We stayed one night with a fairly large group (2 young kids, 2 couples, and an extra person). We really enjoyed the experience. We had two suites and these were very spacious - great for the kids and lovely to just sit in, enjoy the good food and the open fireplace. We also had a room which was OK, but it is worth paying more for the suite. It was cold - especially in this old house, but then it gave a good experience of what Ooty was about and added to the trip rather than spoiled it. Most of our group didn't bring warm clothes, which was OK for one night but would definitely be recommended for a longer stay. The rooms are not warm, but the bedding and fire are very cosy.
The food was excellent. It does take some time to come, so should be ordered well in advance. But, then they did manage to get us a great lunch not too long after we arrived. With only 5 rooms (I think) in the house they can't be expected to run a full, fast restaurant. However, the food was worth waiting for.
Ooty itself now resembles many other Indian towns and we found that staying in a heritage hotel allowed us to escape the congestion and dirt. The view from the villa was lovely - terraced hills and little activity. It is close to the town, but far enough away to get a feel for what Ooty must once have been like.
- Also Known As:
- Glyngarth Villa Hotel Ootacamund
- Glyngarth Villa Hotel
- Glyngarth Villa India/Ooty
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set amidst the Blue mountains, in the south of India is the unparalleled 'Queen of Hills Stations', Ooty Here touching the heavenly clouds the magnificent 'Glyngarth Villa' surrounded by boundless tranquility and splendor ... This Heritage Home, built in the year 1880 by Sir Walter Mounde in the colonial style, just outside Ooty town, has been home to many a rich and famous persons ... including the former Prime Minister of India the late Jawaharlal Nehru. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, HotelTravel.com, Tingo, HostelBookers, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Glyngarth Villa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.