“A truly amazing experience ( and we don't just mean tigers)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sher Bagh

and 1 more site!
You added Sher Bagh to your Saves list
Sher Bagh
Sherpur - Khiljipur | Ranthambhore Tiger Reserve, Sawai Madhopur 322001, India   |
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Sawai Madhopur
New York City
“A truly amazing experience ( and we don't just mean tigers)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

Staying at Sher Bagh for three nights was a terrific experience. The safaris in the mornings and afternoons are probably the highlights and if you get to see the tigers it becomes and unforgettable experience, but everything about the place is great from the tents, comfortable and modern but still a little rugged, to the meals, continental and Indian some of the best we had in India, and the service, attentive and special. The stories around the camp fire were so much fun especially when complemented by good food and a terrific ginger martini!
Massages in one of the tents in the garden soothes us from traveling and a car for our transportation was organized very rapidly when we decided not to take the train again.
Altogether an experience I hope I'll get to repeat soon!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

I consider myself as an extensive traveler especially looking for wildlife wherever it can be on the planet. Africa is often considered as the place to be and I agree that it is rather difficult to top (especially for the quality of wildlife encounters and the accomodations that you can find). Still, India has a lot to offer and a place like Ranthambore is really a jewel as you can really see a lot of animals in wonderful and varied environments. With that in mind, Sher Bagh with it's very good atmosphere and comfort (propelled by an excellent service and staff) was the cherry on top of 6 great days. We have not met the new manager that was apparently away but got an outstanding welcome and treatment from Yusuf who contributed to make this place so special to us (one of our best places in the world) and with whom we truly shared passion for wildlife and tigers.
We actually saw 7 tigers, 2 sloth bears, a lot of sambar, spotted dear, muggar's crocs, a lot of birds among which incredible sightings of crested serpent eagle and black shouldered kite.
Only the leopards and Macchli the "lady of the lake" refused themselves to us.
The Sher bagh is very close to the park entrance gate and the management seems to have very good relations with the park's management (believe me this is quite important!) This can really make the difference as you do not want to be too far from the park as you might otherwise experience the daily hustle and bustle of Sawai Madhopur.

When we'll come-back to Ranthambore (if the Indian government does not close the national parks), we cannot imagine going elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Service was top notch. Loved the little touches like hot water bottles in our bed at night and on the morning game drives, the tea welcome at the train station, the champagne welcome when we got to the hotel. The campfires are so much fun to have dinner around. Although it's buffet, it's very good, with vegetables from their on-site organic garden. The only complaint is that there is not hot water except for certain times of the day and when you call and ask for it. Other than that, this was a highlight of our trip to India.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We spent two nights here and everything from the warm welcome, the hot water bottles on the early morning game drives, the massages in the evenings and the picnic on departure was just perfect.

I can't fault it in any way and would love to have stayed longer.

Room Tip: There are twelve tents - tents numbers one to ten are in a circle and eleven and twelve are slightly...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Northamptonshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

Nine years ago we stayed here and loved it. Now it has changed hands (although the manager, Usha, has set up a place next and we went to visit her) and some things have changed. It has air conditioning in the tents and the beds are not as lumpy. It has a restaurant tent, which is lovely and a sitting room tent, which we felt didn't work and it has a pool which is hidden and so doesn't spoil the jungle feeling. The new manageress, Alessandra, was lovely and the food good. At first it didn't feel as friendly between the guests and people kept more to themselves than when we were here last, but then again, we did all arrive at the same time, so had no notes to compare. Every evening the meal was served around the camp fire, which would have been a nice novelty if it had been done just once, but every evening was not a good idea. It was too dark to see the food and an uncomfortable position to eat in. Despite saying that it was still a very good experience and the park was magical! Great sightings of both tigers and sloth bears.
I would highly recommend Sher Bagh.

