“Great staff & location - terrible management” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ayurveda Yoga Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coonoor
Ayurveda Yoga Retreat
286 Sanitorium Kambisholai Road, Coonoor 643231, India   |
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
“Great staff & location - terrible management”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Shine and Ramesh were great yoga teachers - Vinod, James and all the other staff members and doctors were wonderful and the location is fantastic if you're looking to relax. The downside is the management/owners. Everyone who stayed there had at least one unpleasant experience. One example: they charge 2,5% more if you pay by credit card (this was not written anywhere, instead they write in every email 5% discount if you pay cash). My tip: ignore the owners and enjoy your stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

112 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This is a beautiful retreat, set in the middle of nature. However, its still India, so dont expect too much. A few negatives:

1) The activities they advertise as available are, in reality, much more limited than they make you think. "Cooking class" is an ad hoc, one hour session held once a week that is really not organized or conducive to learning. None of the safaris/sightseeing tours are organized with the exception of Ooty. Getting them organized is a logistical nightmare and you'll have to be very self-driven to plan it all on your own.

2) The management is penny wise, pound foolish. They charge you for things as small as shampoo and dont give you a new bar of soap unless you ask multiple times. Furthermore, they definitely limit the quantity of food prepared in order to save money.

3) Dont buy anything from the retreat. Always organize your own transport (especially from Coimbatore airport, much cheaper than 35eur they charge). Dont exchange money at the retreat (they take a huge commission).

A few positives:

1) Staff is fantastic and ready to serve at all times. Cooks, yoga instructors, massage personnel, and cleaning staff all superbly kind and helpful.

2) Go for a walk around the resort area toward Coonoor - gorgeous nature walk!

3) Food is very good - the cook Mohan is fantastic and so nice.

4) This place is what you make of it - if you want to lose weight, you will. If you wanna just relax, you can. Complete freedom.

Room Tip: Stayed in a deluxe room - more than enough.
Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I came to the retreat with my 9 year old son who was diagnosed 3 months earlier with Juvenile arthritis - something the UK doctors said he would receive medication (steroids, methotrexate) for years to come. I brought him here and after 1 month he is now off all medication aside the recommended herbal medication the retreat prescribed. He is doing brilliantly and he is now the same little boy he was before the arthritis struck. The retreat worked wonders on both of us, and I cant recommend it highly enough to anyone.

The surroundings are breath taking, the massages are the best I've ever had, the staff are a credit to the retreat and could not do enough for you, the food is delicious, the one-on-one attention you receive is worth every penny you pay and more! Considering what is included in the price this is not unaffordable in any way, you get so much for your money and it caters for everyone with the different room options available.

Quite simply it was the most relaxing 4 weeks of my life and I have come back a much more positive person. Thank you to everyone!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed at the retreat in 2007 which was a wonderful experience. Meanwhile other family members and also friends went and loved it. I had the chance to go again for 3 weeks in June/July 2013 and was received as an old friend! I can only say good things about the resort, beautifully situatad in the mountains among teagardens, clean air comforatble rooms and excellent service. It is basic ,simmple, comfortable and so friendly.
Personal attention from docters who are easilly accesable for questions you may have.
The dayly body massages, accupresure yoga lessons, it is all there. Braekfast and lunch in the garden and the vegetarian cooking is a delight
A place to recommend if you want to be away from it all..

Room Tip: I had room nr 10, roomy and light
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Napa, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I was at the 'Ayurveda Retreat Hospital' as they call it from May 18 and departed June 1 2013. I arrived exhausted, irritated, depressed, worn out, and suffering from various aches and pains, change of life issues a decade and more before my time, and skin issues, and left walking on a cloud. I wish I could bottle that feeling of unity within myself regardless of any 'issues', comfort with my personal reality, clarity, peace.

The chefs and massage therapists were ever so kind, professional, and truly gifted. When I left my skin was so clear and soft and healthy. I am a serious believer in the emotional and medical benefits of ayurveda massage and herbal oils. It is hard to say how much of the benefits come from the actual treatment and how much comes from the spiritual orientation and prayers of the owners and staff.

I guess a small minority of guests have left unhappy? I think that comes from expecting something different than what is offered. This is India, with India style healing and wellness, not a European or American spa. I loved it. Come here willing to think outside the sad, sterile American box. Bring your spirit, accept the blessings offered, get with and follow the program, Expect the best, and you will get it, believe me. In a couple of situations I had to tell the doctor that this or that within the protocol didn't feel comfortable for me. Response was instant and accommodating.

I absolutely LOVED the food- mostly vegetable/fruit/lentil/spices. Coconut chutney and dosa were my reason for getting up in the morning. :-) I loved Dr. Mouli as well, and felt very well taken care of in a personal manner tailored to my needs and problems.

In hindsight, I would not have done weight loss, even though I am 30-40 pounds overweight. Others for whom weight is a significant medical or emotional issue might want to do weight loss, but for me, if I could do it over, I would enjoy the wonderful food and attend all the ayurveda and yoga classes I possibly could, asking questions that would help me make changes in my cooking and lifestyle that were sustainable in the long term once I went home. I did talk with the doctor about these thoughts and he was glad to work with me on this (protein instead of fruit, which after all packs a powerful sugar punch, for breakfast, etc.).

