“If this is the best?????????????” 1 of 5 stars

Nahar's Nilgiris Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   52-A, Charing Cross,, Ooty 643001, India   |
Ranked #36 of 72 Hotels in Ooty
Candolim
“If this is the best?????????????”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

If this is the best hotel in Ooty, then I seriously suggest you avoid the town.

We stayed here in December 2012 as part of a tour of Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, and Kerala. This place had reviews such as best hotel in Ooty, and promised good accommodation, Central Heating, 24 hour Hot water, etc. We opted for a "Superior room" in the garden extension (as recommended by a review).

Despite booking and paying for the room on the internet, all we got was a load of abuse from the front desk staff, complaining that we had not paid enough. There was no apologies or friendliness and it was as though it was our fault that the internet advertised rate was too low.

Having arrived in the early afternoon it took until 8pm to get hot water and the room reasonably warm, having forked out a further Rs300 to get an electric heater. Service was poor throughout, no bar and a pretty shoddy looking kitchen.

A serious disappointment and would recommend anyone else to avoid this place completely. I hope (for everyone else's sake that there are better places to stay in Ooty.

The only plus point for the Nilgiris is it's location which is great.

The town
Ooty closes down at 10pm, and after that nothing is open, so late night people (like myself) beware! We also visited three bars and could not get a cold beer anywhere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Bangalore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Dunno where to start and where to end. I had worst experience in this hotel. For he amount they charge it is negative value for money. There are far far better hotels in Ooty who do not ask that extra and raise your expectation. It is a LODGE calling themselves hotel. I stayed here as I got good food in their restaurants as non staying guest.

1) Worst / No room view (Blinded by a wall)
2) Waiters expect tips for every small thing they do.
3) Pure Veg In Room dining (although they have a good non veg restaurant)
4)Even from the selected Menu nothing available for room service. I ordered Hot and Sour soup + Dosa @9:15 pm and after 15 mins they say not available. Finally we settled for worst tasting Sweet Corn Soup.
5) Here comes one more they have a sunset to Sunrise menu i.e Late night food menu. I called at 1:30 am for Pav Bhaji and I get a response that only Tea / Coffee available. I don't understand if they do not intend to serve why write and commit.
6) Here comes Sleep quality - Early morning you hear cars sound which are parked in parking and dragging of Gas Cylinders. It is so so frustrating I slept at 2:00 am with all that food disappointment and on a hill-station, I am woken up early morning because of al these sounds.

Only and only one good thing i.e location of property. If you want to stay near city this is very well located.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Bristol. UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We arrived after an overnight train ordeal and taxi ride from Chennai via Metupalyam. Booked in. Staff helpful and polite. Room seemed fine except for rock hard bed so I needed my portable comfort (Gelert super compact self-inflating mattress). Unpacked and just as we'd got everything nicely orgainsed loud bangs started from the roof directly above our heads. Maintenance work in progress. Totally unacceptable. A stereotypical taste of India ensued. "Oh yes Madam" I will tell him to stop." Half an hour later we were still being hammered into headache zone. I call reception again. "Five minutes Madam. It will stop". Another half hour later I flounce down to reception. "We move room for you madam, nicer room". I refuse to move after installing ourselves and insist that the racket must stop. "How long you stay madam?" When I reply two days the banging ceases and does not recur for the duration of our visit. Apart from that the place is OK, Its not brilliant but its not expensive either. WiFi only in reception area. Restaurant OK....but staff attitude re the banging leaves a lot of room for improvement.

Room Tip: Make sure there's no repair work going on before you unpack
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tuticorin, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Is right in the middle of Ooty town.
So advantages are: many, many shopping and food choices within walking distance. Disadvantage is that it is crowded, noisy and no view of the famed nigiris mountains.

Ambiance is good. They maintain the property well.
It is clean.
I took the standard budget room for an overnight stay.
I was very satisfied.

Bed quality was a bit bad, I suppose that in the costlier rooms they will be good.

Toilet is clean.

Food is excellent!
It is pure-vegetarian, and the south-indian food like iddlis, dosas, etc were first-class!

The service was excellent. This was off-season and I was pampered!
Guess during peak-season I may not expect this.

Car-park is large, but during peak-season I have found it to be full.

Security was good, I felt safe with my family.

Excellent value for money, but the published tariff is very high. Make sure you bargain hard.

Conclusion: Will certainly stay here again If I want to walk around for food and shopping.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have been staying at this property very regularly over the last four years. There are very few good quality (clean, well maintained, with good food) hotels in Ooty, unless you go to the four and five star options. Nahar at Charing Cross (the heart of the city) is a great option.
Modestly priced ( do try for discounts), the location is also a great draw. You can walk around the market or just go in any direction for a walk.
The rooms are clean, very well maintained and the older heritage wings have a class of its own.
Nahar is a boon for vegetarians. It boasts of the best vegetarian restaurant in Ooty. Very high quality, consistent and quick turnaround. Of course, the pricing is like Chennai, being on the expensive side.
Its location ensures that you do not have to keep a car at your disposal all round, which is what you would be doing if you stay in far off places. The disadvantage is that you do not experience Ooty at all when staying in the hotel.
Even if you stay elsewhere, it is very likely that you will turn up at the hotel for a meal or a snack.
The hotel has an interesting restaurant called "Sidewalk" which has some good soups, pastas and pizzas. Surprisingly good quality for a town like Ooty.

Room Tip: check out the rooms- there are four categories, at different prices. The heritage rooms are the most...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Caveat: We did not stay here. But had lunch and also attended the New Year's eve party on 31st December 2013 for INR 3000/- per couple.

Food was awesome! Only catch is, this is a vegetarian place. Their restaurants are always crowded. We went at 3pm and still had a 15min wait time to get a table. I guess that says a lot about the taste of food.

New year's eve party was simply awesome here. It was indoor and they had a camp fire organized outside the hall for those who wanted to sit infront of that and relax. There were a lot of prizes being given too like the Best kid dancer, Best couple dancer, etc. The owner of Nahar had also come to this place and took part in the festivities along with everyone. This was a good experience.

While there were hotels charging over 3K. This place was definitely worth every penny spent.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Actually went to Sidewalk Cafe as I had seen this on Highway on my Plate with Rocky & Mayur, after relishing on the amazing Pizza. realised that I can stay in the same hotel of this hotel group which was Nahar.

Very clean & nice rooms at affordable rates (Do ask the reception for a dicsount & they will give you one)

The Room service is also efficient & timely.

Room Tip: Ask for Rooms on 3rd Floor as you get atleast some view of Ooty
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Nahar's Nilgiris Hotel? Share your experiences!