“A decent place to stay in Coonoor.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Vivek

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Coonoor
Hotel Vivek
You added Hotel Vivek to your Saves list
Figure of 8 Road | Near UPASI, Coonoor 643 101, India   |
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Coonoor
Coimbatore, India
“A decent place to stay in Coonoor.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

This hotel has rooms in all budget. The rooms are clean and the staff are courteous. It is better to book in advance for rooms that you would prefer. The hotel has a multicuisine restaurant. However the menu to order is limited.The hotel has ample car parking space. Hotel Vivek, or figure of 8 road do not show-up in Google maps or Hear maps ask directions for Bedford and in bedford for Hotel Vivek.
Be prepared to pay in cash as their credit card swiper seems to have problems.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a very good view of the mountains and tea estate.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

The best thing I loved of the hotel is it's value for money. This is my second stay and it was every bit nice in the cottages. They arrange exotic weddings and we stayed for my friends wedding. The cottages are clean and the bathrooms are kept neat. The breakfast in the green field restaurant was cream on the cherry. The service was excellent. I had lost the keys for my suitcase and they were prompt in getting my problem sorted. Overall I loved the stay!

• Stayed December 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Stayed here with my family last month. Loved every bit if it . The suite room they offer are the best in town . And the food was great. Loved the hospitality! They have garden dining ... Cool cottages and really great staff . My kids loved the activities they offered. Fun vacation !

Stayed December 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

We stayed at hotel vivek cunoor last week where my family and i had a lovely time . The food they serve is mind blowing , to mention the continental dinner that we had was whatbwe enjoyed the most, we stayed in the standard delexue room(newly renovated as what they say) which i found was much more worth for the price they sell, breakfast ifcourse was not inckuded in the package , which could have been accommodated by them .but over all we had a great stay.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Kochi (Cochin), India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

I stayed here for a night and 2 days with my dad on an personal trip recentrly and stayed here before too last year
The man in the counter was so lazy and didnt care about anything. There are no lights in the dormitory for drivers and poor bathroom facilities. My driver called me in the night and said to please take him out of this place. Today after a year we come back to the same place and we book a room. Again the dorm for drivers doesnt have lights and they had a dark and spooky public bathroom for them. We tell the person who seemed to be incharge that there are no dorm lights , and he says lazily , its been like that since a year and we cant do anything about it. It sounded as if he didnt care one bit. Kept on giving one excuse after another for any question asked. Rooms are dirty and there are no water in taps. The blankets given to me and my dad were Damp as if just washed and not given time to dry so we were freezing at night. most furniture in the room are torn ccouches and beds are dirty. cracked paints on walls and give a spooky appearance. From outside it looks nice.

Poor buffet spread in the restaurant and a rude guy who makes eggs and dosas . He makes those dosas and eggs with a pang of irritablilty and he sure hates his job. These people are not monitored is what i feel. We were made to sit on a dirty table...and when my dad asked him to clean the mess on the dirty table , the waiters chose to ignore it. He told it 3 - 4 times and finally we moved to another table.

I would never come here again.

Room Tip: there are other good hotels around pls choose them if u dont want to suffer.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Coimbatore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I am Mrs. Meena. We stayed here for 5 days & opted for Executive Room, which was excellent. The Service & food was too good, especially the Breakfast gave us the homely taste. It was just few min travel to Ooty and other places. We were comfortable with our own vehicle. If required, they provide maxi cabs as well. Overall it was a safe and happy Honey Moon.

Room Tip: Executive Rooms are excellent
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thiruvalla, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I checked in at Hotel Vivek ( Vivek Tourist Home), Coonoor, The Nilgiris on 19.10.'13. Chose to stay in a Deluxe Room.
As this was a sort of working holiday, I had to have a connection to the Internet. The wireless broadband signals at the hotel were abysmally bad. So I had no choice but to rely on the in-house wi-fi service which, Vivek advertises, is available to all guests.