This is my personal preference only. Every guest must determine and voice their priorities. From one of my favorite wellness books, "You are not unhealthy because you are overweight, you are overweight because you are unhealthy." As I understand it for myself, healing must come before weight loss.

I would have done detox and stress reduction. I came too far, and love South Indian food too much especially when it is prepared so well and presented so nicely, to starve. I do believe panchakarma has amazing and positive results and was glad to follow that protocol, but for someone stuck in the overabundant and over-processed American diet, just eating this delicious healthy yet delicious (did I say delicious?) South Indian food on schedule, doing the yoga and walks, and absorbing the positive energy from staff, other guests, and the mountain surroundings, weight loss will occur naturally as a result of healthy habits.

I also would have stayed 3 weeks or a month. Ten-ish days was just not enough! The reasonable rates make it well worth it. The only issue I would have with returning is worrying that the guests at the retreat when I return will not be as wonderful as the guests who were there on my first visit.

I took my 10 year old daughter (we homeschool) with me. Her feedback (characteristically brief) is that it is great for kids and the staff are really nice. Having her with me freed me from worry about her back at home. Worrying about her during a separation may have interfered with my ability to absorb the goodness of the environment, food, company.

I am so glad she came along. As kids will, she managed the new and extremely different environment beautifully. I know she has learned from and continues to process and learn from the experience. She did not take treatment (except for a brief and inexpensive consult and massage with the wonderful doctor and massage therapists) but went on walks, observed yoga, was nourished by the delicious food and spoiled by the kindness of staff at the resort, and at times inspired me just by being herself, my little bodhisattva/yogini. Her observations and way of being in this setting were so precious. The chefs and guests were so very kind. This was an amazing positive experience for her.

She had some unstructured time... and sometimes did not feel like eating much... but what American, electronic-addicted kid does not need that? If medical or other issues crop up, or if I have the opportunity to go back, I would take her again in a heartbeat. If you have a young person to bring along, you may want to check the school schedules in India- if I understand right, kids are out of school in the month of May and so may be around during a stay at the retreat.

To sum up... after my first visit, I would return in a heartbeat. I would dearly love to work with the staff who took such good care of me. If possible I would go once or twice a year for 3 weeks to a month. I felt the price was amazing given the benefits. I hope others will experience the same comfort and wellness that I did, and that I can return before too long for the amazing wellness and (very personal) spiritual benefits.

Room Tip: I got a deluxe room for myself and my daughter. We wanted to be next door to my very dear friend who...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Melaka, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Ayurveda Retreat has brought me to believe that psoriasis can be well controlled using Ayurvedic medication. The retreat is a beautiful place and because it is built within nature and among the hills its is one of the most beautiful things to wake up to and the idea of doing yoga in a place like that makes it all more worthwhile. The people there i.e the ones who own and run the place as well as all the staff are wonderful people to be with and they help you feel at home. Its my third time in the Retreat and it will always be the place i go back to. Going to the Retreat has certainly change my life and made me see so much and i have met so many great people during my stay. The Retreat is like one big family and its an awesome place to be if you need to heal or just relax.

Room Tip: The Cottages and the Deluxe rooms are easier access to the yoga hall and the dining area.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Manalapan, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I just came back from India where I was staying in Ayurverda Reatreat and I already miss that place. That was my first time and I was there for 10 days but honestly its not enough, I realized that on the second day. The reatret located in an amazing part of India-in the mountains, where the day time is nice and warm and the night is cool, most importanantly is there are no mosquitos. The people and the atmosphere are very welcoming, it makes you feel like home! Everybody including staff,management, and all the guests are ready to help you when you needed which is very important especially when its your first time! I got there at 5 pm and they where waiting for me, doctor was on site and I got my first consulation and other recomendation right away. I was pleasantly surprised that all the staff and doctors live on site and if you need help or consultation they will be there for you even in the middle of the night. My program included 2 foyr hand massages, 3 sessions of a different kind of yoga and on top of that my personal treatment. The twice daily messages were really fantastic. the yoga teacher was very professional. There was always plenty of food so you never went hungry. Many thanks to cook who made my special birthday cake which was just for me. As I mentioned before the staff was very friendly and helpful and the pharmacist who made our individual medication and personally handed it to us was great. I did not have any problem with the internet because they have free wifi and calling cards are aviable to call your friends and family.
With my busy and hectic life in America this was a great trip, I got healthier, happier, and lost a few pounds so over all it was very helpful. My special thanks to Rekha and her daughter Vandana who did a lot of favors and helped me a lot! I will defently come back here but it will be a longer stay at least 3 weeks because i got more than I expepted and was 100% satisfied! I recomend it very highly to anyone, who is considering visting the retreat. Please forgive me if i made any mistakes in spelling.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Ayurveda Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!