“Nice Property, Poor Management” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Hilltop Palace
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5, Ambavgarh, Fatehsagar, Udaipur 313 001, India   |
Ranked #62 of 120 Hotels in Udaipur
Mumbai
“Nice Property, Poor Management”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008

My wife and i visited Udaipur stayed at the hotel for 2 nights over a weekend. The propoerty is quite decent, but the management quite sad, to say the least.
We had booked the place directly and the hotel was kind enough to accomodate my request for an early-check in and confirm a lake view (yes, one thord or half their rooms are city facing). On arrival at about 5 AM, the boy at the recption woke up to give us a city facing room assuring to trf us at abt 10 AM, post the check-outs. At 11 AM, i requetsed the reception (a different guy) for a change of room. to which they flatly refused. I blew my top and created a furor with the Manager, who finally transfrred us to a lake-facing room. The rooms were quite nice, with a pretty large balcony and a clean bath; the pool too was quite clean, though i did not see many users.
The food is avoidable though the ambience in the garden (doubling as an open air restuaraunt in the evening) is wonderful.
Overall the management was rude. Infact, i had to show a printout of the e-mail confirmation to get them to waive the breakfast charges billed.

Avoidable to say the least.

• Liked — Good property, Great view
  • Disliked — Poor Management, rude / indifferent staff
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Presteigne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Hilltops Palace for two nights as we were on a VJV Tour of Rajastan with a party of 14. On arrival the hotel looked pleasant enough.
The rooms were a decent size although shabby. There was a swing in the room but did nothing but get in the way!! The bathroom was grubby and in need of a refurb.
The view from the balcony was good it overlooked the lake and the terraced gardens in which people sat to eat their evening meal. However it was so dark in the garden that we couldn't read the menu let alone see what we were eating. The food was hot but the service was a little slow.

Breakfast time was a joke. There weren't enough tables to sit at. The table cloths were grubby and there was a distinct lack of cutlery and food. Most of the plates that would have contained food were empty. The staff were rude and not at all forthcoming with the simplest of requests. Everyone was complaining it was a shambles.

My husband was not feeling very well on the morning of our departure and asked the staff in the resturant if he could have some water as he wasn't well enough to eat the breakfast. They asked for the room number so that they could charge us. When my husband explained that he wasn't having any of their breakfast he just needed water they still asked for the room number. The staff started arguing with husband so he left in disgust.

When people from our tour assembled in the foyer to wait for our coach, I learnt that 4 of them had been sick during the night blaming the food. I would not stay there again. It was the worst hotel of the tour that is why I felt compelled to write my first trip advisor comments!!

• Liked — The Views as it was set up high on a hill
  • Disliked — The lack of customer service, I'm not a needy person, but I cannot stand rudeness
  • Stayed February 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2008

I had to attend a wedding and friends booked the hotel.
From the outside does not look special but rooms have A/C , your own shower, cable TV and room service. the hotel also has a lift. I stayed a week in the week I stayed did not see one cockroach or fly.
The rooms are basic but total cost for seven nights of A$220 it was a great deal.
The hotel is near to the post office and an internet cafe is 100 meters from hotel.

• Liked — Staff were friendly, clean rooms and very cheap
  • Disliked — The location is not close to markets
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2008

Set atop a hill (no, really) above Udaipur, but within easy reach of the city by tuk tuk, this hotel had great views, charming rooms (large, with a balcony, a view and a swing), pretty gardens, tranquil pool (tho it was a bit chilly), courteous and efficient service, and wonderful garlic naan bread!

• Liked — Size of rooms and the swing!
  • Disliked — Bathrooms needed an update
  • Stayed January 2008
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2007

Udaipur is a beautiful city, there is so much to do and so much to admire. The city has its own magic, and I would love to go bak again, in fact, I wish I were there now. But Hilltop hotel is horrible. We arrived early in the morning, around 7. The restaurant was empty, and the food looked stale, as if it was brought from 2 nites ago. The receptionist was not welcoming at all. we had our room after 45 minutes, which is very understandable, but the biggest shock was the rooms we were assigned.

There was dust everywhere, the room seemed as if it were unoccupied for months. The bedding was dirty and falling apart, and the furniture, if any was really old, it has to go to the junk yard, and I am not exaggerating.

we asked for better rooms, and we were told that the hotel was full, and it was not true as I can tell from the restaurant.... It never got busy. By 11 oclock I went to speak to the manager, and he said the hotel is full, but he will do his best. we waited, and waited but no response, and no attention whatsoever. meanwhile two guys came trying to clean theroom. But no offence! they were the most useless cleaners I have ever seen in my life. We called the manager again, and told him we are leaving, then he said OK, I have better rooms for you. But it was too late, I lost my temper by that time, and I couldn't trust the people working there.
the hotel needs some major work and renovation, it is a pity to have in such a beautiful city, such a horrible hotel, with such bad management.

And guess what? till today I couldn't get my money back. But I left, I refused to let them spoil my beautiful holiday...

Keep your sanity, and just don't go to hilltop. (I call it now HELLTOP)There are so many other small midrange hotels in Udaipur. we stayed in Mahendra Prakash hotel. And that was a REAL DELIGHT... and a REAL TREAT. (read review)

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
LONDON, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2007

Great to be high above the town, although the views from the hotel are not the "classic" views of Udaipur. The hall and stairs are spacious and clean. The room too was large, clean, with a big bed, hanging bed, and a balcony overlooking the gardens.

It's easy and cheap to get a cycle rickshaw down from the hotel and in to the main part of town. So getting in and out of town is not a problem at all.

Where the hotel really came in to its own was when my travelling companion had serious illness. This had been contracted elsewhere (probably Bera) and was sufficiently worrying to warrant calling a doctor at 3am. In the event, following discussion they didn't come out until the morning - which was an agreed course of action, but the hotel were wonderful, patient and very helpful during a worrying time.

• Liked — location staff
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Penang Island, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2007

Three of us ended up staying here by default as the hotel that a travel agent in Delhi had booked us into proved to be disastrous. In its time this hotel would have been wonderful, the views from the terrace and the rooftop restaurant are lovely. On our first night we had dinner down on the lawn, service was good and the food was nice.

Apart from our drink waiter mixing my G & T with coke !!! and being given two different answers to a question by front desk staff we have no complaints. The rooms are clean - especially the linen and the staff are pleasant.

The rooms are overpriced but because we were walk-ins the rate was probably higher. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Hilltop Palace? Share your experiences!