“Peaceful heaven - family feeling” 5 of 5 stars

You added Mahendra Prakash to your Saves list
Mahendra Prakash
Lake Palace Road, Udaipur 313001, India   |
Ranked #13 of 120 Hotels in Udaipur
“Peaceful heaven - family feeling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

OK there is no view of the lake, and you will have to walk 10min to reach it... Anyway I am not a big fan of this James Bond lake and I prefer by far the tranquility of this place.
You feel the family atmosphere (owners live in the haveli just aside) and staff is great, thanks to them I got to know they finally have hospitality schools in Northern India;)
The swimming pool is fantastic for India : deep enough, no moss, super clean
And breakfast, ahhhh breakfast is goood: have you seen homemade jams in India? Not me, not yet, not before. Pineapple/ papaya/ gooseberry.
Hope you can get a room, the deluxe ones aside the pool are the best.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Marblehead, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I would have loved this hotel if not for the begging and the misogyny. Let's cover the positives first—

The hotel is small and beautiful. It is the quintessential boutique hotel. The rooms are built around two courtyards— one marble and the other containing the pool and a lush green lawn. Both are quite beautiful. My room was comfortable and well appointed for a budget hotel. Really, little about this place feels like a budget hotel save the begging but more on that later.

The night desk clerk is worth a mention. He's funny, upbeat and energetic. He loves his city and will point you in the direction of the best stuff to see. I suspect you'll be his friend for life if you ask to see photos of his daughter. Neat guy.

Now to the not so great stuff in the order in which in was encountered—

First the easier stuff to mention: this is not a quiet place so if you want to sleep in, it may not be for you. Sound reverberates off all that marble and the open courtyards mean you hear all of the comings and goings. The hotel is on a very busy street. I like to walk and felt I was taking my life in my own hands in trying to cross the road, particularly at night.

Now on to the stuff that really set my teeth on edge—

I was picked up at the airport by a driver from the hotel. I mentioned I was going to Jodhpur next and he said he'd like to take me, quoting a price I thought was way too expensive. I gave him a tip. He begged for more. I was taken aback. I mentioned all of this to the hotel and told them I would indeed like to take a car to Jodhpur but I would prefer another driver and an all inclusive price. They promised to deliver. When the car arrived, it was the same driver and according to him, it was not all inclusive. The begging started when we reached the Jodhpur city limits. I was not amused and later wrote the hotel to tell them so.

The guy who took my bags up to my room didn't like his tip and asked for more. Excuse me?

I was exhausted when I arrived, it was late and I didn't want to go out for dinner. Fortunately, there is a restaurant on site so I grabbed a book and headed down. I grabbed a seat in the window, curling up on a cushion, enjoying finally being located. The man serving that evening came over with a menu insisting I must want room service. I told him I wanted to be served in the restaurant. He left a menu, didn't ask if I wanted anything to drink. When he returned, I placed my order and he asked what room I was in, saying he would deliver it. I said again I wanted to be served in the restaurant. He flat insisted I get room service. I was too tired to argue. Annoyed, I went to my room and waited. Room service had not appeared in a half hour (the restaurant was not busy, only a couple of tables were full), I went down to the restaurant thinking maybe I'd ask again to eat there. The guy saw me and told me to go back upstairs, he'd be right up with my food. I dutifully left again, still annoyed. My food arrived. I intended to give this guy a smallish tip but didn't have the right change. I asked for it. He didn't have it and refused to allow me to come get it or to deliver it. Being a single woman, I chalked not being allowed to eat in the restaurant up to misogyny. And by the way, the food wasn't good.

I was upset enough about all of this that I was tempted to find another place to stay. Instead, I spoke with the manager the next day. He apologized. Did he do anything about it? No. I followed up the verbal complaint with a written complaint when the driver again begged for more money upon dropping me in Jodhpur. I told him I would include all of this in a Trip Advisor review since perhaps the only way things will change is if it threatens to impact the tourist business.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I didn't actually stay at this hotel but took the Lonely Planet recommendation of using their pool facilities for the day. I was catching a train later that evening so I rocked up at about 12:00, went for a swim (really cold but refreshing), then enjoyed some reasonably priced lunch surrounded by the lawn tortoises and relaxed the day away. Worth every ruppee (200 ruppee per person).

If you've got a lazy day planned from your back packer schedule take it here. Well worth it!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Faridabad, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I think best place to stay in Udaipur, if you manage to have booking. It’s a palace converted into resort. You can have that feel and most importantly it has a very good and clean pool where you can relax. It is quite near to old Udaipur city and other good attractions in Udaipur, Staff is very polite, friendly and helpful. They will provide you the map and suggest you the places to visit.

Few Names Ashwani, Kailash and even other staff was very helpful. Thanks to all to make my trip memorable.

Room Tip: Look for a pool side one.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Mahendra Prakash is excellently located - just a short walk away from the bustling centre, and quiet enough to catch restful naps. Family run, with neat comfortable rooms and good food (low on spice, but tasteful just the same), the haveli behind dates back a couple of hundred years. There is a lovely step well within the hotel - sit around and have a lazy morning. The pool is neat and clean, the staff helpful and can help you organize your trips in and around Udaipur. Catch Ajayji or Anupamaji for some interesting bits of history colorful tales of Mewar. This is one place I am definitely going back to!!!

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel, well located in Udaipur. This family run hotel has around 20 rooms, a pool and poolside restaurant. They can organise anything for you, we did a cookery class and yoga, nothing seemed too much trouble for them. Restaurant is well priced with good food, pool is clean as are the rooms. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

spent 3 nights here and truly loved it. rooms are spacious and although need renovation they are reasonably clean and fresh. it is not central which is good for restful sleeps. just 10 minutes walking to get to the colorful and caotic centre. breakfast are not huge but ok to start the day, staff is helpful to organize trips around and will easily arrange you a taxi for long distances too.
they also have a swimming pool and sunbeds.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mahendra Prakash? Share your experiences!