“better than others” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gem Park-Ooty

You added Gem Park-Ooty to your Saves list
Gem Park-Ooty
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sheddon Road, Ooty 643001, India (Formerly Holiday Inn Gem Park-Ooty)   |
Ranked #30 of 71 Hotels in Ooty
New Delhi, India
“better than others”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

we went along with family, nice place....rooms are quiet large and good......food is also nice,,,,,only thing as kids playing room are in bad phase....so i requested to hotel management also as after evening there is not too much for tourist to go out and kids want to do something extra as dont want to just sleep in room...for them there is nothing to do...much........rest staff are cooperating........but one thing ...there swiming pool area is very noce and maintained.....

Room Tip: room facing ooty city
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Pune, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I was here for a friends wedding. The service here is extremely efficient and the staff takes good care of you, however the rooms are dated and a real let down. Though the stay was really comfortable, the ambience was disappointing.The food was pretty good and nothing to complain about here. Overall an ok experience.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
vinodgempark, Front Office Manager at Gem Park-Ooty, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Mr. Vasudevan,

Greetings from Gem Park Ooty!

We thank you very much for your review and definitely it will help us to serve you better.

We are pleased to inform you that the hotel has be renovated with 25+ rooms and approximately 20+ rooms will very soon go under renovated with the all modern amenities.

We look forward to welcome you in future

With best regards
Vinod
Front Office Manager
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I visited this hotel with my family - brother, mom, dad and aunt. This place is hard to reach on foot and one will need private conveyance even for travelling to close distances and sight seeing which is a must when you visit ooty. The hotel is big and one gets a feeling of grandness at the entrance. A great place for people who wish to break away from the daily lifestyle and relax with family or friends in nature's lap and moderate luxury. We booked two rooms which were quite big and connected with a doorway and had amazing views.
My family loved the grandness offered by rooms and the hotel. The rooms had small televisions and did not offer great value with limited channels. The bathrooms were big with bath tubs and with most bathing accessories. I enjoyed the long relaxed bathtub bath. The beds were cozy and comfortable and I had a comfortable sleep. The amazing view from the balcony from our rooms at 2nd floor were unbeatable and are the best feature in this analysis. I fondly remember the musicians who played guitar and tabla in the evening. lovely relaxing music.
Totally recommend this for a family trip or a group trip.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Palakkad
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I lost 27k for booking this hotel through my travel agent, i went there, took a look at this hotel and found the pathetic condition, even though i lost the money, Since I dint stay here, dint loose my good holiday ... i think its no more a holiday inn hotel...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

3. Old furniture and flooring
4. Old tv set and phone
5. Food is ok but not up to a 3 star hotel mark
6. 5000 for standard room not worth it

Room Tip: Wait till the hotel gets renovated
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangalore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I got my travel agent to book this hotel for me as my visit to Ooty was impromptu, as a regular traveller who has used the services of Holiday Inn in other locations went in with some amount of expectations. Sometimes Holiday Inn has managed to surprise me with a pleasant stay some times they have made me cringe with a few minor hiccups. These are things I take in my stride and dont crib about. But Gem Park property was the first time a Holiday Inn property got me to be disgusted. This could possibly be the worst "4 Star Deluxe" (as the receptionist said when checked, if only I lay my hands on the dumbo who gave this rating!!!) that I have stayed in. I have stayed in varied hotels ranging from 3-5 star across atleast 90 different cities around the globe. I entered the lobby to a board saying Welcome to Gem Park Ooty or the likes and the reception staff were courteous enough to tell me there is no AC in my room and I cursed my agent for not booking an AC room and immediately asked for an AC room which they informed was not available in turn I asked for an upgrade to a suite for which I offered to pay whatever the difference amount was which is when they said the whole hotel does not have AC!!!!!. I said OK since it is a hill station we might not require AC and took the room offered. Thats where the troubles started we walked into the room to freshen up and thanked the bell boy and closed the door. Wham the door refused to shut and on a closer inspection I realised that I had to bang the door shut since there was some extra wood at the hinges and no one even bothered to repair it. Then I entered the toilet to freshen up when I saw the bath tub was filled with water and overflowing the reason for this was a leaking shower. I called the reception to inform this who said some one from house keeping would come by, so we started waiting for the HK guy who did not turn up for almost an hour!! After which we left for dinner. All night we could hear the water trickling and ruining our sleep!!. The next day again we informed the same issue on our way out by which my frustration had reached its limit and I ended up shouting at them saying is this is the way a 5 star hotel is maintained for which the retort by the rude receptionist was this is not a 5 star hotel this is a 4 star deluxe!! Yeah you guys deserve a negative star not any other star!!. When I came back I made it a point to meet the duty manager since the leaking tap was still not received, the Duty manager was nowhere to be found so I went looking for the GM who was around, he immediately apologised and upgraded my occupation to a suite. This was good but not upto the mark of a 5 star hotel suite but I can live with it. Since I had been to the GM I had made enemies of the rest of the staff which is why the food I got for room service that night at the suite was extremely bad.

Out of 3 days stay all 3 days the swimming pool was under maintenance different times!!! Why cant you just apologise and say the swimming pool is not available for use and not put misleading boards like under cleaning will be open as soon as cleaning is done.

The silver lining in my whole stay were two things thankfully the sensible GM and the fantastic Chinese restaurant they have. Travellers please not if you step into this hotel please make sure that you do it only for a chinese meal in their chinese restaurant and for nothing else.

I am just praying some one from IHG the parent company reads this and does something to set this place right or they will be well known for fleecing people under the brand name of Holiday Inn!!

Room Tip: I think this place is best avoided
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Been to Holiday Inn Gem Park Ooty last month. From the minute we stepped into the lobby, the service was friendly , warm and effective. It is a very good place and very warm too. The staff helped us around with quite alot of details and that was the best way we could get familiar with the place. The family had really good time here.

The range of food and the service in the Restaurant was also the best that we experienced

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Gem Park-Ooty? Share your experiences!