I have been using internet in getting reviews about products,places,etc. for quite some time and this time something made me write my first review. I had been planning for a small trip with my wife for quite sometime and somehow chose Ooty. Based on inputs from the net & few friends we zeroed in on Hotel Nahar. These were few points I wanted to share about the stay we had in the Hotel.
Booking : I had to call the reception for booking as their website was down.I called three times and my name was noted down only on the third attempt,on my interest, though in each call they told that phone booking is enough.We got a deluxe room confirmed.I couldn't really guess if their attitude was lethargic since they didnt bother to note down the name/phone number, though couple of managers sounded professional.[talked with three managers :)]
Reception: We anticipated that we would reach Ooty @ around 7:00 AM, but reached at 5:30 AM. The manager(s) were not found and one of the securities attended and checked if we had booked in advance.We explained and we got the room.
Room & Cleanliness: We were given a room in the ground floor,which is actually a little lower than the normal ground floor.The room size was ok. The moment we entered the room, we found that it lacked ventilation and it was kind of damp as the floor was carpeted.The bathroom was also missing ventilation :(. The lights available in the room were also shaded and it doesn't really reveal the look of the room. We decided that we should change the room at the next available chance. We got a room in the upper floor and even there we found the room was not clean.[the bed spreads,towels in the bathroom]
Room service: I found the room service to be kind of made compulsive on the guests rather than attending on need basis. One such instance, we reached the room and in about 45 minutes, a guy shows up without you calling and starts pestering you with need for taxis for local sightseeing.TIPs should be given voluntarily and I found it to be on the contrary.They stand at the door till you give them tips :(.
Location : The hotel is very well located and is at a walkable distance to the Botanical Garden and shops.Bus-stand is also close by.(aprox 2 kms)
Pros: 1) The managers were flexible.They give you some grace period irrespective of your check-in/checkout time.[Not sure as to how it would be during peak season]
2) The restaurants and the food they served was hygienic when compared with a couple of other restaurants we tried.
3) The drivers from the hotel's travel desk were quite friendly.
4) The response on need basis was good.
Cons : 1) Cleanliness in the room was one thing we really missed.The towels were quite old, the bedspreads were not replaced and was dirty in both rooms were we stayed.
2) We felt the room service was kind of compulsive on certain occasions.
In short, a decent hotel to stay,but the room is not worth the money you pay, when compared with hotels in other towns/cities for the same price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nahar hotels has been established in 1978, Renovating and updating the ambiance and amenities to the latest trends has always been our priority. Do visit our Sidewalk cafe which has been featured on Highway on my plate series(on NDTV). Do not miss our Indian speciality restaurant called Chandan and the South Indian coffee shop called the Garden Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HotelTravel.com, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Agoda, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Nahar's Nilgiris Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nahar's Nilgiris Hotel India/Ooty