“This wasn't terrible.. But I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Khems

and 1 more site!
You added Hotel Khems to your Saves list
Hotel Khems
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Shoreham Palace Road, | Off Ettiness, Ooty 643001, India   |
Ranked #33 of 72 Hotels in Ooty
“This wasn't terrible.. But I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

I had come from a beautiful clean and friendly hotel in another town, for which I paid exactly the same price as Hotel Khems. To be honest, I was disappointed with Khems.

The room was comfortable with decent facilities but it was very dark, damp and smelled bad even when I kept the windows open all day. The pillows smelled and I covered them with my clothes when I slept.

There was a problem with the cold water supply to my room which to be fair they did come and fix efficiently. Also the phone was broken so I couldn't use it- but it didn't stop them ringing me on it constantly! And I was woken up early on Sunday morning by a member of staff ringing and banging at the door- apparently just to hand me a newspaper. Oh and also, no wi-fi at all in this hotel.

The restaurant food I found below standard and served on dirty plates/glasses. I tried it but then decided to eat elsewhere.

On the plus side- the reception staff were helpful, the hotel has a generator for power cuts, the shower (once it worked) was amazing.

I have been travelling in India for a while and have stayed at some really wonderful places but sadly this wasn't one of them.

• Stayed April 2013
Khems, Manager at Hotel Khems, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear "Laurs35"

We thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

Thanks for the feedback on your stay with us.

We are disappointed on the fact you were not fully satisfied during your stay with us.

I've brought it to our staff notice on the problems with your stay and feedback such as yours helps us identify the problem.

Much appreciated and we look forward to rectifying all the issues at the earliest.

I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to come experience our hospitality once again and give us your feedback on the same.

Anil Lal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We had plans to spend 3 nights in Ooty. Since we were arriving late evening on the first night, we just wanted to stay at somewhere cheap and decent enough for a night stay. In that regards, this was an absolute bargain.

Location was a little difficult to find, but it is pretty close (approx. 300 m from the main ooty traffic signal). After we reached the signal, we found the hotel pretty quickly. We had planned to eat dinner in the room itself, however when we called at 9.45, we were told that orders are accepted only till 9.30 as against the food menu which showed that it was there till 10.30. Anyways, we just got some snacks from outside and slept. We ordered the breakfast also at the hotel, which was average.

Hot water comes from 7 am onwards and which was needed in the chilly mornings. They had limited parking and the hotel had to do double parking. When another guest wanted to remove the car, somebody had to get the key from me, remove my car and then park it again. But I think that is understandable in such a small town.

Overall, if I am looking to stay in Ooty and not spend a lot, I would again go there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Khems, Manager at Hotel Khems, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear "Amardeep D"

We thank you for your review on Tripadvisor & helping other customers choose our property.

Chennai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

very good hospitality,
tour plan assistance by the hotel manager.
food is really good at a reasonable price( people should not think to take food outside to save money)

only one thing i am worry : hot water supply is not there in the evening.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Dear "Debashish M"

Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We family of five stayed in khems in the month of february. Hotel is well maintained with great service. We booked for two budget rooms [through cleartrip.com], but was upgraded to two superior rooms, with **NO** extra charges, may be because it was off season still it should be appreciated. The rooms were clean and nice. Hot water timings are 7.30 to 10.30 and it was available at the given time.
Prompt room service, breakfast, tea dinner all were availble withing 20 minutes. Only thing we can complain of is the availability of tv channles, not much of channles were available and mostly they are south indian channels.
Overall it was nice staying there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear "Suraj_Sunny"

Chennai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Hi,

Me and my spouse spend excellent 2 nights in Khems, we get the room in the first floor with window the room was cleaned some stains in window glass more over good and their service was good. If we compare foods outside with Khems prices are same but quality was no.1 in here.Chapathi and chicken pepper masala was good.

Thanks
Shanmuga ganesh.S

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear "shanmugaGanesh"

Udaipur, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have been at the Khems with my friends. it is in budget and clean place to stay. nice location and most above helpful staff. i really enjoyed my stay in khems. I had my friend recommend me about the hotel. i will definitely recommend this hotel to all my friends.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Khems, Manager at Hotel Khems, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear "Hitpal"

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The hotel looks gr8 from outside with its aesthetic architecture that distinguishes it from others. But don't be fooled by its looks. The hotel is exactly the opposite from the inside. We were 4 and booked 2 budget rooms of 990/- each. First of all they didn't give any receipt or bill for this booking. After entering the rooms we found that the cot is sagging in the center. After having a look beneath it we found that the cot is broken (Room# 204).

Out of 6 or 8 lights, 5 lights were not functioning in either of the rooms. Mattress and blankets smell like rat's waste. TV is of 1990s model and only one button in the remote works that is the channel-up button.

In such chilling degrees where other hotels have hot water facility 24x7 Khems has it available only 7AM - 10AM. So if you have to use the washroom at night then be prepared to get your hands, face and everything else freezed (you know what I mean) with the icy-cold water.

There is only one member of the restaurant. He himself is the waiter, cook, cleaner. Food is pathetic and takes 30min - 45min to get served on your table.

On the same street you will find hotels far better in quality and service in as much as 600/- per day.

Also the driver of the cab that we booked taunted us as to why did we book that hotel when there are so many better hotels in Ooty.

So I advise you not to even think of staying in this hotel ever.
This is a collective review of all the four members of my family.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Khems, Manager at Hotel Khems, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear "Abhijeet D"

We thank you for your review on Tripadvisor & giving feedback on our property.

We are extremely disappointed you were not satisfied during your stay with us.

I have checked on your reservation and we had put you up on 203 & 204 and then changed you to 212

Following is the observations :

1. After it was brought to our notice the bed is faulty we had immediately arranged for your room to be changed, unfortunately all adjoining rooms were all occupied.

2. I am not sure as to what you meant by no lights were working as you had not put on the key tag which controls the lighting and once you mentioned the same we had sent a boy over to show you how it works.

3. I am again concerned with your over the top exaggeration of all hotel providing 24 x 7 hot water in Ooty. This very detracting as no hotel in this same price range i.e, 900 + taxes would offer you 24 hours hot water in Ooty due to the severe Power & Water Crisis gripping the city as well as it not being affordable at this price range. I am sure your suggestion of Rs.600/ is over the top and non existent. Also you extended your stay a day , If you were not satisfied I am not sure as to why you extended if you had such adverse feelings.

4. You demanded room heaters to be provided free, which we cannot offer the same as like already mentioned it will not be feasible.

5. Restaurant - We have 4 highly trained service personnel working as waiters in our restaurant, and you claiming only one works is ridiculous. On the night of 2nd Feb you had ordered your food and said you will be back in some time, food was ready and served within 5 to 10 minutes of you being seated and your claims of it being 30 to 45 minutes is false.

6. I can guarantee at our price range you will not find better accommodation. For the benefit of readers, comparisons can be done on any travel portal available.

7. Your Booking was done thru makemytrip , and the procedure is : You pay makemytrip for the booking, makemytrip pays us , so we have to produce the bill to makemytrip and in turn your booking receipt is produced by them and not us. This is how it is usually followed.

Once again I hope this answers all your queries.

Anil Lal

Been to Hotel Khems? Share your experiences!