“Great secluded hotel full of charm and character.” 5 of 5 stars

Savoy Hotel Ooty
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   77, Sylks Road, Ooty 643001, India   |
Ranked #11 of 70 hotels in Ooty
London, United Kingdom
“Great secluded hotel full of charm and character.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is the Savoy Hotel in Ooty, not a Taj copycat.
For a 150 year old building it is in remarkable condition, a clean well maintained hotel.
The staff are courteous and well trained, with some even stopping for a game of Carrom if you wish.
The restaurant has a warm feel to it and the food is very good, the service can be a bit slow though.
The high ceilings, wooden beams and open fire took me back to an era gone by with wifi, satellite tv, air con and modern bathroom.
An oasis in Ooty.

Room Tip: An exec suite has a huge living room with open fire, a big double bedroom, a dressing room the size...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
SavoyhotelOoty_India, General Manager at Savoy Hotel Ooty, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Mr. Gerard,

I thank you for sparing your time and posting feedback about your stay in Savoy Hotel Ooty

Your feedback has been shared among all the team, and they are delighted to know that you found the services to your liking. We constantly strive to give our guest the best of the services and such positive feedback encourages us to do even better. We have noted the feedback about the slow service & taken corrective steps for the same.

I thank you once again for your time and the feedback & look forward to having you again at The Savoy Hotel Ooty

371 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Coimbatore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We had the 25th year reunion of our college (PSG College of Technology ) organised in the lawn. It was attended by 500+ persons. Taj Savoy authorities under the leadership of GM, Mr.Vibhakar went all out to make it a memorable occassion for us. The food was great. They agreed to all our special requests and always went one step more than what they committed in all aspects . We did not feel that we were working with a Star hotel at all. The staff were so understanding and friendly. They were open to good suggestions . There was not a single occassion when they said " We know our job ".The leaf service lunch was a big hit with the younger generation especially from outside India. Thanx to the entire Taj Savoy team .

Room Tip: All the rooms are unique.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mr. Pandian,

I thank you very much for the positive feedback which you have given.

Your positive comments have been shared with the team & this will go a long way in ensuring that we meet the expectations of our guests. Guest feedback is invaluable as it helps to continually improve our guest satisfaction. I thank you very much for the positive feedback given by you and this will defenitly encourage my team to perform even better.

Do come back to The Savoy hotel Ooty for your next holidays. Looking forward to see you soon.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

First things first - if you are looking to have a "Taj" experience, please give this place a miss. Why? Here goes ...

1. This is a heritage property and don't think the Taj owns it. So the property (read rooms) is maintained as is and hence the comfort is missing.
2. The fittings, flooring etc. leave a lot to be desired. Doors need to be pulled hard to shut them, creaking wooden floors. I was surprised this was the Taj!!!
3. Be wary of the rooms here - you may not get what you expect. I had booked the suite (with 2 bedrooms) since my entire family was staying with me. All were senior citizens and I wanted to make sure they were comfortable. However, what we got was a huge bedroom (with fireplace et all) and one sorry little room with no windows and little ventilation. You would mistake this for a waiting room in other Taj properties! I was certainly not expecting this from Taj. My parents had a tough time adjusting to such a small room.
4. Service in the restaurant is painfully slow at times - be prepared to wait for your order.
5. There is not much to do around in this resort - activities are sorely lacking - they have some badminton rackets and a football lying around and you can choose to play in the lawns if you wish
6. The approach road to this property is quite narow and littered with cow dung/ overflowing gutters. You would need to spend a good 50 bucks for an auto every time you decide to visit Ooty marketplace!

The good things ...
1. The service was excellent, this is something we do expect Taj to do well. Everyone from the reception guys to the housekeeping staff were just amazing!
2. The restaurant offers a good fare, though the service as I mentioned earlier does get a bit slow. They have no lunch/ dinner buffet though - you need to choose from the a-la-carte menu
3. The lawns are well manicured and excellent if you just want to lounge around, read a book or listen to music
4. The fireplace provided in the rooms is a life saver - it does tend to get too cold and the heaters are really not upto the mark.
5. For those interested in books, they have a neat collection tucked away in a quiet corner near the reception, do check it out.

All in all, a mixed experience really. It may also have to do with the fact that you do go in with great expectations when you book a Taj property. The Savoy, sadly lets you down. You would not be mistaken to believe that you are staying in some heritage property maintained by some other chain of hotels and not the Taj!

Room Tip: Definitely see the rooms before you move in. Some of the rooms, especially in the suites are extreme...
Dear Mr. Anand,

Thank you for staying with us & I do appreciate you taking time to share the detailed feedback for your stay with us.