Room Tip: They are all the same, 12 tents and perfect for safari trips.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Northumberland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

My husband and I spent three nights here and we both fell in love with the resort. The overall ambience is peaceful and quietly luxurious. The fact that there are only 12 tents ensures an excellent level of service, though given the training the staff go through and the very professional and personable manager, Alessandra, I think the service would be superb regardless of the number of tents.
I adored sleeping under canvas each night and the fact that the resort was lit with lamps rather than electricity (however there is electricity to the tents 24 hours) added to the ambience.
Breakfast and lunch were taken in the dining tent and dinner outside-the food was very good with the majority of the ingredients coming from the camps own kitchen garden and farm. Dinner each night was buffet style and eaten on individual tables around the campfire. This os the only element I would have preferred to have been done slightly differently-the layout meant that you were, in effect, limited to talking to your immediate neighbours though this really is a very minor grumble.
I would, without hesitation, recommend Sher Bagh to anyone who wants to try to see tigers (we saw two but there's no guarantee!) and who would enjoy colonial style rustic luxury.

• Stayed October 2011
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

The Sher Bagh was everything I hoped for and more: the tents, service, surroundings and location. I don't like Indian food so was not enamoured with dinner which always consisted of an Indian meal but my partner found it to be very good. I was kindly provided with pasta instead which was a great relief for me. The other meals, which were non-Indian, were wonderful. Loved the area where we ate breakfast and lunch out in the open but surrounded by tents and vegetation.

As for the tent, it was done in a style that I would call British colonial India with dark woods and a coziness that was extremely inviting. Air conditioning during the day was provided by a fan in our tent which I found perfectly fine. Returning to the tent after dinner, everything was ready for a good night's sleep. Exterior door flaps were untied, mosquito netting was in place around the bed area (I should also mention that malaria pills are adviseable for Ranthambore Park ), a hot water bottle was warming up the bed (it gets quite chilly at night in March), and a heater was going. The bathroom was a good size and had a good shower with robes provided for afterwards.

During the day, when not on safari, I would sit on the small verandah of our tent which had a table and two chairs and contemplate the surroundings which were lush and well cared for- both the tame and the wilder parts. I loved walking around the grounds, birdwatching. Lots and lots of birds just around the camp.There was also a langur monkey that would sit up in the same tree every morning near the tents. Don't worry. He or she never came down.

There are not many tents and so there is a fair amount of privacy. The tents are situated in the form of a crescent with good spacing between them. In the evenings, everyone gathered, on chairs in a circle around a fire, for a drink with the assistant manager, Alessandra, and the manager,Yusuf Ansari, a writer and historian, and also very involved in the ongoing conservation work in Ranthambore Park. (Any questions you have about the history of India or conservation efforts, Yusuf is the man to ask. ) When guests were ready to eat, out came small tables on which a colorful Indian meal was placed for each guest.

The service is absolutely perfect. Alessandra, the asistant manager, was amazing. When I mentionned that I was looking for a certain book on Birds in India, she took the information and next thing I knew, she had contacted a bookstore in New Delhi and arranged for me to pick the book up upon our return to Delhi. When I did visit the bookstore (a good one at Khan Market in Delhi), I also picked up a book about Sonia Gandhi written by Yusuf, the manager. All I can say is, you would be hard-pressed to find a more exceptional team than these two.

As for the safaris, the park is very close by and the landscape in the park is quite varied. There are many birds and animals so that if you don't see a tiger, you still come away very satisfied. I should mention, however, that in March, you come back from safaris covered in the park's fine red dirt. Also, you have to dress warmly in the morning as it really is chilly, despite having a hot water bottle under your bum. I wore a hat and down vest and was not sorry. It does eventually warm up and by the afternoon, it was very hot.
On the safaris, if a tiger is spotted, the guide lets all the other guides know so that the tiger may end up surrounded by a circle of jeeps and cantors ( which seat approx. 16 people). Note also that once you've booked your seat, it can't be changed. The park (in accordance with government requirements) is very strict as to who enters the park.

There is also a pool at the Sher Bagh which looked really nice, but I didn't have time to try it. Note that two safaris a day can keep you pretty busy.

To sum it up, given the chance, I would return to the Sher Bagh in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sher Bagh? Share your experiences!