“So good we went 3 times!” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Shopping
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
A TripAdvisor Member
“So good we went 3 times!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Wandering round udaipur we saw lots of miniature paintings in silk & bone. Prakash is a friendly honest guy and he had the best quality for the best price. So good that we went back the next day and bought some more and then back the following day to buy a beautiful picture of Ganesh on old document paper that we couldn't find anywhere else in udaipur. No hard bartering or crazy prices which is refreshing. Highly recommend this shop.

Trier, Germany
5 attraction reviews
“Finally, truly amazing quality and an honest seller you can trust!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

During my trip to Udaipur, I was looking to find something truly unique and beautiful to bring back home. The miniature paintings on silk were an eyeful I could find in every single shop, both downtown and around Lake Pichola, and you could see every possible range of quality offered. I did my homework and did not decide to buy until I had seen what all of them had to offer and the prices. Of course, everyone's products were made by "themselves, their father, or their grandfather," so I am guessing that all the touts in Udaipur have the same grandfather, then! Price quotes ranged anywhere from double to triple the real value of the item. Say, for a 10x10 cm standard elephant with some fancy patterns around, I was quoted from 300 to 800 rupees. I was not satisfied, so finally, when I stumbled upon this store near the Jagdish temple (79 Gangaur Ghat, near Hotel Anjani), I was very happy I found it. The store is simple, but it has some of the most beautiful artwork you will ever see in town. I started by asking a quote for the standard elephant that you see everywhere else, for both silk and "camel bone", as I saw some pretty samples. The owner, Prakash, was very down to earth and calm, and after giving me a decent quote, told me right down that even thought it was pretty, the "camel bone" was nothing but plastic (in everyone's shops, including his), and it was not real bone, so the painting would not last, so maybe I would prefer something smaller on silk, even if it was less expensive. I asked him to show me some peacocks, and the stuff that he pulled out from the back was simply incredible. The work was so detailed and bright, I was taken aback. Even though I really liked the paintings, I still told him that I would go around and see more samples, and if his was the best, I would come back the next day. Unlike everyone else, he did not push nor made a ridiculous counteroffer to get me to buy on the spot. Very politely, he told me that even though he wanted to sell, he trusted that I would not see anything like the work on his shop on anyone else's stands, and hoped I would come back. Well, after visiting more shops, I indeed did not find anything even close, so I did come back, and bought not one, but THREE pieces. He made a discount and all in all, I think it was a great price for the quality of the artwork. Prakash also offers framing for a decent price, but you have to give him a couple of hours for that. I took my paintings to Delhi and framed them beautifully, and now I plan to give one as a gift to my dear mother for her new home. To sum it up, I strongly recommend this honest seller and talented artist in Udaipur! You will not feel any pressure and you will be satisfied with the artwork for sure. :)

Visited March 2014
Bourges, France
11 attraction reviews
“A nice and honest shop in Udaipur”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Art fact is one of the best and reliable shop in the city if you want to buy some paintings. Unlike many other sellers in Udaipur or in India (and I visited a lot) He's not going to lye to you and say bullshits like "we put gold and silver on the painting, it's pure silk, we use natural colours and the others don't..." So he's not going to ask you ten times the real price because you're a foreigner. Then have a look in his shop and buy if you love the paintings.

Visited July 2013