For the first couple of days I managed by going to an Internet Café, but they closed quite early and I needed to work longer. So on 21/10, I tried to use the wi-fi at the hotel. The staff member at the desk, one Pravin, gave me two passwords, both of which were wrong. He expressed inability to help me when I told him that both the passwords that he gave me were wrong. So I told him to make sure that he obtained
the right password as I needed to use the Internet the next night also. I was unable to do any work that night, and that had its attendant consequences.

The next night, i.e. , 22/10, I wanted to use the wi-fi again, but was given wrong passwords again ! That careless & callous behaviour on the part of the staff angered me, and I asked to speak to the Manager. The Manager refused to come out of his room to talk to me, and that really got my goat !! I shouted angrily at the idiotic bloke at the Reception counter, and told him that unless he found a solution immediately, all hell would break loose ! They tried to fob me off, but when they realised that I was deadly serious, the guy scurried behind his desk, and after some hurried conversation on the phone, brought me the correct password !
The hotel was so careless, and had no qualms about badly upsetting a guest !

I didn't want to let it go at that, and planned to speak to one of the owners of the hotel, one Nikhil Suresh, to give him a piece of my mind ! However, before I could do that, another incident took me by surprise !

On the morning of 24/10, I went to a vegetarian restaurant in Coonoor town - Lakshmi Hotel, with a lady friend for breakfast. This restaurant also is owned by the owners of Hotel Vivek.
After we finished our food we went to pay our bill at the counter, as is the usual practice in such eateries.
Nikhil Suresh, whom I referred to earlier, was at the counter and he asked me what the problem was at Vivek a couple of days ago. I started to explain, but the bloke seemed least interested in listening. He foul-mouthed me and even started to assault me. However, he was pulled away by his staff. All this while, my lady friend was standing there aghast ! So much for the culture of the gent !
To make matters worse, Nikhil Suresh filed a police complaint against me ! Looks like this is a move that thugs use to preempt the filing of a complaint by the genuinely aggrieved person !
I got a call from the Sub Inspector of Coonoor police station while I was in a meeting with the Commandant of the Madras Regimental Centre at Wellington. It is another matter that vindictive plotting by nincompoops like Nikhil Suresh, who is only old enough to be my son, is not going to give me any sleepless nights !

They made it even worse by counter locking my room in a bid to harass and humiliate me. Of course, I
didn't want to spend one moment than was absolutely necessary in that rat hole of a hotel !

This was my second visit to Vivek Hotel. I had been a guest there earlier, in May/June this year, and had not been happy with my stay. What made me overlook their shortcomings was the fact that Nikhil Suresh's late father had been a contemporary of mine in school.

The hotel is patronised, largely, by the nouveau riche classes from the plains.They keep the doors of their rooms open, and drink and play cards, all the while talking loudly and playing loud music, without any regard for the other guests. Our friends also litter the floor liberally with food scraps and soiled paper napkins!
The restaurant is no better ! It is manned by inexperienced staff from places like W . Bengal, the North East, Orissa, etc. The guests throw food and napkins on the floor,and the place is a merry mess !
The hotel management is not inclined to do anything to correct this obnoxious behaviour of the guests !

Another big inconvenience is that the restaurant on the premises does not seem to be owned by the hotel. You have to pay up front for all the food that you order, whether it is at the restaurant or ordered through Room Service. No putting it on your final bill for convenience of payment. - And, be warned - if you choose to pay by credit/debit card, you will ripped off by another 3% !! Whoever heard of such rubbish in this day and age ?!

Room service is also quite pathetic ! Your orders arrive late, and cleanliness of the utensils is nothing to write home about ! The same sugar that the monkeys (yes, monkeys !) have dug their fingers into, while the sugar containers were sitting outside your room waiting to be cleared, is recycled and served to you again !

Overall, a disappointing experience for anyone who has seen the world and would like a pleasant stay. It looks like the management is only attuned to catering to new money, accepted standards of hospitality be damned ! In fact you would well be made to feel unwelcome if you display some measure of sophistication !

My advice would be - Keep away if you are used to civilised standards of hospitality. You'll go there only if you cannot afford anything better !!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Vivek? Share your experiences!