“Excellent French food!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Belle Vie

La Belle Vie
McIver Villa (Orange Grove Road) | Bedfort Near Tantea Office, Coonoor 643101, India
+91 423 223 3222
Dining options: Reservations
Coonoor, India
“Excellent French food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

A French couple who support organic farms in the Nilgiris run this wonderful guest house and the restaurant. So, most of the ingrediants are organic. They serve both vegetarian as well as non-veg dishes. The location of this beautiful place is amazing overlooking a huge valley of tea estates in a very quiet and a peaceful environment in the Upper coonoor.

Visited July 2012

75% Recommend
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
New Delhi, India
“Above Average !!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Place: Extremely Beautiful location. This is one of the sweetest spots in Nilgiris to eat. I recommend lunch even though dinner is as good an idea.
Ambience: Colonial British Bunglow turned into guest house(180 Mciver Villa) and the restaurant in front of the bunglow is La Belle View. The place is a little dull, I would like some music and maybe live band on a few days would be perfect .But its boring as the order takes you about 20 min on average and when no drinks are served here, its really annoying to wait.And can get very boring if you are not in a group.
Food: We ordered Pizza and Forestiere. Pizza was huge and can be alone sufficient for 2 people, very authentic flavours and thin crust makes it taste like we were eating stone oven restaurants of Italy .Forestiere I would say was not totally French , this is my fav cusinie and I have eaten some awesome forestiere all over the world. I wouldnt say it was bad, but for some reason it tasted more like indian chicken curry with mushroom and peas.(makhani style)
The desserts are not listed on the menu and to be honest I'd prefer Cafe coffee day Chocolate cake 1 mile ahead over their desserts.
The cuisines offered are Italian,French,Thai and Indian.
Cost /Value : Being an avid traveller and foodie , I have had meals costing Rs 10 pp to Rs 10000pp , This is certainly a little overpriced for the small city of Coonoor. There is a 10% discount for Army brats, so basically you dont pay the tax.
I would travel again to eat here, for only obvious reason that I am in the vicinity for another 9 months and hence this is one of the best options around.

Tip: If you love Indian Cusines ,I'd say there are more options around, eat here if you are missing other cuisines. And Pizzas here do get 10/10

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chennai (Madras), India
“Go if you are a foreigner or Fauji”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Firstly, I am a staunch Indian foodie and this review may help only my types. My teenage daughter hypes eating at such places and such food but I was disappointed, and so was my son @11. Two French dishes( fish and chicken based), an indian Prawns and Mushroom dish with 2 rotis and a plate of rice was ordered for 4 of us after the soup. Believe me, the French dishes are sufficient only for ppl on diet/ above 80. And each meal costs u 450-500 Rs. Six small pieces of prawns get over with one roti, which is actually an oil dipped papad. Other roti is to be had with gravy. I think the reason why this place has good reviews is there is no alternative for foreigners. And the other esteemed members of my organisation are more bound by the fashion to say that they love this place. Wish I had time to discover a Punjabi dhaba or local restaurant there. I basically had an exquisite accommodation with full time cook at coonoor so went to this place only bcoz of the rating on Tripadvisor and for change. Atmosphere was average; I have travelled and eaten-outside enough.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
“Undoubtedly the best restaurant in Coonoor!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

The ambiance is classy and the food beats it even more! We tried French, Italian, North Indian and Thai dishes and all were par excellence. The aloo-methi starter and the methi paratha are to die for, and so are the homemade gnocchi and the Thai curries. We missed the pesto sauce in the gnocchi, but then, we hadn't asked. The creme gratin was also quite nice. The portions were decent as well. All in all, went around the town to find others, but kept coming back to La Belle Vie. Bon appetit!

Visited June 2013
New Delhi, Delhi, India
“One black spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I lived and worked in Coonoor for a year and once I discovered this place I became a regular. Owing to the prices, obviously it had to be for special occasions and I took to making an monthly pilgrimage to Coonoor, a 21 km ride from my work place in Colacumby. Id carry a small bottle of brandy and enjoy a leisurely meal. On four occasions I have brought friends over and have introduced the place to many people. The food was always excellent, and the service, though nothing to write home about, was effective. But La belle vie has a snooty side. Turn up for a late lunch, without reservations and they'll treat you like a leper.

Still I accepted that as the price one pays for such heavenly surroundings, heritage buildings etc. Then a day came when I reserved a table for myself and undertook my 21 km ride at night. La belle vie had been booked for a private party and the maitre de, the rats name is Naveen, refused to seat me. Chef Peter, who had taken my reservation had gone home and Naveen just said No. Not even sorry, simply no. Can you imagine a restaurant doing that? But that's is what happened. I left never to return.

But afterall, one swallow does not make a summer. One after another I have had deliciously prepared and graciously served meals, some of my happiest moments were spent at La belle vie and if that idiotic maitre de is removed or atleast reformed, I would go back in a trice. I still recommend it strongly to anybody looking for a quality dining experience in Coonoor.

PS: I must also add that I spent my birthday and the chef, Peter baked a special cake for me, on the house. Just one among the many happy moments spent here.

• Visited June 2012