“Awful Experience..!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 119 Hotels in Udaipur
New Delhi, India
“Awful Experience..!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Considering the brand name 'Lalit', the services and hospitality was really bad. It was booked for my first anniversary and i had specially called them to arrange for something special before we reach the Hotel to which they out rightly refused. I asked them to atleast keep a bouquet of flowers for my husband to which they agreed but the same was not there when we checked in.

We stayed in a Deluxe Valley view room, wherein they had joined two single beds to make it a double bed which was very uncomfortable. The bed had a head board which had electrical switches which again i thought were unsafe, especially while sleeping.

The Hotel had no cab facility for the guests and if asked for (in case of exigencies) they were highly priced.

The Staff wasn't very cordial or hospitable. You had to remind them again and again for something as small as a cup of tea.

Considering the terrible services we did not explore the lunch/dinner options at the Hotel. However, we did take the Breakfast Buffet, which was pretty average.

One of the Highlights that Lalit mentions is the grand welcome of its guests. The reception includes welcome drink, garland and a stallion which stands on two legs as a mark of welcome but i was not really happy to see that as the master of that horse hit him really hard if he did not perform. And i am sure that would not be a very healthy welcome sign for the foreign guests who checked in there.

As told earlier, there was no WIFI services available in the rooms. Further, a huge LCD put in the room did add to the decor i am sure, but half of the channels were unclear and had signal issues.

The rooms had very thin walls, so you can hear all the comings and goings in the adjoining room; a “lake-view” with barely a view. The water pressure in the showers was very low which was not addressed by the staff when the complaint was made.

Neither the services nor the rooms had a five star feel. It was more of a three star experience and i would surely not recommend anyone to stay at Lalit.

Room Tip: Do not go for Deluxe valley/lake view on the first floor, they aren't worth it.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Bhaskaran T, General Manager at The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace Udaipur, responded to this review, February 10, 2014

Namaskar!

Thank You for your review. On behalf of the entire team at The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace Udaipur, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and your valuable feedback. Your feedback about the customer service and overall quality of stay has been duly noted and discussed with the entire team for immediate corrective action.

Much as we strive to deliver an exceptional quality of service to all our guests, we regret that we have not been able to measure up to your expectations this time. I would like to assure you that this is a one off incidence and may i urge you to not let this be an indelible perception.

We remain firmly committed to the ethos and values of hospitality and customer centricity and in accordance, look forward to regaining faith and confidence in the brand and i hope will grant us an opportunity to serve you with renewed focus and enthusiasm.

Look forward to meet you during your next trip.

Bhaskaran. T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

We, three friends with wives stayed in this place during our Rajasthan vacation. The best place in our trip. Good location, good food, very helpful staff and well maintained. The welcome reception was very nice. All of us were garlanded with stone bead malas and offered welcome drink. The check-in was completed in minutes. Rooms were large, lake facing and with royal décor. The breakfast room was really regal and the spread awesome. The entire hotel is well decorated and gives a feeling of a real palace

Room Tip: Lake facing rooms are must
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Greetings from The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace Udaipur!

I have discussed your feedback in detail in an appropriate forum. The entire team Joins me in thanking you for your kind words and we look forward to have you staying with us soon.

Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

What I liked most:
- View on the lake. The hotel is on a hill and there's a nice garden
- Room: big and comfortable
- Cleanliness

What I didn't like
- Service not always adeguate
- Wi Fi service not available in the room
- Restaurant: food not good

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Greetings from The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace Udaipur!

Your feedback about the service quality has been noted and have discussed in an appropriate forum for immediate remedial action. The entire hotel is connected on a 6 mbps secured broadband network which of course is available at an additional charge.

