“Colonial Times!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Colonial Times!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Right from the bookings/ enquiries till the very end of our trip this was trip to remember:
Ms. Ambareen, was always patiently answering to all our innumerable questions also gave us the best rates.
Once we reached Ooty Ms. Geetha and Mr. Sarnish took over the full responsibilites to make our stay a memorable one. We were a party of two families of couple and a 5 yr old each. We were aptly suggested to book the Isis and Flora suites as they have a connected sitting room and the kids made most of it running day in and day out. The property is meticulously maintained and the garden is delightful as well. Also, there were regular visits by the pony keeper much to the delight of the kids.
The food was an epicurean affair. The breakfast spread was humongous with bread butter/ aloo paratha/ puri sabzi, followed by omlettes/ poaches/ scrambles, sausages, cornflakes, curd/ lassi, juices and tea/ coffee. I had to rest after the breakfast!
One day we had a barbque arranged and the Kebabs were heavenly. The yalso got us a lovely fruity Red Wine. The next day when we requested for something special, Mr. Sarnish talked to the cheff and arranged an awesum Beef Steak for us!
The rooms are huge, with meticulous toilets and sit outs.
This is a supperb property retaining the old age charm - do not miss on the piano, clocks, radio of the bygone era in the main bungalow and sip to your glass by the fireplace!
Awesum experience!

Room Tip: Suites are the best
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

An extended family holiday had us book all rooms and cottages at this wonderful property. Great location and large bedrooms, cottages and bathrooms. All areas of this property is thoughtfully appointed and did give us an experience of staying at a colonial home. The staff at the property were pleasing and did their best to accommodate our requests.

With about 18 hungry people at breakfast at one go, they did struggle a bit. Advertised breakfast was not available but whatever was dished out was very good. We did have some outsiders at the restaurant but that did not cause any disturbance.

On the whole, this is an accommodation I would love to go back to or refer to my friends. This feedback is only based on having the whole property to ourselves and the experience may diminish or be no different to routine resort accommodation if you had to share this with other guests.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Disclaimer: I have never been to the place. This review is based on the interactions I have had with the manager/owner Ambareen over a cancelled booking. I had booked two rooms for a family stay for two nights in the month of June (13th and 14th). I made the reservation on May 26th. Due to some reason, I had to cancel the booking the day after I made the reservations. I was told my whole amount would be refunded given the fact that I had made the cancellation way before the deadline for getting the full refund. She asked me to give her till the 10th of June to refund the money and I agreed. That was my mistake. On 11th June, I called her and ever since then its been one lie after the other. For the first few times I called her, she told me that they had some emergency and were going to transfer me the money the next day. After a few days she blocked my number and ever since then, she has blocked every number that I called her from. I had my friends call her and she either disconnected the phone on hearing my name or gave the same line of the money being on the way. And then blocked their number too. I have no other option but to file a legal complaint now to get back my money. I have never faced this kind of behavior while dealing with anyone in the travel industry. These people are dishonest to the core and I am writing this review to caution other people so that they won't get duped the same way I did.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Bangalore, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Picture perfect is what I will say about Lymond House, be it the rooms or the garden or the dining hall or fireplace ... everything is done with great taste. We had booked Westbury and Grace and both were lovely rooms in their own ways. Westbury is cozy and comfortable and good for couples. Grace suite is the first in the row of 3 suites. The best thing I liked about Grace is the living area in front. Nice place to sit and enjoy a cup of tea in morning with cool breeze and morning sun rays through the windows. All 3 suites are good, one can choose anyone and will not regret. In fact it make more sense to go for the suites as they offer so much more in terms of experience for the extra bucks. Only downside I can think off is because suites are big, it takes more time get warm.

Coming to the service, I will say that the entire staff was very polite, cordial and attentive to all our requests. On the day of arrival we were running late for lunch so we called up Ambareen, she gave us the in house restaurant contact and we place the order for food while still on the way and it was ready when we arrive at Lymond House ... we were delighted.

Last year we stayed in "180 McIver" another nice property managed by the same group and based on our good experience decided to go for Lymond House and we were not disappointed. Right from the booking, our experience with Lymond House has been great and we will definitely visit this place again and again and will strongly recommend it to others. This is a place with soul and staying here is a relaxing experience.

Breakfast spread was not elaborate but it was tasty and you get everything hot. The dining hall deserves a special mention, it's ambiance does make the food tastier :)

If I nitpick than one thing they can improve is that they can put concrete or tar the entrance pathway, it was broken with loose stones and driving in and out of Lymond House was not convenient. Also they have big wooden boxes in the suite rooms which have sharp edges, which might be risky if there are kids.

Room Tip: Go for the suites, all 3 of them are good. The last one has a small garden in front which is more ic...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Oxford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

We loved this place. It is a beautifully tranquil yet convenient spot. The service is wonderful and, as others have commented, the food is exceptional. The building itself has a very old and characterful feel and the rooms likewise. It just feels very grand colonial whilst being a modest and understated building. The rooms have everything that you need and we certainly didn't have a problem with the cold having visited in April. I almost wish it had been cold so that we could have lit the open fire and got really snug.

There are only a couple of negatives to report, the soundproofing in the rooms (we had an outside chalet) isn't brilliant but the bigger issue is that behind the bedroom (though not visible unless you ventured round there) appeared to be an open rubbish store which clearly attracted rats that could be herd scuttling through the ceiling void at night which was a little off-putting. That said, I would return but I hope that they do something to sort this as it is otherwise just perfect.

Room Tip: The outside chalets are beautiful.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

We wanted to spend our anniversary in a quiet peaceful place, which was cooler than Bangalore. This colonial bungalow suited all of our needs. Ooty is surely cooler than Bangalore, although not too much in the summer. The place is really beautiful and gives you a luxurious feeling. Perfect for a relaxing weekend, which was our intention. This is perfectly suited for honeymooners and couples in general. However, there were some kids in the adjacent rooms, and it didn't seem like they got very bored.

We chose Isis as this had a tad bit more privacy. The room is huge with a fireplace and so is the bathroom and the sitout/hall. They are very much like in the pictures. The staff was very sweet and courteous. Geetha took very good care of us. They even surprised us with a cake :) The property is about 2 kms from the main Charring Cross street. We walked it up once and it seemed quite easy. Luckily for us, it had rained and cooled down quite a bit, so we had the perfect weather that we wanted. Cozy place, good food which was decently priced and friendly people taking good care of you. The only negative is that it is priced a bit on the higher side. For people looking for a laid back holiday in a colonial style bungalow, this is quite perfect.

Room Tip: For more privacy, if just a couple, choose the bigger rooms with the hall. If you're going as a...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Colchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

A group of 4 stayed here recently. The breakfasts were amazing. Fantastic Indian breakfasts - especially the poori!The rooms were lovely if a bit dark. The garden was lovely to sit and relax in. The main problem was the cold! One room did have a fan heater, but it didn't work. The other had a fire - but it was a bit of a problem to light it. Also the showers were a problem - either very hot - or cold! Not a good way to warm up! Staff were helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Lymond House? Share your experiences!