“Wonderful stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 181 Udaipur B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Wonderful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I stayed in this Guest House during my visit to Udaipur over the Christmas period. Located in Gangaur Ghat and it walking distance to the lake, temple and palace it is superbly situated. My room was beautiful to say the least, spacious and elegantly decorated.
The view of the lake palace from the rooftop was exquisite. I enjoyed many evenings on this rooftop relaxing and taking in the view.
The owner Arvind is lovely. He was always friendly and was eager to ensure I was enjoying my stay. His helper Manue was equally as kind. He is also a fantastic cook and I tried many of his dishes, each so tasty!
I cannot recommend this guest house more. During m stay in Udaipur it really felt like my home, somewhere to chill, relax and take a break from the busy streets. Plus with rooms from 400 rupees it is value for money!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Is a nice place to stay, it is clean and the people are so nice, really nice view from the rooftop of the lake, it is located in a small and quiet path just few meter from the lake ..................................................................

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

I stay here two nights, the view from Roof-Top not the best but is still amazing. The host is very friendly he want to learn the word "friend" by all langue. Manu (the staff) is a nice guy and make a excellent chicken fried rice.

HIGH recommend if you visit Udaipur

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Broome, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Our room was 300 rupees, but he brought the price down to 250 which was nice of him. Manu is the guys name. Really nice fellow, he helps out his friend with the guesthouse. No one is ever downstairs manning the desk though, so if you want to speak to anyone, you have to climb to the rooftop where they will be.
Our room was perfect for what we wanted, a bit small, but we paid next to nothing! Beds are comfortable, ther was a toilet and shower in the room. The rooftop is amazing to hang out on during the day. Stunning view. And they serve food up there.

Downsides are the rooms need a proper clean. The hot water wasn't usually hot water, and our shower head was broken, so it was just a thick stream of water. All of this didn't really bother us, as the staff, views on the rooftop and location make up for it!
It's located in the centre of old Udaipur, very cool area. Great restaurants around, street food...
Worth more than you pay anyway.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Phimai, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

The guest house is situated close to the lake, the palace and main tourist street. It has a nico view over the lake from the restaurant at the top. I stayed 6 days there. Arvind and Mano are really friendly and helpful. I definitely recommend this guest house for budget travelers and would go there again !

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
perth wa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

brilliant location very close to the lake, fantastic views of the lake and palace from the rooftop restaurant. the staff were very friendly and helpful to us. the room was clean and tidy and contained everything we needed. we ate at a restaurant owned by the same people who own the hotel ans was led there by one of the guys from reception, lovely food but can't remember the name. a nice cheap well positioned place to stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Kathmandu, Nepal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

So I arrived in Udaipur at the end of my India trip with only 400 rs and a train ticket to Delhi in my pocket. I said to the staff (Manu, I think his name was) that I need a room for the night, but I could only pay you 150 rs. I couldn't afford to pay any more. The rest of my money had to go to bread and water and transport to Delhi Airport where I slept for the last night of my trip.

Manu was kind enough to give me a bed in the staff dorm room where he slept for my asking price of 150 rs. A double room in the guesthouse is 300rs. The room was adequate with a hot shower and western style toilet. It even had a view of the lake and palace. Manu slept in another bed in the same room as me. Despite my unvoiced concerns about having my property disappear, nothing went missing.

To top everything off, Manu prepared me roti in the evening and a cup of tea in the morning all for free. They understood the stupid situation that I was in and still allowed me to stay with them. I cannot be more thankful for the kindness and empathy displayed by Manu and the staff at Devi Vilas towards me. If you are looking for a cheap, clean room with super nice staff, then take a taxi straight to Devi Vilas.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Devi Vilas Guest House? Share your experiences!