“A sinking ship?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Vinayak

You added Hotel Vinayak to your Saves list
Hotel Vinayak
1.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   61, Geetha Hall Road | Opp. Railway Station, Coimbatore 641018, India   |
Ranked #23 of 48 Coimbatore B&B and Inns
Bangalore
“A sinking ship?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

This is the third time I stayed at Hotel Vinayak in the past 12 months, the previous ones being exactly an year earlier, in Oct '10. From that experience, I knew it would be an average place, but it seemed even worse than that on this occasion.

Well then, why did I choose to book here knowing how the hotel would be? Because I just wanted some no- frills night halt, and a good restaurant to cater to our needs, that's all.

On the final halt of my driving holiday over South India in Oct '11, I booked a triple bedded non- airconditioned room at Hotel Vinayak. Booking was made on full payment over a well known web portal. I drove to the hotel, parked my car and got to the reception with the reservation voucher.

My first impression was itself poor- the receptionist (if he can be called as such) was busy checking some figures on a calculator and did not bother to notice me. After he had finished his seemingly important calculations, he looked up, picked up the voucher and asked me for my name. I was exhausted after the long drive, and asked him to look for such obvious details on the voucher itself, something he did with a look of condescension. He then said we would get a double room with a bed on the floor to suit the definition of a triple bedded non- a/c room. I decided to give him a stern warning about his idea, and asked him to check up the rate I had paid- it matched that of a room with 3 cots. The lift was not working at that time, and another staff offered to show me the room before I decided on occupying it. So I climbed up 2 floors to the room he had in mind, and found there were 3 cots alright, but the room was very poor in regard to maintenance- the fan switch knob was missing, the drinking glasses had not been cleaned but neatly re- wrapped however!. Anyway, I was too tired for further corrections, and agreed to be put up there.

This hotel has a non- functional restaurant. I was aware of this and we had our dinner as well as breakfast in the nearby Geetha Hall, a traditional South Indian restaurant famous for its quality.

If you are a bachelor looking for transit accommodation, try booking for Hotel Vinayak over phone- your room is most likely always available thanks to low occupancy from such hopeless maintenance. I don't recommend the hotel for families or couples, unless it is just to catch a night's sleep, have good food at the neighboring Geetha Hall, and checkout.

Wonder if this hotel is turning into a sinking ship?

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Couples
Bangalore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

I stayed at Hotel Vinayak twice during Oct 2010, once when I halted after a 370 km drive from Bangalore, and again in transit to Ooty. I was there with my wife and kid of 9 yrs on both occasions. On the first occasion we stayed in a double room but it was frustrating when I discovered the cots were spaced apart by over 1/2 m with no way to bring them together. The room was also rather crammed leaving us hardly any space to move around. But as we were on transit I did not bother much. Another irritant common to many hotels in South India is the availability of hot water for morning baths. To get sufficiently hot water the hotel staff were suggesting we would have to discard around 6 to 8 buckets first from the tap! The other bad point was their restaurant was non- functional, but this fortunately did not matter to us as an excellent cafe was just 2 min away. I finally discovered that the hotel did have better triple- bedded rooms I was not aware of and decided I would try one of them on the second transit halt at Coimbatore.

On the second occasion I stayed in a triple bedded room, much better than the double room. Hot water was also quite promptly flowing, possibly because the hotel management knew of my previous experience and that I had come for the second time.

So finally a small family can stay reasonably well here provided it is a triple bedded room, and there is no issue with coming out of the hotel for food.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Vinayak? Share your experiences!