“Awesome Ooty” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Khems

You added Hotel Khems to your Saves list
Hotel Khems
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Shoreham Palace Road, | Off Ettiness, Ooty 643001, India   |
Ranked #32 of 71 Hotels in Ooty
Bangalore
“Awesome Ooty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Booked the hotel online after finding good reviews on trip advisor and must say that the hotel deserves all the good ratings.

We were three (me, my wife and son) and had driven down from Bangalore. We reached around 3 PM and were pleased to find the hotel a little away from the city of Ooty at a quiet and a calm place. The hotel's entry is impressive and there is ample parking available. The staff was quite welcoming and the check-in was a breeze. We were escorted to the room, which is very spacious and well done up. The rooms are comfortable and offered a good view.

We had breakfast and dinner for two days at the hotel and food is also good. I would rate it better than average. Since the first day occupancy was low, so in breakfast on first day and dinner on both the days, there was a fixed menu, which had enough variety. Portions are good and overall had satisfying meals.

The only areas I could think the hotel needs improvement is in the signal quality of cable TV and more channels for people coming from other parts of India other than south. They need to provide door bells for the rooms and also look at improving signal for airtel. In the rooms, there is hardly any signal for airtel. Vodafone , idea and aircel seem to work fine.

The hotel is slightly expensive, but worth the money.

Stayed January 2013, travelled with family

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

Khems, Manager at Hotel Khems, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear "Llissa L"

We thank you for your review on Tripadvisor & helping other customers choose our property.

We Hope you have taken fond memories of Ooty with you.

Anil Lal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Bangalore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

One of those instances where i chose the hotel based on ratings I saw at Trip Advisor (TA) and the hotel turned out to be far far different from what I anticipated. Frankly, my family felt that this was the worst hotel they had ever stayed in.

When I booked this, the hotel was rated amongst the top 10 as per TA, When we saw it, we wondered if it was among the top 10 or bottom 10! The hotel, while in the center of the city, was in a very narrow road and rather difficult to access. While the hotel claims there is sufficient parking for cars, that is a joke! Less than 3 cars can park in their premises - rest are to park on the road.

I had booked one of the better category rooms (as per the hotel ads) but the room was pathetic - dirty, small, smelly, stained curtains etc. We immediately asked for a change of room and were shown one of the newly renovated rooms but, of course, were asked to pay more! My guess - a money-making scheme.

Other than a restaurant, there is nothing else in the hotel - no gym, pool etc. The restaurant was like the rooms - old and worn. Service was surprisingly fast though! BF has limited choices.

My recommendation - you can find plenty of better hotels in Ooty.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms! At least, none that we saw.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Khems, Manager at Hotel Khems, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear "rajeshkk"

We thank you for your review on Tripadvisor & giving feedback on our property.

We are extremely disappointed you were not satisfied during your stay with us.

.I have tried to re check your reservation and sent an email to you regarding the same, However Your response was : " It was in May 2012 - dont remember the room nos "

As for what your review states :

1. Parking - We have parking space for upto 10 cars easily, 6 in our car park and another 4 under ground, which I guess You did not notice.

2. I am not sure as to which adverts you are talking about in your review as we have not run any advertisements on any platform.

3. You had probably booked through an online portal which only offers Budget Rooms, Our Superior Rooms are in no way as described by you - "dirty, small, smelly " .

4. I am not sure what source you have looked upon as we never have mentioned we have a "gym, pool " on any information outlet.

5. Our renovated room would obviously cost more than the non renovated ones.

6. I can guarantee at our price range you will not find better accommodation.

Once again I hope this answers all your queries.

Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for 3 days with my wife and it was a very comfortable stay. I found the staff to be very friendly, and they allowed us to check in at 7.30 am, even though the check-in time was 12 noon. Hotel Khems' own restaurant called "Memory Lane" offered awesome food, tasty but less spicy, so if you're health conscious you will love the food here. We had the food for 3 days and there was no stomach problem at all. Location wise the hotel is in proximity to the railway station, bus stop, auto stand, Rose Garden, and Botanical Garden. It's also close to HDFC ATM and Canara Bank ATM. The hotel is not on the main road, so we could enjoy a good night's sleep after a busy day, with no noises to bug us. It's a safe and secure hotel for women, and all the male staff are very well mannered.

Room Tip: Before check-in, find out what size room is offered to you.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Khems, Manager at Hotel Khems, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear "smweb"

We Hope you have taken fond memories of Ooty with you.

bangalore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This is a good hotel in terms of hospitality and behaviour of stuffs. We (4 persons) stayed in the hotel for just one night. The hotel have to renovate a lot. Everything is old , specially toilets. I have no idea about the 1st floor but 2nd floor really needs renovation. The location is good and hot water was available in the morning. The hotel person informed us that the restaurent is close on that night because some big group has booked, so for other customers it is not opened. Dear sir, I believe all customers should get same treatement. After whole day travel we were tired and expected to have dinner in hotel itself.
I will not visit this hotel or recomend if it is not undergoing renovation soon. I am happy with the hotel stuffs, reasonable price and good location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Khems, Manager at Hotel Khems, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear "sabyasachikazi"

We thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

Thanks for the feedback on your stay with us.

We are disappointed on the fact you were not fully satisfied during your stay with us.

I'm delighted to inform you that the first floor rooms are getting rave reviews and we look to follow the similar pattern to our 2nd and 3rd floors soon. But as we invest more into the property this would in turn raise the prices and for rates of below Rs.1000/ for a Budget Room majority of our guests term our existing rooms as True Value For Money.

As for Dinner not being available, I apologize for the same as our Kitchen was being utilized for a group and it was not possible to provide the normal menu as well as we had numerous people at the restaurant. We would only have not met your standards on the food that is why we could not have served up on that night.

I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to come experience the new rooms and give us your feedback on the same.

Our service staff would like to thank you for your appreciation towards service extended towards you.

Anil Lal

Been to Hotel Khems? Share your experiences!