“Wow... 5* plus 50 more” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chandra Niwas Homestay

You added Chandra Niwas Homestay to your Saves list
Chandra Niwas Homestay
2.5 of 5 Guest house   |   43 / 44 Shanti Niketan Colony | Bedla-Badgaon link road, Udaipur 313001, India   |
Ranked #1 of 179 Udaipur B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Wow... 5* plus 50 more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is by far the best place I have stayed whilst travelling. Samvit really does take care of his guests like a friend he has known for years. Chandra Niwas offer some excellent tours which i would recommend booking. Also ask him to take you for ice cream at Happinezz, I'm sure that he wont be able to resist. Sam also recommended the best restaurants to visit and joined us on a number of occasions. During our stay we visited the centre for local school children in a village close to Udaipur and shared in the DAAN foundations work. This was a brilliant experience and I would recommend anybody to volunteer here. I cannot recommend this home stay highly enough. If you come here you will not regret it. Not only will you stay at the best place in India, you will also be contributing to an excellent organisation who aim to put education on the agenda of local villagers as all profits go towards the DAAN Foundation. We hope that our paths will cross again some day... :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stayed at Chandra Niwas after traveling India for some time and I can with certainty say that it was the best stay on my trip! It is definitely a place that I would like to return to at some point and I would recommend everybody who goes to Udaipur to do the same.

The host is a very warm hearted and kind man who very much cares for his guests. Samvit has an extremely nice energy and is pleasant to be around. He knows his city like his back pocket and is capable of helping you arrange trips around the city. The homestay also provides great trips – like Panther Safari, to a good price. Definitely worth having a look at!
During my stay at Chandra Niwas I ate in their cafeteria which was a nice experience. The food was cheap and delicious!

Chandra Niwas is such a lovely place with a very special calm energy and atmosphere. Not at least does the dog Donna add on to this wonderful atmosphere. The rooms are clean and very nice decorated. The common area is a very nice place to sit and just chill with one of the books from the bookshelf or watch a movie on the TV.

I wish I could give Chandra Niwas more than five stars because it definitely deserves that. I’m already looking very much forward to go back!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Vladivostok, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

That was the best place in all my traveling experience. And I have traveled a lot. Do not hesitate! The feeling of complete warmth and hospitality comes in a split second when you step into this beautiful place!

• Stayed July 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We chandra niwas and charm us all. Sam is great thanks to the experience we know another and works of the foundation with families, womens and children.chandra niwas is undoubtedly the best option in udaipur

• Stayed July 2013
Aichtal, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I recently returned from a 5-weeks journey through India and I have to say that staying at Chandra Niwas guesthouse was definitely the highlight of my trip. In no other guesthouse I stayed I felt so much at home and at peace. CN is marvelously located away from the noise of the city in a quiet neighbourhood. Being surrounded by families and living in this family house you really don't feel like a tourist anymore. Samvit, who runs CN, and his family are extremely polite and welcoming and it was a pleasure sitting down and chatting with them over a cup of chai or good coffee (the kola coffee is truly delicious by the way).
What I loved the most is that you actually do good by staying at CN: Samvit runs his own NGO, the DAAN foundation, which supports local communities for example via after school youth centres. The profits from CN directly support the NGO. I love engaging in volunteer work and thus I appreciated the opportunity very much to be able to visit one of the centers, attend the after school program and play with the kids. Having seen the kids there and the teachers and how they learn in a safe and respectful environment really filled my heart with joy.
Furthermore, I enjoyed it very much visiting rural areas around Udaipur. Samvit took me to an amazingly picturesque temple hidden in a small valley. Meeting the local people and being welcomed by them was a very special experience. So was the way to the temple - a true off-road Jeep safari ;)
Samvit is full of energy, and his dedication to his work, the NGO and Chandra Niwas, is truly inspiring. Moreover he is very insightful and it was great talking to him about Indian culture and society.
Thus I can only wholeheartedly recommend staying at Chandra Niwas guesthouse. It is an enriching experience in every sense and not just mere accommodation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

With the moment that I entered Chandra Niwas I felt at home. The warm, cozy, familiar atmosphere makes you feel comfortable right from the beginning. The people you meet are amazing, including the owner Sam who runs the homestay to fund his non-profit-oorganization DAAN. By staying at CN you support 'Development Action Awareness Nationwide - who are developing a program that works on issues related to awareness and education'
I highly recommend CN to everyone who's coming to Udaipur!!!

Room Tip: There's rooms with AC and rooms without - up to you!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Before I came to India, I was so freaked out by all the news and stories people told me about this country and I even tried to prepare some pepper powder spray in my pocket. But after being picked up by the lovely host Samvit who has a very pirate-style mustache, my fear for this country has totally disappeared. Sam was so nice to introduce me this city on the way to his homestay even though I could see that he was actually a little bit tired. And also he made jokes from time to time which made me feel that I was not in a new country meeting strangers but visiting an old friend instead. Besides, during my stay in this hostel, Sam's family also treated me very nice. His father Mr. Sudir took me to have a traditional India breakfast on the day when I unexpectedly woke up very early and his lovely wife shared me some information about how girls live in this country. All these conversations are very interesting and I can still remember most of them.
Another thing which is good about this homestay is that part of the profits they make is used to run a charitable organization called Development Action Awarenss Nationwaide (DAAN), which was founded by Sam four years ago I think. It aims to provide free education for local kids and inspire them to explore the fields they are interested in. At the same time, Sam also wants to help them to be aware of the importance of healthy eating habits and what they can do to avoid certain diseases. Volunteers are needed all year long if any of you is interested.
Sam is quite busy every day, running the homestay as well as the organization, but he is always ready to take me and other guests to have a beautiful drive by the lakes and take us to have delicious food in different places. I really appreciate it!!!! The way he drives his Jeep is fantastic !!!
Anyway, I had really good time when I was here and hope his organization could be beneficial to more kids in the future. :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Chandra Niwas Homestay? Share your experiences!