“normal stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 71 Hotels in Ooty
chennai
“normal stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2008

we stayed in sterling fernhill ooty, the resorts is built up very nice and at good location but the maintainence is very poosr and service is too slow. food is normal. but it is economical

Stayed September 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Korean first
bangalore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2008

i visited ooty from october 9 to 11, 2008...we had booked this hotel from a travel website , as it was RCI affiliated we thought it would be a good place to stay and spend our vacation.at first look i liked the location of this so called 'resort' but the truth came reckoning a bit later , as we checked in around 1pm( we drove from bangalore) we realised the room booked for us originally was as they said ' not prepared yet' so were shifted to another one(didnt matter) but after seeing the condition of the room and other rooms ...i would say it DID!
the rooms were smelly and looked like we were the only person in them since the last bug's generation died here! some roaches still running around trying to find their hot-seats (for a possible later attack: u better be care full buddy(roach grinning) lolz)...
after somehow settling down, we wanted hot water for bath ...wich it turned out was a distant dream( the boy had to fetch buckets from far as they said they were having some issues with hot water supply...maybe??)
the restaurant was ok, service was slow(i had got used ti it by this time..what else cud i expect....but surprisingly i somewhat liked the food more to my surprise)...the city and nearby attractions more than made up for this hotel, as well as the weather...pretty nice!
but i wud personally not suggest this hotel to anyone for the low quality and high costs.
+ve : good location, food was ok
-ve: bad condition of room and bathroom, sluggish amenities

• Liked — food
  • Disliked — rooms
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bangalore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2008

I arrived at sterling OOty fernhill on 30th at around 7.00pm. I was allotted room no.1427 but when the bell boy walked in it was not ready and I was allotted room no.1431. After a long journey we just stretched ourselves. Half hour later we just unpacked and tried using the toilet when we found the flush was not working. On informing the same was repaired within 1/2 hour. Latter in the night when heard the tap on the wash basin drip we tried closing it and to our horror found that the spindle of the tap was worn out and you need to cleverly close it to a certain point, which we mastered after a few tries. The TV provided was a old videocon WITHOUT REMOTE. When we pointed it it was replaced. Latter when we looked at the Sofa provided it was torn and tattered totally stained and next day a white sheet was provided to cover this up. When we looked under the sink it was stinking and was dirty with the trash bits from the previous occupants still there. The refrigerator had the same tale to tell. Blood stains on the wall greeted us in the room while fungus filled mould welcomed us in the bathroom. There was no foot mat at the bathroom door. The muck under the electric panel seems to be lying there from the time this resort was built.
It is most irritating to find people walk into your room one by one fixing things, when all those things should have been in place even before the guest steps into the room. It is also irritating to ask for things like soap, towel, tissue etc. I feel there is no process in place or proper orientation & regular trainings being held.
You may be thinking that I am exaggerating these things. Please find photographs of all these enclosed along with.

• Liked — My Exit
  • Disliked — Everything.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2007

I am a member of Royal Goan Beach club,which has a exchange programme with Sterling Resorts.I was a member of Sterling once and exchanged my membership with Royal Goan,as Sterling was in a bad shape.
I had requested for any resort in South india,and was given a week in Sterling Fernhill. We a family of 4 adults & a child ,reached the resort on 29th oct with a lot of apprehension about the time we would have in view of the the poor reviews we had read. We were pleasently surprised at what a great time we had. Though we were booked for 7days,we planned to stay only 4days.Inview of the Nice time we stayed the whole week.
Our honest appraisal is as Under
Location : wonderful
Building and surroundings ;Very good
Resturant : Fantastic
Rooms : Good , all systems were working. Furniture requires updating, the management has informed us that the renovation is being done.
Room Service : Good. We have to understand that in a hill resort the staff have to travel up & down the hill,which is a laborious task & can take some time. The staff is polite & cooperative.
We have travelled Extensivly,Patience & politeness is a virtue.
You can make people do wonders for you.

R.Bellare

• Liked — Exellent location
  • Disliked — furniture requires updating
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
madras
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2007

I am still traumatised by the horrendous experience my family and I had at this pathetic excuse for a resort.I booked this resort thru RCI India who. as I later found out, haven't the faintest idea as to what goes on here. The rooms were shabby,the linen soiled,the hot water geysers did not function properly,the carpet filthy but the worst was my wife finding a worm in her food.The coup de grace was seeing a huge rat scurry across the patio.Avoid this place like the plague.

I have sent a stinker to RCI and asked them to explain how they can subject their clients to this trauma;they are equally responsible for they failed to exercise due diligence in this matter.Not only did I squander my week, It was like being thrown in hell.Avoid this resort like the plague.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — food,rooms,lack of hygiene
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hyderbad India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2005

I happened to stay in this place for four nights, mid oct, 2005. The check in was fine. The rooms are in BAD shape, real shady. Here are the details -
The sofa (-- bed) in the living room was so dirty , I was not sure whether to allow my kids to use the sofa or not. I had asked the resort folks to change the sofa, but the response was – “we do not have any spare ones” :( ok, I asked him to get a clean linen and cover this sofa , thanks god, he had a spare linen.

The bathroom was next in line. It was so dirty, I had to call the maintenance guy and ask him to clean it up and personally supervise. The shower curtain was damp and had lost its original colors.

The ceiling in bathroom and bed room – both were damp and were dark.

The resort folks had provided us a hot plate (electric stove), which I do not think was cleaned for years.

Over all - even though this place is situated in a nice location, I think it is not worth staying there at the expense of your health.

• Stayed October 2005
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2004

What can I say but the words ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE in CAPITALS. I spent 2 nights in the Sterling Fern hill in September 2004
The hotel is situated in a nice place with good views. The reception and ease at handling the paper work was satisfactory. The rooms were just atrocious. Cold, damp no hot water running, dirty, whel what can I say it needs a complete overhaul.
The restaurant was ok and the service was reasonable.
Avoid this place like the plague unless you are fond of staying in cold places in the company of cockroaches!

Been to Ooty - Fern Hill, A Sterling Holidays Resort? Share your experiences!