“Back to the Raj” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lucca, Italy
“Back to the Raj”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

This is a converted bungalow with lots of period style in the public rooms. Our de luxe room, Hamlet, was in the annex and was spacious and comfortable with a sunroom to sit in at the front. The services were not explained at the start. Only on the second night did we find the housekeeper, Jacob (his day off the previous night) and he lit a fire in our room which burned beautifully and brought us hot-water bottles. The travel manager introduced himself and was more keen to sell us what he wanted than to listen to our interests - we didn't use him. The rest of the staff tried to help, but they were badly managed and service could be very haphazard. The food in the restaurant was very good (you have to buy your alcohol in from outside) but could be very slow. As the restaurant has a reputation, outside visitors book meals (often in family parties) which slows things. The hotel is on a hill overlooking the town which makes it quiet, but you have to get reception to phone for a rickshaw or car if you want to go anywhere (takes about 10 minutes to arrive - 100 rupees for rickshaw into town). The scenery is good, but Ooty is very disappointing after Darjeeling, and especially Shimla:

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

My stay at King's Cliff was a disappointing experience all around. I spent 2 nights in the Verona room, which is one of the smaller and cheaper rooms. When I made the booking I was told that the room was out the back and didn't have views, which didn't bother me. What did bother me was the lack of natural light - there were windows but it wasn't possible to open the curtains as the windows faced out onto a walkway. The room didn't smell musty or mouldy, but there are definitely mould problems - the walls and the curtains were clean, but stained by mould. The room adjoins the kitchen, which wasn't actually a problem. There was a little bit of noise around meal times and the faint smell of food, but neither was enough to disturb me. The bed was very uncomfortable. It's not actually a proper mattress on the bed, but more of a roll up mattress on a very hard wooden bedbase, which is something that I would expect at a backpackers, not a so called reputable hotel. I was able to have a good night's sleep by stacking both of the mattresses on top of each other (which I was only able to do because I was in the room by myself) but otherwise I would have been very uncomfortable. The room had a wood fire, but the fire would not stay alight for more than 10 minutes as the wood was wet. I pointed out to the night manager that the wood would not burn as it was wet and he said that all the wood was wet. So instead of just being honest about the fact that the fires aren't going to work and providing alternative heating, they waste their time and mine pretending that the wood fire is going to start. I think that they just put on a show, because they don't want to provide alternative heating, and hope that people won't complain. Which I didn't because I didn't return to my room until late on the second evening and got straight into bed.

The grounds of the hotel were the highlight, but unfortunately I wasn't able to enjoy them. While relaxing in the garden with my book, a group of young men dining in the restaurant area (they were not guests of the hotel) were taking my picture (which happened all weekend in Ooty, I would not recommend that young Western women travel here alone). I asked them to stop, and when they didn't I asked one of the staff members to speak to them. Even though they could see that I was upset by the behaviour of the men, they refused to speak to them. In fact, they didn't even refuse, they just stared at me. Very disappointing!

The restaurant was fairly good. The complimentary breakfast was decent but uninspired - the usual toast, omelettes, cornflakes and a few Indian offerings. When I checked in, I was told that breakfast started at 6am but when I arrived in the dining room at about 7.30 I was told that it didn't start until 8am. One of the staff members was very helpful and arranged for toast and tea for me. I ate in the restaurant one evening, which was quite nice and not too expensive. The apple pie and ice cream in particular was delicious. When the waiter provided us with our change, he rounded and neglected to give us 6 rupees. If he had given it to us I probably would have left a tip, but because he just assumed that he could keep our change (there was a service fee included in the bill) we demanded our 6 rupees and did not leave a tip. I guess towards the end of the stay I had lost patience with the hotel and its staff.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

Loved the old world charm of the public areas BUT the bedrooms could do with a major clean and some thorough maintenance. Most concerning was the state of the staff toilets and washing facilities. Our driver was distressed at being asked to use these facilities. Two of our party inspected the facilities and declared them sub-human. Remember these are the facilities that the staff use, ie the people who cook and clean for the guests.

There is great variability between rooms - the semi-deluxe rooms were very cramped and directly off the kitchen or dining room. The deluxe suite was more spacious but the shower floor was broken and the couch cover distinctly dirty. Windows did not close properly.

Some good staff but management were distinctly unhelpful.

Restaurant was good though service could be very slow and the food was variable.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

If you can imagine a place where the all around pollution of India did not exist then that place would be in Ooty at King's Cliff. We arrived late in the evening in after taking one night train and a common bus and started looking for accommodation. We were very tired and after visiting some hotels/hostels we stopped at King's cliff - for the best view over Ooty, the story like appearance of the property and for the rooms with chemnee. It was more than we could have expected in an area where all properties provide heaters but with extra charge. The rooms have high ceiling, beautiful decorations, old furniture but well preserved and incredible beds. Fresh cut flowers are put in the rooms. Great food in restaurant -delicious.

Good service although it can be hard to get yourself understood by the some members of the staff: they don't speak English very well.

The cleaning especially in bathrooms can be much improved. The shampoo and soap in the the bathrooms can be changed from time to time: I was under the impression that they are refilling the containers, they were full of dust.

All together it's a nice place but the overall image can be affected by minor details like bathroom cleaning, stained bathtub, broken sink. Nothing crucial, but visible.

And of course they have their own travel agent - Gopi- which can "help" you but you could do just fine without his services also: we booked a trip to tribal villages, tea plantations, and to the Metupalayam national park from this travel agent. I felt that the experience was not that awesome like he presented it and also I did not felt like I get good value for the money.
But the "travel agents" are the same everywhere in India I guess.

You can have your own trip to tea plantations -it's 10 minutes walk from King's cliff and is beautiful. Just ask the staff at the hotel.

For more info please contact on e-mail. I'll be glad to help.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

it is one of the good hotel in ooty,the food is excellent and also the room service.i have booked the rooms directly as this was the off season,i got the hotel only for 1 day as this was full from next day.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Hampi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

a Most memorable experience, Jacob the housekeeper really looked after us. they even supply hot water bottles as it gets really cold in the evening. we would definitely book again. Katie & Paul London Jan 2010.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

Excellent, colonial hotel, with carved teak rooms, with your own personal fireplace.

Food is oustanding.

Willowhill is an excellent alternative at the end of the driveway.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to King's Cliff? Share your experiences!