was whisked away from in front of you. Also whilst a member of our family was in the process of eating, a member of staff picked up the plate (with thumb touching food) to remove an earlier plate from underneath!

The turn-down service took place before our return from sight-seeing at 5pm. I can only imagine the reason for this is to save money to ensure you haven't had the time to use any of the amenities since the morning. When we use the tea or coffee making facilities we always ask for fresh milk as the creamer never tastes very nice. In most hotels around the World, we are provided this free of charge. Not here, they wished to charge over £3 for a small jug.

There is large scale building works taking place at the moment as a new wing is being constructed at the far end of the garden opposite the main building. This will be complete with helicopter pad that staff were very proud to inform us.

This may surprise you to hear that I do not like moaning and do try not to but I do expect good service and amenities when paying 5 star prices.

This hotel falls way down on everything and can not even get the simple little things right.

The one plus point of our stay was eating in the Pakhtoon restaurant. The food and service here were excellent, which makes me wonder why it was so bad elsewhere? In trying to be positive, this hotel could be very good. Perhaps we caught it in the middle of its transitional period although this should not be an excuse.

At the moment, I would not recommend this hotel...to anyone.

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wyndham Grand? Share your experiences!