The detailed feedback which you have given is very important to us. It is this feedback from guests like you which helps us in identifying our strengths & working on our weaknesses and guide us constantly toward guest satisfaction

I have shared the positive feedback about our associates and they are delighted to know that you like the services rendered by them.

We have taken steps on the points which you other points which you have mentioned so that they do not occur again. I apologies for the discomfort caused to your parents who were traveling along with you, but since the property was built during different time periods, no two rooms in the hotel have the same dimensions.

I thank you once again for your feedback & look forward to having you back at The Savoy Hotel Ooty

Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

It is a really beautiful heritage property ....really nice rooms, excellent bathrooms... Very friendly & helpful staff... The food at the restaurant was awesome... Excellent range of local & international flavours.... We'll maintained lush green gardens....all in all an excellent experience, wasn't expecting too much as some of the trip advisor comments were not really good... But I did not go expecting a 5 star luxury hotel... As it seems from the review that some people were expecting... It is as,all heritage property& we had an awesome time...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SavoyhotelOoty_India, General Manager at Savoy Hotel Ooty, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Mr. Randeep,

I thank you very much for the positive feedback which you have given.

Warm Regards
Guwahati, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

The main building, cottages, furniture and gardens belong to an era gone by . So if you like it that way , you will enjoy your stay . if you are looking for a modern 4 /5 star experience ,avoid this place. It is clean and staff is friendly. the breakfast buffet is very good . There is a Spa which was worth the money.The bonfire and the evening games were well organized. On the downside the bar was not well-stocked , the bar -man was not very conversant, the approach road is deplorable . Nevertheless, for the money paid it was a good stay in a Taj property.

Room Tip: Take a de-luxe room
Dear Ms. Kakati,

I thank you very much for your time to give a positive feedback about our hotel.

I am happy that you found our services to your liking.Your feedback ha been shared with the entire team & they are delighted to know that you liked the hotel services. We are have noted the feedback about the bar & will take steps to ensure that the same is not repeated in the future. We constantly strive to give our guest the best of the services and such feedback helps us in working on our strengths & identifying our weakness.

pathyil.vibhakar@tajhotel
Kozhikode, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

All I can say that it is an "above average" hotel amongst the Taj group hotels. If you compare this class with any other Taj properties, you may be slightly disappointed. This is a very old building which got converted to a hotel very long ago. Except the fact that it has a huge beautiful garden and English type buildings, I did not find it as appealing as other Taj properties I have stayed. I am sure almost every good hotels in Ooty has its own garden and similar features though.

Mine was a superior room which was spacious enough. It has a nice fireplace as well as a room heater. First and foremost, this is located very close to the highway so it is very easily accessible. The buffet breakfast was very good. As we were so busy with the site seeing, we did not spend a lot of time in this hotel though. Nonetheless, I would say it is a good hotel for a stay in Ooty. Will I come back here ?? Definitely NO. but I guess it is worth staying for once.

Dear Mr. Vipin,

I am happy that you found our services to your liking. The kitchen team is glad to know that you liked the breakfast buffet spread which we had on offer. We constantly strive to give our guest the best of the services and such positive feedback encourages us to do even better.

Warm Regard
pathil.vibhakar@tajhotels.com
Abu Dhabi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stay : Aug 2013
Positives:- Breaskfast, ambiance, friendly staff, well maintained cottages (150 years old hotel), beautiful Garden, Nice kid play area, cheap rate for its star status, very spacious play area for kids,.
Negatives:- Noise making very old cupboards, need to call 3-4 times to ignite the fire place, For my case the room was not offered for which I have booked & paid.
Suggestion: Outside food in Ooty is very bad & expensive, recommended to book the room along with dinner as a package. No proper differentiation between the rooms, hence be specific what you exactly looking for.

Excellent breakfast. Although some minor negatives I love to stay back in Savoy. Its definitely memorable trip for my family.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SavoyhotelOoty_India, General Manager at Savoy Hotel Ooty, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Mr. Kannan,

I thank you for your time & giving the feedback about your stay at Savoy Hotel Ooty.

I am glad that you liked the hotel & the services which we offer. We constantly strive to give our best & such feedback encourages us. However I have made a note of the points which you have mentioned. Such feedback guides us in raising our services and standards.

I once again thank you for the feedback & your choosing the Savoy Hotel Ooty for your stay in Ooty. I look forward to having you once again at the Savoy Hotel Ooty

Warm Regards
pathyil.vibhakar@tajhotels.com

Been to Savoy Hotel Ooty? Share your experiences!