Ahmedabad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

This was my family trip to Udaipur this January. Infact it was our one year old son's first trip ever. Everything was just perfect right from our arrival till our departure. We were welcomed in a traditional way with musicians playing music and a person making a horse dance for our arrival. A hostess was waiting right at the entrance with garlands to welcome us. She escorted us to the reception where the welcome drinks were served. Our check in took precisely 3 minutes and check out took less than 2 minutes. I was very impressed with the express check in and check out. The rooms are quite big. we chose the lake facing room and it had amazing view of the Fateh Sagar lake from its window. A nicely presented platter of chocolates was there in the room for our welcome. We had asked for a baby cot which was already there in the room. It was a high quality mom & me product. They had also kept a teddy bear inside the cot for my son. My wife just called to check if they had a small tub to bathe my one year old son, and there came a house keeping guy with an infant tub, a bucket, tumbler and a stool for ease in bathing our child. The breakfast spread was lavish each day. Mr. Nilanshu was there at the Padmini restaurant who made sure to arrange a high chair for our child and was very pleasing. Overall, each and every staff made sure that our stay at The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace is one of the most comfortable ones.
Ill give a 5 on 5 to the hotel staff, service, room size and amenities proviede. But I have rated it 4 star just because of its location. For those who wish to stay across the Fateh Sagar lake, this is the best tranquil property. But all the main attractions that we were interested in, including a few romantic dine out places were located across lake Picchola. Although commuting from here to places around lake Picchola doesn't take more than average 15 min, but still I prefer to put up bang on the place which has the attractions Im interested in. Also, since neither the rooms, nor the lobby is carpeted, at times the noise of the luggage trolleys or people dragging their luggage could be a little bothersome for some.
Overall, the services exceeded our expectations.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms give one of the best views of the Fateh Sagar lake and the Nehru garden
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Overall, we were very satisfied with the hotel, accommodations, proximity to various palaces, the restaurants, etc. The rooms were spacious and overlooking the lake. The restaurants accommodated our special meal requests and the view was amazing overlooking the lake. I even hit the gym which had several machines which were adequate for my purposes. Don't expect a 5 star gym but it serves the purpose. The staff was helpful. My only complaint was that they charged us Rs. 1500 for a mattress which is ridiculous.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Greetings from The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace Udaipur!

Thank you for your wonderful feedback and ratings on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that not only did we live up to your expectations, but exceeded it. Your comments and ratings will help us keep our spirits high and strive harder to provide seamless and intuitive service. We do charge a nominal amount for the extra occupancy which will cover the extra bed and also the additional breakfast. However we have noted your concern for appropriate remedial action.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

With the exception of one lovely waiter we had terrible service here. We were booked for four days over Christmas and it was supposed to be a luxurious treat during our two week trip to Rajasthan. However from the moment we checked-in we had issues.
We were told it was “mandatory” to pay 5000 rupees (around £50) for a Gala Dinner on Christmas Eve, despite the fact we didn’t check-in until 10.30pm after an 8 hour train journey, which the hotel was aware of as I had emailed them a few weeks earlier to arrange a pick-up from the station. The price and “mandatory” nature of this charge was not mentioned in my booking information and of course we didn’t want to go to a Gala Dinner. However the staff on the front desk just kept insisting it was mandatory and it was impossible for them to remove the charge. Their attitude was terrible, they didn't seem at all interested in sorting things out for us and it completely ruined our stay there. After quite a lengthy exchange with one of the front desk staff I asked to see the manager, I was told that the manager couldn't come out and see me as he was too busy. I found this very un-professional and rude. It took 48 hours to resolve this, we were eventually told we wouldn’t be charged. At no point did anyone apologise.
The arrogance of a company who feel they can charge you a mandatory fee of 5000 rupees (which is an awful lot of money for dinner in India), for something you were unaware of, didn’t request and certainly didn’t want is beyond me.
Smaller niggles include very thin walls, so you can hear all the comings and goings in the adjoining room; a “lake-view” with barely a view; and having to pay for internet access, the only place we were asked to pay in all India, despite this being the most expensive hotel by a long way.
Then to top it all we found out on our return to England we'd be charged twice for our stay, an over-charge of over £550! This has been resolved, but I had to phone them twice and email before anyone got back to me. The second time I called they offered to phone me back until they heard it was an international number, then they changed their mind and expected me to hold while they looked into it.
It looks pretty, but I wouldn't recommend it and we're sorry we chose to stay there. There are far nicer places, with much more helpful staff, charging a fraction of the room rate here.
I would like to add that in my 43 years I have never complained about anything while staying at a hotel, or given any hotel a bad review, this really was exceptionally poor.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Unfortunately only stopped here one night and was booked by ExtremeBikeTours when we did the 5 Star Rajasthan tour. The hotel section is relatively new and very well appointed. The main palace building is the reception and dining areas. The rooms are large, quiet and with air-conditioning that works well. Staff are most courteous and the food is excellent. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: There are two views, across the lake and across the city. Lake views are at front and the second flo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Bhaskaran. T

Been to The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace Udaipur? Share your experiences!